The atmosphere in London's streets?

mr.x

Anyone in London right now? What are the city streets like? And what are the Live Sites like?

There was much talk by LOCOG organizers following Vancouver that they hoped to replicate the atmosphere that was in the streets of the 2010 Host City.

4372441398_483b45856e.jpg

So far I've read that public transportation has been good. I know a number of my friends that live in London were worried about this. I guess it's all those ex VANOCers that ended up getting jobs with LOCOG are doing good! B)

So far I've read that public transportation has been good. I know a number of my friends that live in London were worried about this. I guess it's all those ex VANOCers that ended up getting jobs with LOCOG are doing good! B)

I actually do know quite a few VANOC staff and volunteers that are now working at London!

I actually do know quite a few VANOC staff and volunteers that are now working at London!

I know as soon as our games were over, a bunch of VANOCer's got hired by LOCOG and a bunch got hired by the Rio 2016 organizing committee, and some went to Sochi. I guess we did good here in 2010!

I think it's hard to say. London is so vast, especially compared with Vancouver so there seems to be a big focus on the live sites in Hyde Park and Victoria Park and I think lots of people stay in the Olympic Park all day where there is so much going on. There was a great atmosphere around the road races and Hyde Park has had a real holiday atmosphere for much of the time.

I know some shops and restaurants in the west end have reported that it's too quiet but the transport system is coping well and Stratford with the Westfield development is really bustling.

I've found (after just one day, admittedly) that it depends where you are. Here at Greeenwich, and around the tourist areas like the Tower of London, yes, there's heaps of crowds, including athletes in team kits and lots of national supporters etc. Actually, loved the atmosphere arpound Greenwich lst night - lots of buskers and people milling etc. Other areas, say Canary Wharf or the area around Bank and Monument stations, seems to be, well, almost quiet from what I usually expect in London. Same with decorations - some placs plenty, others not a sign.

Haven't been to Stratford yet (tonight I'll be going to O2/North Greenwich Stadium), but it sounds like how Sydney Olympic Park was in 2000 - totally thronged at most times. I'll experience that later in the week.

Actually, we (well Martin and Seth and I) were just talking about this. I think one thing is that London is so big, that the Games don't totally take over it like it did in (from my experience) smaller cities like Sydney and Atlanta. Still, the vibe is good - and everyone seems in great spirits - chatting with passrs by and all that.

Might head off to Somerset House (Casa Brazil) today, so I'll see what it's like around there.

Actually, we (well Martin and Seth and I) were just talking about this. I think one thing is that London is so big, that the Games don't totally take over it like it did in (from my experience) smaller cities like Sydney and Atlanta. Still, the vibe is good - and everyone seems in great spirits - chatting with passrs by and all that.

That's too bad. I thought the Olympics would be able to take over London for 2 weeks. Maybe later in the week, as Britain starts to pick up. Although not comparable to Vancouver, there was a strong shift in 2010 towards embracing the Games in the 2nd week.

The Games are being embraced, but London is huge. There are lots of areas unaffected by the Olympics, then there are areas where you can definitely tell the circus is in town. That's not unexpected.

Travelling into and out of town has been great though. On the trains there are lots of people with flags, T-shirts, dozens of Gamesmakers and everyone - even other Londoners like me - talking about the Games and what they or their friends are seeing. It's the only topic of conversation right now and I'm enjoying evesdropping when I'm pretending to listen to music!

RobH is absolutely right. And a key marker that it is far from business as usual is that people are talking to strangers all over the place!

But I can't stress how much you need to remember how huge London is and this has an impact on the intensity of atmosphere.

It is definitely being embraced but how visibly depends on how far you are from the epicentre! As RobH and markun say, Londoners are actually talking to one another! :o

Where crowds gather though, there's definitely a great atmosphere in the air. Even at work, they've put a big projector screen up in one of the breakout areas that shows live coverage and today, it was packed for the rowing and cycling finishes with even those who aren't really into sports coming up to watch.

And a key marker that it is far from business as usual is that people are talking to strangers all over the place!

That happened in Vancouver. And it was kind of a funny part of the experience. I would talk to strangers sitting or standing next to me at a venue, the cauldron or a live site, ask them where they were from and vice versa. The funny thing was that the majority answered 'Vancouver' - we'd chuckle because we were all rather hoping to meet and greet oodles of foreign visitors. That happened, but everyone in the city was in a good....errr, no FANTASTIC mood.

I wish I could live in an Olympic city every day.

That happened in Vancouver. And it was kind of a funny part of the experience. I would talk to strangers sitting or standing next to me at a venue, the cauldron or a live site, ask them where they were from and vice versa. The funny thing was that the majority answered 'Vancouver' - we'd chuckle because we were all rather hoping to meet and greet oodles of foreign visitors. That happened, but everyone in the city was in a good....errr, no FANTASTIC mood.

I wish I could live in an Olympic city every day.

Same here. Was talking with a bunch of strangers. Even did a TV interview with an American TV crew at the Rusky Dom! - I earned a pin from that one. :)

Interesting!

Just saw an artical on the midday news saying downtown London is empty of regular tourists...Costing $$$$. One of the local tourist operators said yes there are 600 000 people in town - it's just that they are all out at Stratford! Tourist operators and resturanturs are saying expected numbers are no where to be seen. A theater operator said a great once in a lifetime show is on, but just not in her theater!

So if anyone over there reads this - head into town - you'll get a seat on or in just about anything.

:mellow: Seriously - this happened during the 2011 Rugby World Cup - yes they all came to NZ, but they spent $$$ on Rugby things only, then left. Regular tourists stay away when a major event is on.

Just saw an artical on the midday news saying downtown London is empty of regular tourists...Costing $$$$. One of the local tourist operators said yes there are 600 000 people in town - it's just that they are all out at Stratford! Tourist operators and resturanturs are saying expected numbers are no where to be seen. A theater operator said a great once in a lifetime show is on, but just not in her theater!

I dunno - didn't seem to be any shortage of tourists around the Tower of london the other day. And there's no shortage of visitors anywhere in the streets and trains - you can't get on a train without rubbing shoulders with Aussies, Germans, Yanks, Swedes, Chinese etc. I'd guess most people are here to view the games, rather than tourist sightseeing - the tourist bit is more tha afterthought to people's visits (take me - I've done enough of the tourist sights in past visits to London - I really have no burning urge to go see Buckingham Palace again, for example).

I'll see how buzzing things are in the West End tonight.

The Games are being embraced, but London is huge. There are lots of areas unaffected by the Olympics, then there are areas where you can definitely tell the circus is in town. That's not unexpected.

Travelling into and out of town has been great though. On the trains there are lots of people with flags, T-shirts, dozens of Gamesmakers and everyone - even other Londoners like me - talking about the Games and what they or their friends are seeing. It's the only topic of conversation right now and I'm enjoying evesdropping when I'm pretending to listen to music!

I totally agree and I think it will become better and better - it is great to talk with people in the tube, in the streets, in the shops, ....

Everybody is very cheerful and kind - I had a great talk with a Slovenian gymnast, who I met after the canoe slalom, on the train - he was great in German and we had a really nice chat. Or the Aussie girl eating her sandwich... Or the US-americans from Minneapolis, when I was on my way to the swimming... Or the British-German couple with their son on the DLR...

Everybody is sharing their thoughts and giving comfort when ones expectations hadn't been fulfilled (concerning medals)...

Archived