Chicago's Revised 2016 Plan

LA84

THe point is, the people in CHicago feel it is enough for them afterwards. Who are we, or somebody else, to say otherwise?

Rest assured the USOC and the IOC will feel free to say otherwise! When it comes to deciding if Chicago can be the 2016 Olympic host city,it will be their feelings that will count,not the people of Chicago's!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rest assured the USOC and the IOC will feel free to say otherwise! When it comes to deciding if Chicago can be the 2016 Olympic host city,it will be their feelings that will count,not the people of Chicago's!!

No; the point is -- the IOC 'sort of' wants an 80,000-seat stadium for their Olympic Games.* Fine, CHicago is now offering a 95,000-seater during those 2 weeks. If you satisfy that; that's all that matters.

You forget, the IOC advised Sydney that 80-85,000 permanent was enough for 2000. Sydney went ahead and built 100,000 (I think counting those 2 risers on the north & south ends). Until they took them down, there were local complaints that they had built too large a structure; but no one could rightly point at it being an excessive IOC demand because the IOC had cautioned them to just build an 80,000-seater. If you meet that, that's all that matters. London is coming down to 25,000 after 2012, so why should 10,000 be a big deal for Chicago? It almost seems like a petty non-issue. There will be something left AFTER the Games. That's all that matters.

* Of course, if you have been reading previous posts, Montjuic only came up to under 73,000 -- but nobody slapped Barcelona for that since it was in you-know-who's city.

Give or take 1 million...Now, isn't Startford a separate city and technically, outside London's official city boundary? And isn't that where the new Olympic complex will be built?

Stratford is part of Greater London.It forms part of the London borough of Newham.

And yes,that is where the main Olympic stadium will be situated.

No; the point is -- the IOC 'sort of' wants an 80,000-seat stadium for their Olympic Games.* Fine, CHicago is now offering a 95,000-seater during those 2 weeks. If you satisfy that; that's all that matters.

I see what you mean.But the IOC would still want to be satisfied that some sort of sufficiently impressive permanent legacy will be left after the two-week razzmatazz is over.Don't forget that London 2012 won its bid mainly on the strength of the potential legacy!

Stratford is part of Greater London.It forms part of the London borough of Newham.

And yes,that is where the main Olympic stadium will be situated.

OK; thanks. My other point is that London/Greater London has a far greater population (and import) than Chicago/I don't know what the equivalent of the boundaries of a Greater Chicago would be - would be vis-a-vis the size of a pared-down stadium. Also, see my previous post for other point.

OK; thanks. My other point is that London/Greater London has a far greater population (and import) than Chicago/I don't know what the equivalent of the boundaries of a Greater Chicago would be - would be vis-a-vis the size of a pared-down stadium. Also, see my previous post for other point.

There are two definitions for Greater Chicago.

1.) "Chicagoland", the official greater Chicago area, covers from Kenosha WI to Joliet Ill (North to South), and Rockford Ill to Gary IN (West to East). That is a population of about 9 million people.

2.) The second Chicago metro area covers Milwaukee, WI to Michigan City, IN, with same West and South boundries. This total population area has 15 million people.

Milwaukee and it's suburbs are basically being absorbed into Chicago, and in a few years, you will see Milwaukee as bascially a suburb of Chicago, and no longer a city in it's own right. That is what government officials here are basically facing, should we be our own city, or become part of Chicago. And the consensus here is, Chicago. Metra's coming, M2, and maybe the Olympics.

I am relieved to see Chicago's revisions. Pending the location of the Olympic village, I think it's quite possible that Chicago is now the frontrunner with the USOC.

Like Baron, I think that the number of seats remaining is less important than the fact that SOME seats are remaining. 10,000 is enough for a legacy.

Aesthetics are important too. If the stadium has that classy, iconic feel it won't matter how much it is downsized. Renderings will be very important here. If it LOOKS collapsible -- that's a problem. If it looks awe-inspiring, no one will care about it being reduced.

I am relieved to see Chicago's revisions. Pending the location of the Olympic village, I think it's quite possible that Chicago is now the frontrunner with the USOC.

