Dick Ebersol resigning from NBC Sports

Didn't you say you were done already? Twice now? You are too funny.

Does Northwest Airlines still exist? They merged with Delta. Former NWA pilots and flight attendants are still flying with the merged Airline, under the Delta name. Former NWA aircraft are stilly flying painted in the Delta livery. Does Northwest Airlines still exist? No, it doesn't. Delta absorbed them. Same thing for NBC Sports and the Versus channel.

Why you can't grasp this is a mystery.

Yea, I know what I said, but seeing someone as ignorant as you in a forum like this makes me worried someone else will come in here and actually listen to you and think you may have something useful to say. It's like arguing with a child (see now I'm just resorting to cheap insults, I'm certainly not done with that).

Thank you for giving such a mis-guided example, makes it easier for me to show you where you're wrong. When Delta and Northwest merged, the intent was to turn the 2 airlines into 1 seamless operation, that's how airlines work. I know you're probably thinking "well what about versus.com".. is Versus (or when it becomes NBC Sports channel in case you thought you needed to remind me again), is there still going to be a channel where Versus was? Well, for the rest of us that actually enjoy cable television (that's fine if you don't, pay television is not a necessary expense for everyone) it will be. I get Versus on channel 481. NBCU has absorbed Versus, but is there still going to be a television station on channel 481? Of course there is! Whereas that plane that used to park at the Northwest gate, is it going to be there anymore? Nope, it went over to the Delta gate while the Northwest gate is empty.

Can you see the difference between the 2? Or do you need me to dumb it down a little more so you can understand where you're wrong?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I know what I said, but seeing someone as ignorant as you in a forum like this makes me worried someone else will come in here and actually listen to you and think you may have something useful to say. It's like arguing with a child (see now I'm just resorting to cheap insults, I'm certainly not done with that).

Thank you for giving such a mis-guided example, makes it easier for me to show you where you're wrong. When Delta and Northwest merged, the intent was to turn the 2 airlines into 1 seamless operation, that's how airlines work. I know you're probably thinking "well what about versus.com".. is Versus (or when it becomes NBC Sports channel in case you thought you needed to remind me again), is there still going to be a channel where Versus was? Well, for the rest of us that actually enjoy cable television (that's fine if you don't, pay television is not a necessary expense for everyone) it will be. I get Versus on channel 481. NBCU has absorbed Versus, but is there still going to be a television station on channel 481? Of course there is! Whereas that plane that used to park at the Northwest gate, is it going to be there anymore? Nope, it went over to the Delta gate while the Northwest gate is empty.

Can you see the difference between the 2? Or do you need me to dumb it down a little more so you can understand where you're wrong?

LOL, wow you are really really thick! Yes, there will still be a sports channel on your Ch. 481. BUT IT WON'T BE VERSUS. IT WILL BE AN ENTIRELY NEW CHANNEL!

It'll be the NBC Sports channel and crazy old Quaker will still be here talking about how "Versus still exists",

http://www.versus.com

LOL, wow you are really really thick! Yes, there will still be a sports channel on your Ch. 481. BUT IT WON'T BE VERSUS. IT WILL BE AN ENTIRELY NEW CHANNEL!

It'll be the NBC Sports channel and crazy old Quaker will still be here talking about how "Versus still exists",

Holy freakin' crap, have you not read any of my posts. I keep saying THE NETWORK, still exists, not "Versus." For the 17th time, you're not telling me anything I don't already know!! You kept saying "VERSUS IS GOING AWAY. PERIOD" There's still a television network there that may not be the same television network that was there before, but that doesn't mean going away. Going away means completely gone and/or replaced by something brand new. When a product or company is re-branded, that didn't mean it went away. Even Universal Sports was something before it was Universal Sports. Call it what you want but a year from now when I'm watching my sports channel on channel 481, that's what used to be Versus, it's not an entirely new channel. An entirely new channel would be the women's sowing network. Taking a sports channel and re-branding it into a.. sports channel, does not mean it's entirely new.

