Argentina Considers Olympic Games Bid

GBModerator

Brazil would hardly have a story for a second summer olympics before any other south american metropolis can have its chance.

In a bid with two South American cities (one from Brazil), Brazil will always claim we already have experience on hosting... Not to mention other factors...

_______

Still, I think Buenos Aires might be the second SOG host from South America (if they do their homework about economy in the next decades).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it'll be as Danny said, that we won't see another SA Games in our lifetime. But for sure I don't think it will before... let's say 2040 at least. So I don't think there is any point in discussing now who out of Peru, Chile, Argentina or Brazil 2.0 will host in the future since we have no idea how all these countries will develop by then.

I know there was a 44 year gap between Melbourne and Sidney in regards to "southern hemisphere hosting", but I think the world has changed and will change even more... nowadays there are more countries able to host the games, and I think there'll be more in the future.

So, in 60 years can be our time again... *rolleyes*

About being the biggest cities of the World, this have nothing to do with bidding to OGs right New York?

Each bid race have its own dynamics.

Maybe the next South American host can be Caracas or La Paz. Who knows how the world will be in 30, 40 years?

If you asked any Olympic expert 30 years ago if Brazil could host the Olympic Games someday, the answer would be: NEVER or probably Argentina would host before Brazil.

This is just empty futurology.

And be sure IOC members will visit all the new frontiers left before coming back to exotic and festive South America.

That's it!

I'm just saying, there is a pattern. London, last hosted in 1948 before 2012 = 64 Years. Tokyo, last hosted in 1964 before 2020 = 56 Years. I want the Olympics to be hosted on every Continent, which is why I want Durban to host it in 2028.

I still believe that the 2nd Summer Olympics in South America will be in Santiago. Santiago will probably host a future Pan American Games, so that could be a start. No Lima, I'm talking about Santiago. Just because Lima will host the 2019 Pan American Games, doesn't mean they will host a Summer Olympics. Santiago might be able to use the Pan American Games as a start for a Summer Olympics bid. Who knows.

I still believe that the 2nd Summer Olympics in South America will be in Santiago. Santiago will probably host a future Pan American Games, so that could be a start. No Lima, I'm talking about Santiago. Just because Lima will host the 2019 Pan American Games, doesn't mean they will host a Summer Olympics. Santiago might be able to use the Pan American Games as a start for a Summer Olympics bid. Who knows.

That's not very coherent, my little friend. If you're following the news, Lima was awarded to host the 2019 Pan American Games and guess which city they beat: Santiago! So, if Santiago could use the PanAms as a springboard to the Olympics (this trick worked only once, BTW), by your logic this should apply to the Peruvian city as well.

I'm just saying, there is a pattern. London, last hosted in 1948 before 2012 = 64 Years. Tokyo, last hosted in 1964 before 2020 = 56 Years. I want the Olympics to be hosted on every Continent, which is why I want Durban to host it in 2028.

You contradict yourself in few lines....

Anyway, It makes no sense at all...

2040 is 25 years away, us mid-twenties/early thirties people won't have any problem I think B)

Calling my personal seer... :P

That's not very coherent, my little friend. If you're following the news, Lima was awarded to host the 2019 Pan American Games and guess which city they beat: Santiago! So, if Santiago could use the PanAms as a springboard to the Olympics (this trick worked only once, BTW), by your logic this should apply to the Peruvian city as well.

Not really. Dominican Republic hosted the Pan American Games. I don't believe Dominican Republic will host a Summer Olympics, just like I don't believe Peru will.

So, in 60 years can be our time again... *rolleyes*

About being the biggest cities of the World, this have nothing to do with bidding to OGs right New York?

Each bid race have its own dynamics.

Maybe the next South American host can be Caracas or La Paz. Who knows how the world will be in 30, 40 years?

If you asked any Olympic expert 30 years ago if Brazil could host the Olympic Games someday, the answer would be: NEVER or probably Argentina would host before Brazil.

This is just empty futurology.

And be sure IOC members will visit all the new frontiers left before coming back to exotic and festive South America.

That's it!

Australia got their 2nd Olympics only 44 years after the first. I'm betting those in 1956 Melbourne thought they'd be waiting a lot longer than that for the Olympics to return.

Most people would be lucky to have the Olympics in their country once in their lifetime. You're about to have that. Who cares when the next Olympics might come back to South America, whether any of us here are around for it or not. Like anyone here can predict the future (although some certainly like to think they can)

That's not really a pattern though. That sounds pretty random. Most of these Olympic bids are that.. a construct of the dynamics of that particular race. And they always change from cycle to cycle. Rarely are they predictable more than a few years out.

Not really. Dominican Republic hosted the Pan American Games. I don't believe Dominican Republic will host a Summer Olympics, just like I don't believe Peru will.

The Lima metro has about as many inhabitants as the whole Dominican Republic. Peru is much larger. Santo Domingo, as much as I like it (been there twice) is certainly not suitable for the big prize, while in the very long run, Lima might. But let's face it: Buenos Aires probably has first refusal rights for the next SA Summer Games, whenever that might be.

The Lima metro has about as many inhabitants as the whole Dominican Republic. Peru is much larger. Santo Domingo, as much as I like it (been there twice) is certainly not suitable for the big prize, while in the very long run, Lima might. But let's face it: Buenos Aires probably has first refusal rights for the next SA Summer Games, whenever that might be.

That may be true, but think about their history. They bid for 1956 and lost by 1 vote. Tried again in 1968, didn't come close. Their next attempt comes 34 years later. They make the shortlist, but by that point, Brazil is in the mix and eventually they win the prize. If they're active and bidding when the time comes, then they've certainly got a case. But if someone jumps in there ahead of them, it's not like another South American city would necessarily be passed over to hold out for Buenos Aires.