Like Baron, I think that the number of seats remaining is less important than the fact that SOME seats are remaining. 10,000 is enough for a legacy.

Aesthetics are important too. If the stadium has that classy, iconic feel it won't matter how much it is downsized. Renderings will be very important here. If it LOOKS collapsible -- that's a problem. If it looks awe-inspiring, no one will care about it being reduced.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Until we see the renderings of the proposed stadium we cannot judge if there is this legacy thingy or not.

During 2012 the argument floated about here that the downsized London Olympic Stadium will not be the legacy that the IOC wants, especially with the new Wembley. However they won out with the design and future usage of the collapsable stadium.

So you believe that after London downsizes their stadium to 25,000 after the games that there will be no legacy?

London's legacy will not be just the stadium but the revitalization of that area of the city as well as the athletic facilities leftover.

I think the concern around the legacy plan for London, and it's one that I share, is whether or not the stadium will be used often enough if it is left solely as an athletics venue. It's surely no coincidence that the City of Manchester Stadium became a football arena after 2002. While I don't want to see a similar scenario for either London or Chicago, both cities must be careful to provide a proper and lasting legacy. With the current plans as they are, I'm not sure they are doing.

I have a question for you Baron:

You seem very optimistic for Chicago's plans and everything, but still you have San Francisco 2016 in your sig. So, my doubt is... youre supporting SF and think Chicago's doing well, or you just support Sf and believe Chicago has the chance of winning the US bidding process?

Right now, IMO, I really think Chicago is doing a great job, and would love to see them in the shortlist, but still SF seems like a strong competitor...

The Tribune has picked a few details out for the Chicago Olympic Stadium, as well as more details about the Washington Park Plan.

1.) The architects for the Olympic Stadium will be done by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill of Chicago.

2.) The stadium will be oval shaped, with at least two tiers of seats. The first would consist of an ampitheater like bowl that would be hallowed 25 feet into the ground. At the bottom of the bowl would be the track. The other tiers of seats would be built above ground, and would disappear after the games.

3.) Skidmore propses keeping the wildlife setting intact, by taking a portion of the road that splits Washington Park into North and South, and burying it underground, making it into a tunnel.

Here's the whole article:

ANALYSIS

Washington Park plan looks like a gold medal winner for the city

By Blair Kamin

Tribune architecture critic

Published September 21, 2006

If Chicago actually lands the 2016 Olympics, the dramatic shift in the city's main stadium plan announced Wednesday is likely to go down as a turning point.

Under a clear blue sky, on a broad green meadow with the downtown skyline preening in the distant background, Mayor Richard Daley and his Olympic point man, insurance executive Patrick Ryan, implicitly admitted that their first stadium plan was a loser and introduced another one, which, if properly handled, may have the glint of gold.

The new plan, which moves the stadium from the downtown lakefront to Washington Park on the city's South Side, strikes the proper balance between doing what is right for the Olympics and doing what is right for Chicago--two imperatives that have quietly been in conflict since Chicago's plans began leaking onto the front pages this summer.

While the stadium's price tag remains uncertain and it is not known where the private funds to build it will come from, the plan's merits are clear:

With the Chicago Transit Authority's Green Line running along the western edge of Washington Park, the Metra Electric line shooting through Hyde Park, and major highways like Lake Shore Drive and the Dan Ryan Expressway offering additional access, this stadium would be far easier to reach by public transit than its lakefront counterpart.

This stadium promises economic and urban redevelopment opportunities for the neighborhoods around Washington Park that a lakefront stadium did not. It could do for poor areas on the South Side, already seeing some redevelopment, what the 1996 Democratic National Convention did for the West Side: Provide a long-term shot in the arm that would outlast the event itself.

The plan also means that the downtown lakefront will not have a massive sports facility crammed between Soldier Field and McCormick Place, which would have walled off Chicago from its shoreline. Instead, that meadow in Washington Park offers all the room that's needed to design a state-of-the-art sports venue, a factor that could help Chicago defeat San Francisco and Los Angeles in its bid to become the U.S. city that vies for the games.

