Bc Place Stadium Roof Collapses

mr.x

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) issued a news release today, saying: "BC Place has a highly experienced team of professionals and we have every confidence in the ability of their engineers to rectify the situation. It's a terrific facility that has a rich history of hosting some of BC's most memorable moments and we look forward to hosting our Ceremonies in BC Place for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games."

After this, they better keep on mind a plan b, i can't imagine that the roof falls during the opening ceremonies xDDD

Well, a 'simulated' roof collapse could now be 'scripted' into the Ceremony so while they are changing the tarp on the stadium floor, the 'roof' could collapse -- and that would take the audience attention away from the business on the floor...to the drama of the roof.

(Note to self: keep an eye out for fake 'roof collapse' -- especially since I plan to attend the 2010 Opening.) :rolleyes:

YES!!! I'm so happy!!! I'm sure there will be news conferences regarding this and plans from the BC Government for BC Place. This storm wasn't close to the last one: more like Vancouver weather. The Global News report of the snowstorm prior to the breaking roof of BC Place:

http://video.canada.com/Video.aspx?13233

(I checked it and it works becasue Canada.com has many scrips to stop people from giving direct links)

Hey, they've found a way to make the Olympic Flame visible for all people inside BC Place! :D

Seriously, I don't expect that to happen again, especially not during the opening or closing ceremonies -- that would be an enormous coincidence. So relax, everybody. They'll fix it and they'll certainly control the roof meticulously until the Games.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. Just a rip in a 20+ year old roof. Probably a good thing to prompt them to take a better look at the stadium and fix it up real good for the Olympics.

Hasnt the roof been replaced once in the 23 year history of BC Place ???? I think there was a deflation early in the buildings history and normal wear and tear on the roof would not have a wise compnay go much beyond 15 years I would think. If Mr. X is right the roof was scheduled to be fitted out because of the games then the problem is only temporary.

Certainly would not be wise to have the original roof in place for the 2010 games which would make the roof 27 years old.

It is certainly nowheres near a breaker for the 2010 games. They can insert the new panel probably in a couple of weeks and then look at the condition of the entire roof which I am sure they do with the ongoing operational of the stadium. It is a very very minor set back for the Pavco people themselves with a highly proven roof system that is in japan, indianapolis,minneapolis, pontiac michigan,syracuse new york and other places. Many of which have had events like this between long periods of good service.

jim jones

Hasnt the roof been replaced once in the 23 year history of BC Place ???? I think there was a deflation early in the buildings history and normal wear and tear on the roof would not have a wise compnay go much beyond 15 years I would think. If Mr. X is right the roof was scheduled to be fitted out because of the games then the problem is only temporary.

Certainly would not be wise to have the original roof in place for the 2010 games which would make the roof 27 years old.

It is certainly nowheres near a breaker for the 2010 games. They can insert the new panel probably in a couple of weeks and then look at the condition of the entire roof which I am sure they do with the ongoing operational of the stadium. It is a very very minor set back for the Pavco people themselves with a highly proven roof system that is in japan, indianapolis,minneapolis, pontiac michigan,syracuse new york and other places. Many of which have had events like this between long periods of good service.

jim jones

There has never ever in the stadium's 23 year history, been a tear nor was there ever an issue with the roof. The last time the roof was deflated was in 1982, when the roof was built deflated and then inflated.

And there's a 25 year manufacturer guarantee on the roof....which would mean it expires this year.

Not really a big deal. I think the Metrodome (built by the same company that built BC Place) in Minnesota has deflated a few times over the years and was fixed. However, that too was also to heavy snowfall if I recall correctly.

I will be really annoyed if the roof falls in on me at the Opening Ceremonies. :angry::blink:;)

Not really a big deal. I think the Metrodome (built by the same company that built BC Place) in Minnesota has deflated a few times over the years and was fixed. However, that too was also to heavy snowfall if I recall correctly.

I will be really annoyed if the roof falls in on me at the Opening Ceremonies. :angry::blink:;)

We hardly got any snow.....3 cms.....that was it for the stadium. But there was a windstorm as well, plus Vancouver has been pounded with hurricane force winds 18 times in the last 2 months AND there was one big snowstorm (30 cms) in November which was followed by a week of deep freeze temperatures AND we got two year's worth of rain from November to December.