That may be true, but think about their history. They bid for 1956 and lost by 1 vote. Tried again in 1968, didn't come close. Their next attempt comes 34 years later. They make the shortlist, but by that point, Brazil is in the mix and eventually they win the prize. If they're active and bidding when the time comes, then they've certainly got a case. But if someone jumps in there ahead of them, it's not like another South American city would necessarily be passed over to hold out for Buenos Aires.

Of course, BA must bid to win.If they don't bid for a while and Lima/Santiago/Caracas/Cali??? comes with the stars aligning in their favour in a particular bid race, the IOC will not wait for BA. But I think it would beat any other SA bid it had to face.

Every single race have its own dynamics... A race with other South American that is not Buenos Aires at the right time can bring us surprises...

The fact is: Not only Argentina's capital is the one up to host next Olympic Games in South America. Bids chances are realistic (depending of the bid race) for cities like Santiago, Bogotá, Lima (Peru is at fast pace economic growth) and/or some big state capital in Brazil...

Rio opened the door (or at least, bring hope) to dozens of big cities in the developing world to host...
In 2009, many here wouldn't never consider Lima, Santiago or even Rio (remember all the **** said at that time) to host Olympic Games anytime in the future... Things changed and in few decades things in South America must be pretty much better. Who knows the amount of cities able to host the games in SA by 2030s or 2040s.

It a very open scenario to Tony come here and claim just Buenos Aires is likely to host the next South American games. Tony have no idea about what is South America now-a-days actually, pretty much less about the future.

Probably he is still scared about the possibility of huge snakes eating British tourists in this corner of the globe...

I thought Tony favored Santiago? Don't know his reasoning though. As if I cared about his opinions or thought he had any idea about the reality. I do agree that it's pointless making predictions long into the future when we don't even know who will finally bid for 2024. The only thing I am willing to say is that due to the continental rotation there won't probably be another South American hosting before the 30s.

Every single race have its own dynamics... A race with other South American that is not Buenos Aires at the right time can bring us surprises...

The fact is: Not only Argentina's capital is the one up to host next Olympic Games in South America. Bids chances are realistic (depending of the bid race) for cities like Santiago, Bogotá, Lima (Peru is at fast pace economic growth) and/or some big state capital in Brazil...

Rio opened the door (or at least, bring hope) to dozens of big cities in the developing world to host...

In 2009, many here wouldn't never consider Lima, Santiago or even Rio (remember all the **** said at that time) to host Olympic Games anytime in the future... Things changed and in few decades things in South America must be pretty much better. Who knows the amount of cities able to host the games in SA by 2030s or 2040s.

It a very open scenario to Tony come here and claim just Buenos Aires is likely to host the next South American games. Tony have no idea about what is South America now-a-days actually, pretty much less about the future.

Probably he is still scared about the possibility of huge snakes eating British tourists in this corner of the globe...

Why do You even have to bring that up? I think Santiago will host the next Summer Olympics in South America, but no chance before 2040.

I thought Tony favored Santiago? Don't know his reasoning though. As if I cared about his opinions or thought he had any idea about the reality. I do agree that it's pointless making predictions long into the future when we don't even know who will finally bid for 2024. The only thing I am willing to say is that due to the continental rotation there won't probably be another South American hosting before the 30s.

Well that is rude. This is for sharing and Respecting opinions.

Well that is rude. This is for sharing and Respecting opinions.

I admit I was harsh in choosing my words but the point remains that unless you show some deeper knowledge of the issue and express reasons as to why you think Santiago would be the next SA host, then your predictions of things that would take place several decades from now and involving many intertwining scenarios has about the same weight as claims that the sun will shine next May 15th.

then your predictions of things that would take place several decades from now and involving many intertwining scenarios has about the same weight as claims that the sun will shine next May 15th.

He probably already knows if the sun will shine or not in May 15th.

At least in "My England"

Why do You even have to bring that up? I think Santiago will host the next Summer Olympics in South America, but no chance before 2040.

Tony, again, your are (poorly) making your prediction based in the actual scenario.

Unless you can time travel, there is no ways to know which city will be the next South American host... And don't forget IOC will allow joint bids from near cities from neighbour countries which makes a Buenos Aires-Montevideo bid a fair proposal.

They way you claim your predictions is really arrogant, lacks of good arguments and bring all the feedback you always complain about.

From a South American who already visited other South American countries, you can't claim any city will host the games in the future, simply, because our countries are fast-pace developing and we have no idea how they will be in 30-40 years (for the good or the evil)

He probably already knows if the sun will shine or not in May 15th.

At least in "My England"

Again, You keep bringing things up that happened here last year to try and back up your argument? It's just silly.

Again, You keep bringing things up that happened here last year to try and back up your argument? It's just silly.

No, I made 3 consistent posts towards you already and you, conveniently, just ignored...

No, I made 3 consistent posts towards you already and you, conveniently, just ignored...

Ok, let's just leave it as that. Due to Geopolitics, we can't see South America hosting again anytime soon, so the argument is irrelevant for now.

Ok, let's just leave it as that. Due to Geopolitics, we can't see South America hosting again anytime soon, so the argument is irrelevant for now.

Due to "Geopolitics"???

iuJhL7WKAxtLy.jpg

PQP, que anta!

Danny, many have acknowledged that South America won't be hosting again after Rio 2016 until 2040 at the earliest. Geopolitics plays a big role in choosing Olympic Host Cities. Before South America hosts for a second time, Europe will host a few times, North America will host a few times, Africa will host and Asia might host another 1 or 2. Oceania could even get another Olympics aswell.

Archived