To be sure, the city's overall Olympic plan, due Friday at the U.S. Olympic Committee, has yet to be released to the public. But the stadium concept, prepared by Chicago architects Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, takes a major step toward solving the chief conundrum for Chicago: How to build a massive stadium that will excel during the Olympics and not become a white elephant afterwards.

Skidmore's concept calls for the construction of an oval-shaped, 95,000-seat temporary stadium that would host both the opening and closing ceremonies as well as track and field events. The stadium would have at least two tiers of seats. The first would consist of an amphitheater-like bowl that would be hollowed about 25 feet into the ground. At the bottom of the bowl would be the track surface. Other tiers of seats would be built above ground, but would disappear after the games.

Left in place would be a 10,000-foot amphitheater that could be used for track and field and cultural events. The plan also promises to make a variety of improvements to Washington Park, which was designed in 1871 by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, the landscape architects whose masterwork is New York City's Central Park.

At the press conference announcing the stadium plan, some asked whether the new plan would undermine the compactness that has been a major selling point of Chicago's Olympic plans. But there's a difference between moving the stadium to some far-flung suburb like Naperville and moving it to Washington Park--a short drive from the expected site of the Olympic Village south of McCormick Place and west of Lake Shore Drive.

The plan also appears sensitive to the landscape of Washington Park, a serene combination of meadows, ponds and lagoons with islands within them. Skidmore proposes, for example, to take a portion of a road that now splits the northern and southern halves of the park and bury it in a tunnel. This would allow pedestrians to cross easily from one side of the park to the other, separating car and pedestrian traffic in a way that wisely learns from Central Park.

True, having the stadium several miles from downtown will make for slightly less dramatic pictures of the skyline. But, as Wednesday's press conference made plain, the downtown skyline is clearly, if somewhat distantly, visible from Washington Park. Besides, blimps and TV cameras at close-in Olympic venues will still deliver the jaw-dropping panoramic shots broadcasters crave.

As good as it is, though, the stadium concept can't be viewed in isolation. Its merits (or failings) will only be fully apparent after the city's leaders make public Chicago's overall Olympic plan. So stay tuned: Chicago's Olympic urban planning marathon isn't over. It's just begun.

----------

bkamin@tribune.com

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

I have a question for you Baron:

You seem very optimistic for Chicago's plans and everything, but still you have San Francisco 2016 in your sig. So, my doubt is... youre supporting SF and think Chicago's doing well, or you just support Sf and believe Chicago has the chance of winning the US bidding process?

Right now, IMO, I really think Chicago is doing a great job, and would love to see them in the shortlist, but still SF seems like a strong competitor...

Until I know the rest of the SF plan, and from what we now know about Chicago's, I'd say Chicago is in the frontrunner's seat. Further,

(i) Chicago came out ahead in USOC's int'l poll; so that there is like 65% of Chicago's chances (for being named the US candidate);

(ii) Chicago, from what LA84 tells us, is not too subject to all these looney, unpredictable leftist intiatives that bedevil poltiics in the West Coast, especially left-leaning SF;

(iii) Chicago's plan is probably more compact than SF's;

(iv) Chicago can easily raise the money to pursue the bid thru its int'l phase (confirmed in today's GB lead article).

(v) I think the USOC might want to place an Olympic Games in the Central time zone having had the 3 last Olympics on US soil in the Eastern (Atlanta), Mountain (Salt Lake) and Pacific (LA) time zones. Small factor, but definitely a kicker in the USOC's elimination process.

So, yes, Chicago definitely has the edge now. Like LA84 (please change the name!!), I'd be a little happier if the Bay Area won; but my head tells me today, Chicago is ahead. [Re the logo, I just haven't had time to update things. My sig is a minor detail that's of no importance.]

Well, the plan is off to the USOC and will be released to the public tomorrow. I can't wait! B)

Part of the plan was released tonight by Pat Ryan, while the rest will be released tommorow morning.

Chicago 2016 will be concentrated in four neighborhoods:

1.) Lincoln Park

2.) Burnham Park

3.) Washington Park

4.) University Village

Olympic Stadium in Washington Park is valued at $300 million dollars.

Whitewater slalom will be held in the lagoons at Lincoln Park

A five pool aquatic center will be built at the University of Illinois Chicago

Cycling will be held at Northerly Island, while rowing will be held at a new harbor south of McCormick Place.