Again, on what television viewing experience are you basing this one? Gonna keep sending me the URL until you realize it doesn't mean a thing for the television network? Unbelievable how stubborn and ignorant you are.

I doubt think Ebersol leaving will change anything. That story was published on May 9th, 2011, Ebersol's departure hit the news May 19th, 2011.

Olympic programming is on Universal Sports, not "Versus".

P.S. You don't have to pay $70 a month for TV. You could pay $0.00 a month for TV like I do.

I don't think I've ever watched Universal Sports, I'm not sure I'd know where to find it.

Anyway, yeah I wish I didn't have to pay that much, it was $65.00 for Time Warner, and I switched to DirecTV to get Sunday Ticket, and ESPN Game Plan, can't get those OTA got a good deal that's why I went with the "Ultimate" package, when it pops up to $70 later this year I'm busting back down to the $60.00 a month one and I think I'm only adding ESPN Gameplan, but with the Buckeye's possibly being destroyed by the NCAA I may not even get the ESPN plan this year.

It's unbelievable how stubborn and idiotic and IGNORANT you are! And your story keeps changing little by little with the wind!!!!

Do you know or understand how freaking ridiculous you sound? You've even made arguments to support you weird view that somehow VERSUS will still exist that inadvertently ended up supporting my argument!

The new NBC Sports channel is REPLACING VERSUS, and it will be entirely different that what you have been seeing on the "Versus" channel.

You claim to know so much, but, you're really pretty dense.

Best quote:

"There's still a television network there that may not be the same television network that was there before, but that doesn't mean going away" :blink: :blink: :blink: WHICH IS IT???

VERSUS IS DEAD, being REPLACED BY NBC SPORTS. THERE WILL BE NO MORE VERSUS CHANNEL.

It's unbelievable how stubborn and idiotic and IGNORANT you are! And your story keeps changing little by little with the wind!!!!

Do you know or understand how freaking ridiculous you sound? You've even made arguments to support you weird view that somehow VERSUS will still exist that inadvertently ended up supporting my argument!

The new NBC Sports channel is REPLACING VERSUS, and it will be entirely different that what you have been seeing on the "Versus" channel.

You claim to know so much, but, you're really pretty dense.

Do you realize that you're attacking the part of the argument I agree with you on but you're too dimwitted to realize it?

What does Versus show now? Hockey, IndyCar, the Tour de France (which, btw, is going to get some coverage on NBC this year), some college football and basketball, etc. What is NBC Sports Channel going to be showing? Hockey, IndyCar, the Tour de France, some college football and basketball. Explain to me how that is that "entirely different"? I suggested maybe they put some Olympic sports programming there, but you shot me down saying that's what Universal Sports is for. Other than whatever changes NBC is going to make, and trust me they'll be more cosmetic than anything, what is going to be so radically changed other than the name? It's not like they're blowing up the Versus building and starting completely from scratch. THAT would be "going away" and "replacing Versus," not taking an existing company/product and re-branding it. But feel free to send me the URL again if that makes you feel better.

Need another example (which could be a tough sell since you don't actually watch cable television).. how about College Sports Television? They were bought out by CBS 3 years ago, I know because I used to work there. They changed the name to CBS College Sports. 1 afternoon (the Sunday of the NCAA Tournament), they flipped the switched. Nothing replaced anything except for the name. Same network, same studios, mostly the same announcers and technical crew. CSTV didn't die, just the name associated with it. When you re-upholster a couch, is it not still the same couch? If you re-paint a car, is it not still the same car?

OneTime, I understand what you're saying, but the way you're saying it is where you're losing this argument. I don't claim to know that much, but I know a faulty argument when I see it. The entire network is not being "replaced." The name is, of course (but didn't that happen once before when they went from OLN to Versus?). Some of the personnel, yes. Some of the programming, probably, but that could have happened anyway without NBC there. I cannot fathom how you can assume and claim how different things will be after the re-brand when A) you've probably never watched a minute of their network in your life and B) I doubt even the NBC guys know exactly what they're going to do with Versus once they take over and change SOME THINGS, not everything. You can't possibly know what they're going to do short of the name change and you don't even know what that is going to be.

