New Wembley Stadium

mr.x

AARRGGGHHHHH, i cant figure out how to post images on here yet, but i was looking through the wembly website and by the looks of things it would appear that they are getting things ready to lift the arch into place now.

From a few of the webcam shots, you get a pretty clear view of the arch and cranes with the lines all attatched, things are certainly progressing here..... this is how you build a stadium Athens......lol :laughlong:

:D whilst I would never point to Athens as a measure of how to build a stadium I don't think Wembley is a good idea either.  Look at the delays in financing - the wrangle over lottery funding - the fight between the Athletics and Football governing bodies - the costs (the worlds most expensive stadium) - the delays in construction blah de blah de blah.

Not exactly the image of good work.   :oo:  :D  :P

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AARRGGGHHHHH, i cant figure out how to post images on here yet, but i was looking through the wembly website and by the looks of things it would appear that they are getting things ready to lift the arch into place now.

From a few of the webcam shots, you get a pretty clear view of the arch and cranes with the lines all attatched, things are certainly progressing here..... this is how you build a stadium Athens......lol :laughlong:

:D whilst I would never point to Athens as a measure of how to build a stadium I don't think Wembley is a good idea either.  Look at the delays in financing - the wrangle over lottery funding - the fight between the Athletics and Football governing bodies - the costs (the worlds most expensive stadium) - the delays in construction blah de blah de blah.

Despite a minor delay in lifting the arch in to place, the construction of wembley stadium is ahead of schedule.

It may be the world's most expensive stadium - although i dont know if that's true - but thats probably cause it will be the world's best stadium, and is the newest stadium in an expensive, developed country.

The Wembley construction is also ahead of schedule, so i don't think it's too bad, actually.

I can't wait till the arch comes up, but I hear it will be delayed a short while for final strengthening works.

When speaking of delays I was talking more about the delays in the process of funding designing and planning the building.  So far the construction is on plan but with the building not due to be ready for a few years there is a lot that can go wrong.

Is that me being sceptical!!  Surely not.   :devil:

AARRGGGHHHHH,

Well, I think in years to come looking back, we will be glad that proper time was spent in planning. It may have been a long time coming, but better that than a flimsy business plan and a sub-standard stadium, which the media would have had a field-day with when it opened.

Although the overall spend is huge, remember this is a HUGE stadium with a lot more capacity and facilities than others of a similar nature around the world. I'm sure that the "cost per seat" of Wembley works out to be very similar to that of Stade de France and the Sydney Olympic stadium....

i might be wrong.. but im sure i read something somewhere recently that all the british football federations had been in preliminary talks with Barbera Cassani to discuss the possibilities of forming a British football team for inclusion in the games should they be won by London.... but then again..... i might be wrong :oo:  :laughlong:  :wwww:

It may be the world's most expensive stadium - although i dont know if that's true - but thats probably cause it will be the world's best stadium, and is the newest stadium in an expensive, developed country.

But how long?

Which team will play there?

Will Team England play their national matches only in Wembley?

Which teams will play the opening match?

Which team has won the last match in the OLD Wembly?

Don´t know anymore...what a pity....

I believe it was Chelsea won the last game in old Wembley (the FA Cup Final)

The 2006 FA Cup Final is the proposed first match at New Wembley

Team England will play the majority of their games at Wembley - similar to the old arrangement where a few games were farmed out to Manchester or Newcastle or other cities further from London

Sorry London2012, most of your last post was wrong.

The last match at Wembley was against Germany. The result doesn't matter. :verysad:

The first match at the new Wembley will infact be an England international, not the 2006 FA Cup Final. (on the Wembleystadium.com site)

I think to justify the cost the England team ("Team England"  ??? ) will be playing all their home games at Wembley. They should as well, since it will be the best stadium in the world IMHO.

So far as other teams playing matches there, at the moment is unlikely. There is, last I heard some legal mumbo-jumbo preventing that. Ar***l will almost certainly be playing in a new 60000 seater at Ashburton Grove by that point. I can't see Chelski wanting to go there either. The only other team in the running would be Spurs. Nice idea but it will remain, like the Old Wembley, a venue for international football and music events I think.

Because it is a national stadium! The stadium will be used for England games, and probably music events too as has been said. the arrangement will be similar to that with the old Wembley.

