• Rio
    • Monterrey
    • Baku
    • New Delhi
    • Other (please explain)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Until we see how they deliver the PanAms this April (July?), that'll decide how Brazil fares in either a 2014 WC or a 2016 Olympic bid. I don't think they can handle both.

Well, at least if they get 2014, they'll have the Olympic football tournament sorted.

it is already a dead-race for 2016

chicago will get the games, no matter how good or bad the bid is

That is completely untrue - if Chicago enters this campaign with that attitude (which I actually don't think they are) they will be very disappointed in 2009.

I hesitated between Tokyo and Rio.... But as 2008 is in Asia, as 2014 as good chance to be also in Asia... for sure 2016 will not be (in this case) in Asia...

So RIO...............

it is already a dead-race for 2016

chicago will get the games, no matter how good or bad the bid is

Hmmm...methinks IOC history is littered with failed bids from cities that have taken THAT attitude!! :blink:

Chicago will be in with a very good chance for 2016 but if you seriously imagine that all they have to do is show up in Copenhagen come 2009,then you are either arrogant beyond belief or just extremely naive.Perhaps both! <_<

Get real!!!

That is completely untrue - if Chicago enters this campaign with that attitude (which I actually don't think they are) they will be very disappointed in 2009.

After the examples of 2012, from both the USOC and the Paris bid team, I really don't think the USOC is going to take things for granted. Inded, if anything, the whole USOC candidate process so far has shown they have more than learned their lesson.

And just noticed this:

WASHINGTON, April 15, 2007 (AFP) - US lawmakers moved quickly to show support for Chicago's 2016 Olympics bid, announcing plans here Sunday for legislation to ease visa hassles for Olympic athletes, officials and coaches.

One day after the US Olympic Committee Board of Directors approved the Illinois city over co-finalist Los Angeles as the US bid candidate for the 2016 Olympics, state lawmakers Dick Durbin and Rahm Emanuel made their move.

``Today we announce plans to introduce legislation to ensure that Olympic participants are not prevented from competing by bureaucratic delays,'' the US Democrats said in a statement.

``Chicago is the best place in the world for the 2016 Olympics and we are going to do our part to make sure that we are the best hosts in the world.''

The bill, if passed into law, would ensure Olympic-related visitors receive visas efficiently and in a timely manner to avoid potential headaches.

Such shows of federal government support enhance the hopes of bid candidate cities when the IOC begins comparing rival bids from around the world.

The central US city joins a race that already includes Tokyo, Madrid, Prague and Rio de Janeiro with more cities expected to join the hunt before the International Olympic Committee (IOC) bid deadline later this year.

The IOC will decide on a 2016 Summer Olympics host in October of 2009. Beijing will host next year's edition of the Games with London already set for 2012. Vancouver, Canada, will play host to the 2010 Winter Olympics.

It's also good to see the US Government is already moving to redress what was one of the criticisms of the 2012 bid.

• 2 weeks later...
I hate cocky attitude like that. I wouldn't discount any of the other bids.

No different than alot of the Toronto 2008 supporters on here back in 2001. Some of them were very arrogant, & down-right nasty. I know that you've mentioned before not to compare the 2, but really, when all you do is point out how the Chicago bid is "flawed" & how some people shouldn't "discount" any of the other bids, the parallels just have to be drawn. And most of these Chicago supporters are not nearly as bad & "cocky" as the Toronto supporters once were.

Archived