Like I said, much more will be released tommorow morning, but I guess Ryan just wanted to keep the press happy.

Article:

City outlines preliminary sites for Olympic events

September 22, 2006

BY SUN-TIMES STAFF REPORTS

The Summer Olympic Games would return to a compact “city center” in 2016 with athletic venues concentrated in four neighborhoods - Lincoln Park, Burnham Park, Washington Park and University Village - under Chicago’s revised Olympic bid unveiled Friday.

“We’re not going to hold ordinary Games,” said Mayor Daley’s longtime friend Pat Ryan, the insurance magnate who chairs Chicago’s Olympic Committee.

“We won’t win the bid unless we can demonstrate to the U.S. Olympic Committee that we will have spectacular games and that 60 or more International Olympic Committee members will see that — and will vote for it.”

“It’s a great proposal...we think we’re in a great position if it comes back to America,’’ Daley said of Chicago’s competition with San Francisco and Los Angeles.

In addition to a collapsible stadium in Washington Park that carries a $300 million pricetag, Daley’s Olympic dream envisions a whitewater slalom course in Lincoln Park, a five-pool aquatic center at the University of Illinois at Chicago, cycling on Northerly Island and rowing in a new harbor south of McCormick Place.

I think the Chicago proposal is coming together nicely, I'm excited to see the full list of locations.

I think the first mis-step of the Soldier Field stadium idea has turned into a good thing. The city is hsowing that if an idea isn't well received their revisit it and come back with a better idea. It shows that Chicago is willing to work with the USOC and IOC.

I don't think the main stadium size is any issue at all - why is a stadium the only way a legacy can be left after the Olympics are over? I think a more lasting legacy should be facilities and parks spread around the city, hell, get the new developer who took over the Calatrava tower project to name it "Olympic Tower" if Chicago gets the Olympics. If it stays on track it should be early in construction when the IOC makes it's decision and be completed in time for the Olympics. There are a million ways to leave a legacy.

Here we go. Sorry this is so long. You'all need to to subscribe to the Tribune's free website so we don't have to post full articles!

Olympic stadium cost $100 million higher

By Kathy Bergen, Philip Hersh and Blair Kamin, Tribune staff reporters. Tribune staff reporter Gary Washburn contributed to this story

Published September 23, 2006

The cost of Chicago's proposed Olympic stadium has risen by 50 percent, and planners have moved several sports venues in the second version of the city's bid for the 2016 Olympics.

The changes would put a whitewater paddling course in Lincoln Park and a five-pool aquatics center at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

The stadium, a temporary, 95,000-seat structure to be built in Washington Park on the city's South Side, would now cost $300 million, up from the $200 million lakefront facility in the original plan.

Insurance executive Patrick Ryan, Mayor Richard Daley's point man for the Olympic bid, revealed the details at a press briefing Friday, marking the first time the city's Olympic planners have gone public with their complete vision for the games.

Ryan said the addition of 200 skyboxes and 15,000 more seats than previously proposed would help offset the added cost of the stadium, which would be converted to a 10,000-seat below-ground arena for track-and-field and cultural events after the Olympics.

"It's slightly higher than our preliminary plan," he said, "but it's a solution with a state-of-the-art field of play which is an enticement to help us win" the bid.

While Chicago Olympic planners insist no public funds will be used to build and host the games, financing details remain scant. They still must provide the U.S. Olympic Committee with financial guarantees for the stadium and the Olympic Village, which could cost a combined $1.3 billion or more.

The city's Olympic planners sent their revised plan to the USOC on Friday, meeting a deadline that the committee set as it ponders which, if any, of three cities--Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles--would become the U.S. bidder for the 2016 Summer Games.

One indication of Chicago's challenge is that Los Angeles, which has hosted two Summer Games, has nearly all its major venues in place and projects total venue construction costs of just $150 million--half the price of Chicago's stadium alone.

Among other highlights of the revised plan were a first glimpse at design concepts for a privately developed Olympic Village, to be built south of McCormick Place and west of Lake Shore Drive, for an estimated $1 billion. Renderings prepared by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, coordinating architects of Chicago's bid, showed interlaced, curving buildings reminiscent of Bertrand Goldberg's River City.