Also, there arent too many clubs that could fill a 90 00 capacity stadium every week, and to play all the time under empty stands would surely damage team morale!

Also, it is a company who owns the land and is handling the facelift the whole area is to receive (and is receiving).  they might want to keep things to themseves to enhance profits or whatever.

Goethe, if you are trying to say that the stadium is not good because there will be no Premier League team in it, or that it is not good enough for any such team, i would have to say the point is flimsy, risible and untrue.... :D

Goethe, if you are trying to say that the stadium is not good because there will be no Premier League team in it, or that it is not good enough for any such team, i would have to say the point is flimsy, risible and untrue....  

That was not my intention!! But it is hard to understand, that the stadium won´t be used by a Premier League Club

BTW here in Germany we think we built the best staium of the world::

Allianz-arena in Munich in English

Sorry London2012, most of your last post was wrong.

The last match at Wembley was against Germany. The result doesn't matter. :verysad:

The first match at the new Wembley will infact be an England international, not the 2006 FA Cup Final. (on the Wembleystadium.com site)

I think to justify the cost the England team ("Team England"  ??? ) will be playing all their home games at Wembley. They should as well, since it will be the best stadium in the world IMHO.

So far as other teams playing matches there, at the moment is unlikely. There is, last I heard some legal mumbo-jumbo preventing that. Ar***l will almost certainly be playing in a new 60000 seater at Ashburton Grove by that point. I can't see Chelski wanting to go there either. The only other team in the running would be Spurs. Nice idea but it will remain, like the Old Wembley, a venue for international football and music events I think.

But i think one of the lasts mach was agaisnt Brazil. I tryed research but I didn´t find anything.

If you are able, can you see it for me?

Just for curiosity. :)

The Allianz-arena looks great, but its capacity alone means it doesn't seem to be in the same league as the new wembley (90,000 compared to 66,000).

Is this where the world cup final in 2006 will be hosted?

I personally think the new stadium in Beijing looks amazing!!

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium....s.shtml

for future world stadiums.

:wwww:

Is this where the world cup final in 2006 will be hosted?
The Opening Match will be played there. There reason, why the stadium is so "small", is that Munich still has its Olympic Stadium with a capacity of about 60.000. But it won´t see any WorldCup Match. We´ve lost there 1:5 to England in 2001!!!!
Also, what about the 82000 seater for Hertha Berlin, the pictures looks amazing (see world stadium site in previous post). Will the Allianz Arena even be the best stadium in Germany?

You know, this is the the Olympic Stadium from 1936 with a new roof. It is under protection as an historic monument. Finally i think it is a matter of taste, which one you prefer. The total new one in Munich or the Stadium with history in Berlin.

Allianz Arena is nice, but i prefere the Olympic stadium myself.

Also I think Berlin's stadium is very nice, and will be great with new roof.

However new Wembley looks great too, and the arch will add that something extra, like the two towers did at Old wembley.

Hey this is great news for the UK Olympic Commitee!

Turkish Woman Appointed to UK Olympic Committee

Turkish Woman Appointed to UK Olympic Committee

2003.11.06_12-02-14ayfer.jpg

A Turkish woman named Ayfer Orhan has been appointed to the U.K.'s Olympic Committee. She is a politician, a member of the Labor Party, which is currently in power. She had also been previously as a representative.

She will be part of a commission in charge of preparing the elimination competitions and planning the Olympic facilities in Hackney, Haringey and Edmonton, where most of the Turkish-speaking population lives. Orhan emphasized that Turkish speakers will also be able participate in the process.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Wembley's arch goes up

Wembley's iconic arch was due to be raised on Friday, the first stage to lift it into position.

The 440ft structure weighing 2,000 tons has been suspended by cables and the operation is expected to completed in coming weeks.

Despite defects found in the steel in March, project bosses pledged the arch would be lifted ahead of schedule.

Wembley remains on target to open in 2006, with that year's FA Cup final set to be the first match.

Construction managers said some "minor rectification works" were required on finding the defects in March and stressed the arch was not unsafe.

What were described as "quality assurance checks" revealed more work was needed on the complex structure's steel.

The £757m Venue of Legends has tabled a bid to stage the 2007 Champions League final.

Archived