Euro 2008 Austria-switzerland

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congratulations to England for the convincing 3-0 victory against Estonia! That gives hope for the match against Russia this Wednesday.

Professional job well done. The game was over really by half-time. Credit to Estonia who gave it a real go in the second half but without threatening often. On to the big one on Wednesday.

Denmark 1- Spain 3 :rolleyes:

For me, this result is a surprise. I really think Denmark would win or the match would end draw. The Spaniards form in the away matches has been very bad. For Sweden this is very good but I feel sorry because I wanted to see Denmark in Euro 2008!

We (Turkey) have to win this otherwise we can pretty much kiss out chances goodbye. :o

Whaoh, we were so horrendous and out of shape with Moldova. Thank the lord above that we managed to squeeze through with a tie.

It's just a shame on how poorly the Turkish team has performed over the last couple of games. By the looks of it, it'll take an absolute miracle if manage to win our 2 games against Greece & Norway. :blink:

Whaoh, we were so horrendous and out of shape with Moldova. Thank the lord above that we managed to squeeze through with a tie.

It's just a shame on how poorly the Turkish team has performed over the last couple of games. By the looks of it, it'll take an absolute miracle if manage to win our 2 games against Greece & Norway. :blink:

Unfortunately my loyalties mean that I will be hoping for two loses, I did hope Turkey took one of the two spots along with Norway, since the football they played in Japan was far better than anything I have ever seen out of Greece, a lot more flowing and attacking, not defensive.

pretty much look good to join Switzerland and Austria in the finals, pretty much the same group with Romania and Austria as new comers and Latvia, Russia and Denmark on the outside looking in.

Romania is no newcomer -- it has already participated in the EUROs of 1984, 1996 and 2000.

Group A

Kazakhstan vs. Portugal

Azerbaijan vs. Serbia

Belgium v Armenia

Group B

Ukraine vs. Faroe Islands

Georgia vs. Scotland

France vs. Lithuania

Group C

Turkey vs. Greece(draw)

Malta vs. Moldova

Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Norway(draw)

Group D

San Marino vs. Wales

Rep of Ireland vs. Cyprus

Germany vs. Czech Republic(draw)

Group E

Russia vs. England

FYR Macedonia vs. Andorra

Group F

Denmark vs. Latvia

Liechtenstein vs. Iceland

Sweden vs. Northern Ireland

Group G

Luxembourg vs. Romania

Albania vs. Bulgaria

Holland vs. Slovenia

I think these teams will qualify to Euro 2008 at Wedenesday: Sweden :) , Croatia and England!

sverige.gif

zlatan_1175156586.jpg

Group A

Kazakhstan vs. Portugal

Azerbaijan vs. Serbia

Belgium v Armenia

Group B

Ukraine vs. Faroe Islands

Georgia vs. Scotland

France vs. Lithuania

Group C

Turkey vs. Greece(draw)

Malta vs. Moldova

Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Norway(draw)

Group D

San Marino vs. Wales

Rep of Ireland vs. Cyprus

Germany vs. Czech Republic(draw)

Group E

Russia vs. England

FYR Macedonia vs. Andorra

Group F

Denmark vs. Latvia

Liechtenstein vs. Iceland

Sweden vs. Northern Ireland

Group G

Luxembourg vs. Romania

Albania vs. Bulgaria

Holland vs. Slovenia

I think these teams will qualify to Euro 2008 at Wedenesday: Sweden :) , Croatia and England!

I hope so!

Newcomers from the last tournament. Austria has also qualified previously.

No, Austria has never participated in a EURO. And if you wanted to mention the newcomers from the last tournament, you should also have mentioned that Poland hasn't participated in the last EURO and even at none of the previous EUROs.

No, Austria has never participated in a EURO. And if you wanted to mention the newcomers from the last tournament, you should also have mentioned that Poland hasn't participated in the last EURO and even at none of the previous EUROs.

I forgot Poland did not participate in the last Euro, you don't need to attack me on this.

Russia go into Wednesday's UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifier against England seeking three vital points and buoyed by Guus Hiddink's decision to sign a new contract.

Hiddink boost

Russia sit third in Group E with 18 points, five behind their opponents but with a game in hand – although, with three matches left, time is running out for Hiddink's men. There may be no room for manoeuvre, yet thanks to the coach's decision to pledge his future to the cause until the 2010 FIFA World Cup finals, the team have few distractions as they chase the victory that would maintain their realistic aspirations of reaching next year's tournament. "I like this job and I like Russia and those are important reasons for me to prolong my deal," said Hiddink.

Artificial surroundings

England will be in for a new experience at the Luzhniki Stadium, the venue for the 2007/08 UEFA Champions League final. Although that game will be played on a specially laid grass pitch, Wednesday's qualifier will take place on artificial turf and, even if the visitors practised on similar surfaces before leaving for Moscow, the hosts are hoping the surface will give them an edge. "For England, having to play on this kind of pitch is unsettling enough," said striker Andrei Arshavin. "Whether they will get used to it or not, is another question."

Record crowd

Russia will also be able to rely on substantial home support, with more than 500,000 fans having applied for tickets. The country's biggest stadium has been sold out for only one previous international, the 1-1 draw against Ukraine in October 1999 which ended their UEFA EURO 2000™ qualifying attempt. With that 75,000 crowd likely to be eclipsed by 78,000 supporters at the Luzhniki, hopes are high of a happier outcome this time round.

Scoring concerns

However, Hiddink – who is without first-choice right-winger Vladimir Bystrov and his most obvious replacement Ivan Saenko – has plenty to ponder. Russia may have thrived against F.Y.R. Macedonia and Estonia, but they drew twice with Croatia and were held at home by Israel before September's 3-0 defeat at Wembley left their qualification bid hanging by a thread. "We need to win but it's not so easy to do that," said the coach, whose charges have failed to score in three matches against Croatia and England. "England are better and have more confidence. We need to score but we should not get carried away with attacking – we also need to keep a close watch on their leading players."

If UEFA have deemed this surface not good enough for the CL final, why is it ok to play a vital Euro 2008 qualifier on it? It seems very odd to me. I know it should probably only be a minor factor in Wednesday's game and that it shouldn't in any way be used as an excuse if England lose but it is still very odd that a game of this calibre is allowed to take place on a plastic pitch.

More on the pitch here (BBC)

Your thoughts?

So, why rip it up and put grass down for the CL final?

I don't believe it is being ripped up, just overlaid with grass for the final because of UEFA regulations in regards to that match. Artificial surfaces are more particle in cold climates year-round, whereas grass is not, therefore it is easier to have the artificial turf for most of the occasions. Also since the game is being held in October and temperatures in Moscow this time of year are at single digits, its not particle to have grass in October, it would cost far more to maintain, heat and water than it would when the Champions League final is in better growing conditions in May.

Also the English better not under-estimate the difference this turf causes, it cased a far few peoples for teams at the U-20, so it will cause problems for some players, probably Rooney most since he loves to whine. Good thing its not Italy or Portugal, the whining would never end.

Archived