The linchpin of Chicago's bid remains its compactness, with nearly all venues concentrated along the city's lakefront and near its downtown. That would contrast with recent games, such as Sydney 2000, which have staged major events in a park outside the city center.

"We're excited to see the games return to a city center," said Doug Arnot, an Olympic planning veteran advising the Chicago bid. "This would be an Olympic Games in the city rather than in an Olympic park."

One-third of the athletes would be within a five-minute drive of their competition venues, Ryan said, while 85 percent would be within 15 minutes. In contrast, an Olympics in either Los Angeles or San Francisco is expected to sprawl over a far wider area.

But Chicago's emphasis on compactness includes a costly change from its original plan, which would have used an existing whitewater canoe/kayak venue in South Bend, Ind., 90 miles from downtown. Instead, a new venue is proposed for the Lincoln Park lagoon east of the park's zoo. For the 2012 London Olympics, the facility is expected to cost at least $26 million.

Arnot indicated the change had been made at the suggestion of the USOC, which preferred whitewater events closer to the main Olympic sites. He said the plan would be feasible only if there were a way to make the facility pay for itself after the competition.

In another major shift, the aquatics center, originally to be located near the Illinois Institute of Technology campus at 31st Street, would be moved to UIC. University officials still haven't signed off on the plan, Olympic planners acknowledged.

The aquatics center would include five pools, none completely enclosed--either one permanent and four temporary pools or all temporary pools. The prospect that no permanent pools would remain after the games appears to undercut the goal of leaving a sports legacy. However, Arnot said, the pools could be dismantled and moved to other neighborhoods.

The Olympics are expected to pour $6.5 billion into the local economy and to attract 5 million to 6 million visitors, Olympic planners said. With already-planned upgrades, Chicago's problem-plagued transit system could accommodate all the visitors, they insisted.

Daley mentioned the need for the Chicago Transit Authority's proposed Circle Line, which would connect existing CTA and Metra lines.

The USOC's decision on whether to put forward a U.S. candidate is expected by year's end. Selection of a bid city would be made by early April. The International Olympic Committee will pick the 2016 host in 2009.

While stressing that even this second version of their bid remains preliminary, the Olympic planners offered fresh information about several key aspects of their plan:

- The 37-acre Olympic Village would house 16,000 athletes in 2,000 units to be constructed on a platform above the truck delivery areas for McCormick Place, to be the site of competitions in 11 sports. After the Games, the multistory complex would be converted to 3,000 units of market-rate and affordable housing.

"We believe developers will be competing for the chance to invest," Ryan said.

- Lincoln Park would host sailing events, with temporary improvements made to Montrose Harbor, and tennis, which would be held near the Waveland Field House on new courts.

- Soldier Field would host soccer, both preliminary and final events. The stadium's field-level corners would be peeled back to make room for a standard international soccer field.

- Rowing would be held in a new harbor that the Chicago Park District plans to construct south of McCormick Place. But the planners admitted that such a venue would be "a significant engineering challenge" because of winds and currents.

Ryan said that the Chicago Park District would have to sign off on the use of many park properties involved in the Olympic plan, including the proposed Washington Park stadium.

B)B)B)

The Tribune article also has the full venue list:

1 OLYMPIC STADIUM

- Opening and closing ceremonies

- Athletics (marathon, race walk, track/field)

2 OLYMPIC VILLAGE

3 WASHINGTON PARK HOCKEY FIELDS

4 HARBOR COURSE ROWING BASIN

- Canoe/kayak (flatwater)

- Rowing

5 McCORMICK PLACE WEST

- Gymnastics (rhythmic)

- Taekwondo

- Fencing

- Table Tennis

- Badminton

- Modern pentathlon (shooting)

6 McCORMICK PLACE SOUTH

-Written press and broadcast facilities

7 McCORMICK PLACE NORTH

- Handball

- Judo

- Wrestling

8 McCORMICK PLACE LAKESIDE

- Indoor volleyball

- Weightlifting

9 NORTHERLY ISLAND VELODROME

- Cycling (Track and BMX)

