Would Isreal be allowed to join?

??? Here's a curly one (to quote Mark Todd).

The crietria for joining the Commonwealth Federation is based losely on being a former British protectorate or colony.

So in theory is Isreal allowed to join?

(Palestine would fit the criteria...

In fact, so would Iraq...)

What would be the Commonwealth response, especially from Africa?

??? Here's a curly one (to quote Mark Todd).

The crietria for joining the Commonwealth Federation is based losely on being a former British protectorate or colony.

So in theory is Isreal allowed to join?

(Palestine would fit the criteria...

In fact, so would Iraq...)

What would be the Commonwealth response, especially from Africa?

very curly! That could be very interesting!

I can answer this one.

Israel was actually invited to attend the Brisbane 1982 Commonwealth Games after they were again denied entry in the Asiad Games.  A number of officials attended as did a few observers - however at the time it was decided not to join in - as there would be a fall out from muslim countries in Africa and Asia.  The invite, as far as I know - is still valid.

I can answer this one.

Israel was actually invited to attend the Brisbane 1982 Commonwealth Games after they were again denied entry in the Asiad Games.  A number of officials attended as did a few observers - however at the time it was decided not to join in - as there would be a fall out from muslim countries in Africa and Asia.  The invite, as far as I know - is still valid.

:oh: Whoops...I mean Israel!!! Sorry guys.

TNMP, you've jogged my memory.  Even though I was young at the time I can remember my Auntie talking about the CWG invite, in 1982. She is Israeli and my uncle had just moved his family to Perth from Tel Aviv, 1982 was not a good year for Israel!!!  I do vaguely remember the threat of boycott from some African nations at the notion of Israel attending.

Times may still be tough, but if the peace process can get up and keep going, with self governing Palestine able to attend as well, there is no reason why 2014 be a target date for attendance if the invite still stands.

Just so ya'll know: current applications for membership are held by:

Palestine

Yemen

Cambodia

Rwanda

Possible Membership

Somaliland

Southern Sudan (both upon independence)

Egypt

Iraq

Oman

Bahrain

Kuwait

Jordan

Myanmar

the USA

Zimbabwe

Israel

Also the only Muslim nations in the commonwealth are Nigeria, Pakistan, Bangledesh and Malaysia. If i am not mistake all of them have accepted Israel's existence, i know for a fact that Pakistan has. Also India has a large Muslim population. I don't see this has a potencial block to their membership if they so choose.

Perhaps not, but it could make for some awkward diplomacy.

:) Not a problem if Palestine is allowed to attend as well...There's the balance to satisfy both Secular and Muslim worlds.

Counties these days must satisfy the CF that they are more of sound humanitarian mind than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
Man, I can only imagine what the impression would be if both Israel and Palestine accepts and joins in the Commonwealth Games at the same time.

Man, I can only imagine what the impression would be if both Israel and Palestine accepts and joins in the Commonwealth Games at the same time.

:) I'd say it would be one of "let's watch this space!". Although they probibly wouldn't want to live next together in the Village, considering they can't in real life. :;):

It could no longer be "the Friendly Games"  :P

Don't forget Ireland are also eligible. Not that they would neccessarily want to.

In theory,it would be possible of course for Israel and Palestine to join.

In practice,it would be a security nightmare! Can you imagine what special protection measures would have to be put into operation at every CWG while the current tension between Israel and the Palestinians exists? I think their entry would have to be declined on these grounds alone until a proper peace settlement comes into effect between them!

Incidentally,Ireland left the Commonwealth in 1949.I doubt they would consider re-joining as anything that smacks of reviving the old British ties in any way is a highly sensitive matter for a nation that has been trying to shake off the memory of its former colonisation by Britain ever since!

In practice,it would be a security nightmare! Can you imagine what special protection measures would have to be put into operation at every CWG while the current tension between Israel and the Palestinians exists? I think their entry would have to be declined on these grounds alone until a proper peace settlement comes into effect between them!

Incidentally,Ireland left the Commonwealth in 1949.I doubt they would consider re-joining as anything that smacks of reviving the old British ties in any way is a highly sensitive matter for a nation that has been trying to shake off the memory of its former colonisation by Britain ever since!

Israel and Palestine compeat at the Olympics together, there is no difference with the CWG. Mind you Israel will not want to be a member, and Palestine is currently in the application process.

Israel and Palestine compeat at the Olympics together, there is no difference with the CWG. Mind you Israel will not want to be a member, and Palestine is currently in the application process.

I didn't know Palestine has competed as a separate nation at the Olympic Games!

Still,it must be an ongoing security nightmare particularly as relations between Israelis and Palestinians are always a case of one step forward,two steps backward!!

I didn't know Palestine has competed as a separate nation at the Olympic Games!

Still,it must be an ongoing security nightmare particularly as relations between Israelis and Palestinians are always a case of one step forward,two steps backward!!

Atlanta 1996 was the first time Palestine competed in an Olympic Games.

Archived