Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCD 2012

Euro 2008 Austria-switzerland

I couldn't find the old thread of the Euro 08 , so I decided to make a new one. Another round of matches today ! Heres are my predictions.

Winners in BOLD

08/09 Grp B Scotland 15:00 Lithuania

08/09 Grp C Hungary 16:00 Bosnia-Herzegovina

08/09 Grp E England 17:00 Israel - DRAW

08/09 Grp G Luxembourg 17:00 Slovenia

08/09 Grp G Belarus 19:00 Romania

08/09 Grp E Russia 19:00 F.Y.R. Macedonia

08/09 Grp B Georgia 19:00 Ukraine

08/09 Grp F Latvia 19:15 Northern Ireland

08/09 Grp D Wales 19:30 Germany

08/09 Grp C Malta 19:30 Turkey

08/09 Grp F Iceland 20:00 Spain

08/09 Grp A Serbia 20:15 Finland - DRAW

08/09 Grp D San Marino 20:15 Czech Republic

08/09 Grp E Croatia 20:30 Estonia

08/09 Grp F Sweden 20:30 Denmark

08/09 Grp D Slovakia 20:30 Republic of Ireland

08/09 Grp G Netherlands 20:30 Bulgaria

08/09 Grp B Italy 20:50 France - DRAW

08/09 Grp A Portugal 21:00 Poland

08/09 Grp C Moldova 21:00 Norway

"Stylish England overwhelm Israel"

When was the last time we saw a headline like that? Same again on Wednesday please!

Link

Germany defeated Wales 2-0 -- but nevertheless, it was a rather weak performance. Especially the last 25 minutes or so were very unattractive since the German team mostly tried to save its lead. It was a flashback to the dark years of German "Ergebnisfußball" (result football, i.e. "score a one-goal lead and then defend it for the rest of the match"). Hopefully we won't see that again since that way of playing absolutely contradicts Jogi Löw's philosophy.

However, the German team is already on the verge of winning the ticket to Austria and Switzerland. It's because Ireland (which is currently ranked third in Germany's qualification group D) only drew Slovakia tonight (2-2) and thus already lags 8 points behind Germany. So if the Czech Republic defeats Ireland on Wednesday, Germany only needs to defeat or draw Ireland in its next qualifier on October 13 in Dublin. But Ireland will be a tough piece of work again.

Big blow for the Irish to concede that last gasp equaliser against Slovakia. They really need to win in Prague on Wednesday now.

Spain must be the most overated National team in the world. The match against Iceland didn´t impressed at me! Then what about NI? I think that they seems to be better than they really are! Denmark is a better team than NI! But their chances to make it to EM 2008 is low!

With four rounds remain this is the teams in the top spots! Teams as Spain, Italy and England seems to have some problems!

GROUP A:

POLAND

FINLAND

GROUP B:

FRANCE

SCOTLAND

GROUP C:

GREECE

NORWAY

GROUP D:

GERMANY

CZECH REPUBLIC

GROUP E:

CROATIA

RUSSIA

GROUP F:

SWEDEN :D

NORTHERN IRELAND

GROUP G:

ROMANIA

NETHERLANDS

sverige.gif

zlatan_1175156586.jpg

Pillan, if you have followed Group F in any detail, you would have seen how well Northern Ireland have performed. You can't fluke being in the position they're in.

Spain must be the most overated National team in the world. The match against Iceland didn´t impressed at me! Then what about NI? I think that they seems to be better than they really are! Denmark is a better team than NI! But their chances to make it to EM 2008 is low!

With four rounds remain this is the teams in the top spots! Teams as Spain, Italy and England seems to have some problems!

GROUP A:

POLAND

FINLAND

GROUP B:

FRANCE

SCOTLAND

GROUP C:

GREECE

NORWAY

GROUP D:

GERMANY

CZECH REPUBLIC

GROUP E:

CROATIA

RUSSIA

GROUP F:

SWEDEN :D

NORTHERN IRELAND

GROUP G:

ROMANIA

NETHERLANDS

I disagree . You got to remember that not every team has played an equal number of matches . Like in Group C , Turkey is thrid but they have a game in hand , they can overtake Norway if they win their spare game. Therefore , you can't predict who will qualify based on points .

Pillan, if you have followed Group F in any detail, you would have seen how well Northern Ireland have performed. You can't fluke being in the position they're in.