10 SOLDIER FIELD

- Soccer

11 HUTCHINSON FIELD

- Archery

- Triathlon

12 OLYMPIC AQUATIC CENTER

- Aquatics (swimming, synchronized swimming, waterpolo, diving)

- Modern pentathlon (swimming)

13 UIC PAVILION

- Boxing

14 UNITED CENTER

- Basketball

- Gymnastics (artistic/trampoline)

15 NORTH AVENUE BEACH

- Beach volleyball

16 LINCOLN PARK WATERWAY

- Canoe/kayak (slalom)

17 WAVELAND TENNIS FACILITY

- Tennis

18 MONTROSE HARBOR

- Sailing

CHICAGO-AREA VENUES

(Not shown on map)

Chicago State University

(South Side)

- Basketball preliminaries

Allstate Arena (Rosemont)

Palos Park

- Road cycling

(Also to be held in city)

Palos Forest Preserve

- Mountain biking

- Equestrian events

Illinois State Police firing range (Joliet)

- Shooting events

Midwest locations (TBA)

- Soccer preliminaries

The print version of the paper has a map that is not on the website yet.

I think a huge point, from a transportation perspective, is that Daley acknowledged the Circle Line - that will help things out tremendously. :)

I'm not too worried about the CTA. It is problem plagued now because they are currently rebuilding the Brown Line. Once that is done and the Central Circulator is built, which pretty much by opening up the Paulina Connecter again for the Pink Line looks like they are planning to anyway, that prob should be taken care of.

The other nice thing about this plan is that it opens up the opportunity of expanding water taxi service north and south of The Loop.

The only problem I see is putting rowing in the lake south of McCormick place North. It would be a great spot but a HUGE engineering problem to address the winds and lake currents.

The Tribune article also has the full venue list:

1 OLYMPIC STADIUM

- Opening and closing ceremonies

- Athletics (marathon, race walk, track/field)

2 OLYMPIC VILLAGE

3 WASHINGTON PARK HOCKEY FIELDS

4 HARBOR COURSE ROWING BASIN

- Canoe/kayak (flatwater)

- Rowing

5 McCORMICK PLACE WEST

- Gymnastics (rhythmic)

- Taekwondo

- Fencing

- Table Tennis

- Badminton

- Modern pentathlon (shooting)

6 McCORMICK PLACE SOUTH

-Written press and broadcast facilities

7 McCORMICK PLACE NORTH

- Handball

- Judo

- Wrestling

8 McCORMICK PLACE LAKESIDE

- Indoor volleyball

- Weightlifting

9 NORTHERLY ISLAND VELODROME

- Cycling (Track and BMX)

10 SOLDIER FIELD

- Soccer

11 HUTCHINSON FIELD

- Archery

- Triathlon

12 OLYMPIC AQUATIC CENTER

- Aquatics (swimming, synchronized swimming, waterpolo, diving)

- Modern pentathlon (swimming)

13 UIC PAVILION

- Boxing

14 UNITED CENTER

- Basketball

- Gymnastics (artistic/trampoline)

15 NORTH AVENUE BEACH

- Beach volleyball

16 LINCOLN PARK WATERWAY

- Canoe/kayak (slalom)

17 WAVELAND TENNIS FACILITY

- Tennis

18 MONTROSE HARBOR

- Sailing

CHICAGO-AREA VENUES

(Not shown on map)

Chicago State University

(South Side)

Allstate Arena (Rosemont)

Palos Park

- Road cycling

(Also to be held in city)

Palos Forest Preserve

- Mountain biking

- Equestrian events

Illinois State Police firing range (Joliet)

- Shooting events

Midwest locations (TBA)

- Soccer preliminaries

The print version of the paper has a map that is not on the website yet.

I think a huge point, from a transportation perspective, is that Daley acknowledged the Circle Line - that will help things out tremendously. :)

I'd like the midwest locations to include Toyota Park, Ryan Field, and Champaign Memorial Stadium. Also, I'm surprised that Chicago will build a 2-tiered 95000 seat stadium @ Washington Park to be reduced to a 10000 seat stadium.

Archived