Tulsa 2024 Needs 30,000 More Hotel Rooms For Olympic Bid

GBModerator

Don't forget the Olympic! Sister ship of the Titanic! :P

We had a full harbour of cruise ships in Sydney in 2000. Most though, I believe, were more for use by sponsors and NOCs for hospitality packages (eg, the NBC ship, the German NOC's Deutchland etc) rather than have to make up extra rooms.

London was similar - and even many of the exact same ships like the Deutchland.

Yes. But I do have a point in the fact that cruise ships should only be used as additional rooms, rather than being the driving force of an accommodation plan simply because you lack the rooms and aren't willing to undertake a huge hotel building program and/or apartment construction.

I'm sure even Atlanta 1996, the bid Tulsa has based theirs on had sufficient hotel rooms before even proposing any hotel/apartment construction plan.

Even Melbourne 1996 had a sound accommodation plan.

31,700 star based hotel rooms

2,000 cruise ships (possibly as additional accommodation)

4,400 rooms in colleges/universities

7,500 Olympic Village

3,300 Media Village

23,700 Australian Homes Programme (Public rental housing and other forms of investment properties)

5,000 Host Programme

10,080 Caravan Parks/Youth Hostels

Even without the Caravan Parks/Youth Hostels and Olympic Village it's at 70,100. Even without the Australian Homes Programme that makes it 46,400.

I highly doubt Tulsa can offer something like that, even if public rental housing/serviced apartments etc is at around 10,000+, that still won't support the 10,000=20,000 hotel rooms Tulsa probably has.

Oh yea of little faith. Don't you know the largest port in all of Oklahoma is in Tulsa?

Ok so Tulsa has a large port. Which is connected by a not so wide river. Which has low bridges scattered all over. Can ships any larger than barges fit on such a port? I think not. Do people want to be accommodated on "cruise ships" located near refineries and such? Definitely not. Not to mention located on the outskirts of town.

Even if we were to propose an accommodation plan (which is absurd I know), then you'd go with the following:

The existing 15,000 rooms

5,000 existing serviced apartment rooms

An ambitious 5,000-10,000 room hotel plan

10,000 new serviced apartment rooms

1,000-5,000 college rooms

10,000 camping sites/hostels

If all else fails, you could propose to house much of the support staff etc in actual Tulsan homes.

Nope unmanageable and unlikely.

Are Tulsans and Oklahomans for that matter, open to the idea of a relocation of the Tulsa State Fair (I know that no bid of any sort would work or win anyways, but would they be open to the idea)?

Much like Sydney did with it's Royal Agricultural Showgrounds, moved near the Sydney Olympic Park.

The existing site has some decent facilities, but it appears they lack in necessary height requirements to be outfitted for indoor sporting halls.

A new site similar to Sydney's proposal could be the solution, and would be part of a large Olympic Park, say located West of the city.

The existing state fair would be sold off as use for whatever, whether it be exhibition space or whatever else.

Don't forget the Olympic! Sister ship of the Titanic! :P

Right, right. Touche!! Completely forgot about that one -- and how appropos. Altho of course, the Olympic was just scrapped...whereas it was the 3rd sister, the Britannic, which sank in the Aegean. How ironic if it was the Olympic which sank in Greek waters...just off Olympia.

Here's a cool rendering of the Olympic in absolutely wild, camouflage colors...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/Arthur_Lismer_-_Olympic_with_Returned_Soldiers.jpg/791px-Arthur_Lismer_-_Olympic_with_Returned_Soldiers.jpg

Ok so Tulsa has a large port. Which is connected by a not so wide river. Which has low bridges scattered all over. Can ships any larger than barges fit on such a port? I think not. Do people want to be accommodated on "cruise ships" located near refineries and such? Definitely not. Not to mention located on the outskirts of town.

Finally, a totally sensible post coming from you! :lol::P .

Three words that sum up everything that's been posted about this bid :lol:

Lol :lol: Maybe they wont bid at the end, only a 0.1% of non-americans may now where it is. Its simple, Tlusa = doesnt respresnts the American people.

Badenweiler, GER; for example, seems to have more national identity. So even Orlando hosting Olympics hears better :lol:

^By the end of this year.

Lol :lol: Maybe they wont bid at the end, only a 0.1% of non-americans may now where it is. Its simple, Tlusa = doesnt respresnts the American people.

Not according to the infinite wisdom of Jennifer Jones, who says that the people want to see smaller podunk, hick places like Tulsa. And that the larger cities like New York & Los Angeles "don't really represent the 'real' America". What a tool she is! :lol:

Here is an aerial image of Tulsa.

fbcf1d23bc6913b3051e0776d7beb9f5.png

So where are you going to put those cruise ships? There is a big lake miles and miles North of Tulsa, but I assume there are rules that the rooms have to be, you know, nearby.

You don't.

IF Tulsa were to make a plausible proposal, it would be the existing 15,000 rooms, an ambitious 10,000 rooms, 10,000 rooms in Media Villages and 10,000-20,000 serviced apartments, hostels, university accommodation, camping grounds and rental properties.

Archived