Hmm... NI-Iceland 0-3. Latvia-NI 1-0. NI-Latvia 1-0. I´m not impressed! NI have a hard match against Iceland in Reykavijk on Wednesday. It will be difficult for NI! They have Spain and Sweden in away matches and it will be difficult too! I hope for NI in Euro 2007 but I think it will be Spain and of course Sweden.

sverige.gif

zlatan_1175156586.jpg

I expect that England, Italy and Portugal will qualify. But I see serious problems for Spain, too. They still have to play their home matches against the two leading teams of their group, Sweden and Northern Ireland. Additionally, they have an away match against Denmark. Only Wednesday's match against Latvia should be an easier task. So the Spanish team will have to work very hard to qualify.

By the way: The Euro 2008 website lists Spain as third in group F -- although it has a better goal difference (+7) than Northern Ireland (+4) -- and even a higher number of scored goals. Does anyone understand why they aren't ranked second then?

See EURO 2008 - Group F

I expect that England, Italy and Portugal will qualify. But I see serious problems for Spain, too. They still have to play their home matches against the two leading teams of their group, Sweden and Northern Ireland. Additionally, they have an away match against Denmark. Only Wednesday's match against Latvia should be an easier task. So the Spanish team will have to work very hard to qualify.

By the way: The Euro 2008 website lists Spain as third in group F -- although it has a better goal difference (+7) than Northern Ireland (+4) -- and even a higher number of scored goals. Does anyone understand why they aren't ranked second then?

See EURO 2008 - Group F

I think it because that NI has won the match between them! The result between two teams goes before goal difference and scored goals!

sverige.gif

zlatan_1175156586.jpg

I've already found the answer to my own question: If two teams have reached the same number of points, the first criterion for determining the ranks is the number of points allocated in the match(es) between those two teams. That means that Northern Ireland is ranked second because it has won its first qualifier against Spain.

Equality of points after the group matches

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings.

a) Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question.

B) Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question.

c) Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question.

d) Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question.

e) If, after applying criteria a) to d) to several teams, two or more teams still have an equal ranking, the criteria a) to d) will be reapplied to determine the ranking of these teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) and g) will apply.

f) Results of all group matches: 1. Superior goal difference 2. Higher number of goals scored 3. Higher number of goals scored away from home 4. Fair play conduct.

g) Drawing of lots.

See here

@pillan:

I do understand your relief after the performances of the Swedish team. But isn't Sweden the team, that plays well in the qualification, but loses the spirit and form when it matters? Just remember the last World Cup.

I am still hoping for Finland, Poland and Ireland.

See EURO 2008 - Group F

Yes, Spain has serious problems but remember that NI has four very difficult matches remain. They has Iceland away in Reyjkawijk. NI lost against Iceland home! The result was 3-0 to Iceland. It will be a very difficult match for NI. Then they have Sweden away, Denmark home and Spain away. So now I think Spain will make it!

@pillan:

I do understand your relief after the performances of the Swedish team. But isn't Sweden the team, that plays well in the qualification, but loses the spirit and form when it matters? Just remember the last World Cup.

But we shouldn't forget that Poland played a very good qualification for the 2006 World Cup, too -- and then, at the World Cup itself, it failed dramatically.

@pillan:

Yes, agree with you a little bit! But Sweden is not a favorite in the big tournaments, like Spain.

The Poles... I don't want to see them in the Euro. I watched them in 2002 and 2006 WCs and they were a dissapointment. I would prefer to see Finland or even Serbia than Poland... and of course, Portugal.

Spain, as always, have problems. One of the best teams in the world but they can't prove it.

Spain is not one of the best team in the world, Spain is a bunch of best football player in the world, but they not a team... I have an advice for Spanish FA, because Spain U-17 just became the runner-up in the last world cup, how if Spanish FA sent Spain U-17 team at the next match qualification ? I hope Spain national team can learn from their younger brother, hot to act as a team, not just a bunch of player who can act as a team.... I wish Spain can go to the Swiss-Austria 2008 as a team...

Hmm... NI-Iceland 0-3. Latvia-NI 1-0. NI-Latvia 1-0. I´m not impressed! NI have a hard match against Iceland in Reykavijk on Wednesday. It will be difficult for NI! They have Spain and Sweden in away matches and it will be difficult too! I hope for NI in Euro 2007 but I think it will be Spain and of course Sweden.

Selective memory is a terrible thing. Remember them beating Spain and Sweden?

Selective memory is a terrible thing. Remember them beating Spain and Sweden?

Away matches are not the same as home matches! It will be difficult for NI in Spain and Sweden! It look like that NI is a team for big matches and they loose against the smaller teams! It´s little fake! They are not so good as they look to be! Denmark is a better team than NI!

sverige.gif

zlatan_1175156586.jpg