I don't think I've ever watched Universal Sports, I'm not sure I'd know where to find it.

Anyway, yeah I wish I didn't have to pay that much, it was $65.00 for Time Warner, and I switched to DirecTV to get Sunday Ticket, and ESPN Game Plan, can't get those OTA got a good deal that's why I went with the "Ultimate" package, when it pops up to $70 later this year I'm busting back down to the $60.00 a month one and I think I'm only adding ESPN Gameplan, but with the Buckeye's possibly being destroyed by the NCAA I may not even get the ESPN plan this year.

If you're into Olympic sports, it's a great channel. But if you have high-def, it's a very sucky channel because it's not available in HD and DirecTV doesn't carry it (1 of the reasons I'm glad I have Time Warner instead of them come the Olympics).

Do you realize that you're attacking the part of the argument I agree with you on but you're too dimwitted to realize it?

What does Versus show now? Hockey, IndyCar, the Tour de France (which, btw, is going to get some coverage on NBC this year), some college football and basketball, etc. What is NBC Sports Channel going to be showing? Hockey, IndyCar, the Tour de France, some college football and basketball. Explain to me how that is that "entirely different"? I suggested maybe they put some Olympic sports programming there, but you shot me down saying that's what Universal Sports is for. Other than whatever changes NBC is going to make, and trust me they'll be more cosmetic than anything, what is going to be so radically changed other than the name? It's not like they're blowing up the Versus building and starting completely from scratch. THAT would be "going away" and "replacing Versus," not taking an existing company/product and re-branding it. But feel free to send me the URL again if that makes you feel better.

Need another example (which could be a tough sell since you don't actually watch cable television).. how about College Sports Television? They were bought out by CBS 3 years ago, I know because I used to work there. They changed the name to CBS College Sports. 1 afternoon (the Sunday of the NCAA Tournament), they flipped the switched. Nothing replaced anything except for the name. Same network, same studios, mostly the same announcers and technical crew. CSTV didn't die, just the name associated with it. When you re-upholster a couch, is it not still the same couch? If you re-paint a car, is it not still the same car?

OneTime, I understand what you're saying, but the way you're saying it is where you're losing this argument. I don't claim to know that much, but I know a faulty argument when I see it. The entire network is not being "replaced." The name is, of course (but didn't that happen once before when they went from OLN to Versus?). Some of the personnel, yes. Some of the programming, probably, but that could have happened anyway without NBC there. I cannot fathom how you can assume and claim how different things will be after the re-brand when A) you've probably never watched a minute of their network in your life and B) I doubt even the NBC guys know exactly what they're going to do with Versus once they take over and change SOME THINGS, not everything. You can't possibly know what they're going to do short of the name change and you don't even know what that is going to be.

I haven't lost any argument, you're just....a moron.,..who can't admit when he's wrong. I've said it before, I'll say it again. VERSUS IS DEAD. VERSUS WILL NOT EXIST ANYMORE. There will be a NEW sports channel called NBC SPORTS. The only way for Versus to go away is to "blow up the building". Are you fucking serious??? You couldn't even grasp the NWA/Delta airlines example, implying that if the Northwest planes repainted in the Delta livery were still parking at the old Northwest gates instead of Delta gates, then yes, Northwest Airlines would still exist. I cannot believe you are just that dumb, but apparently, you are. Face the fact that Versus is going away, that it will be replaced by the NBC SPORTS channel, and that it will look, taste, feel and be something different than what Versus was. IT WILL NOT BE THE SAME CHANNEL.

Obviously that's just too hard of a concept for you to grasp. Talk about dimwitted, look in the mirror.

P.S. By your idiotic reasoning and examples, I guess Outdoor Life Network still exists!!!!!!

"On the May 8, 2011 edition of WindTunnel with Dave Despain, Speed Channel and Versus IndyCar commentator Robin Miller said the plan is for NBC to re-brand the channel as NBC Sports. The process, Miller said, is currently underway and will be done in several weeks. Miller said the look of the channel would be "completely done-over" and that viewers would see a major difference from what they see now with Versus."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versus_(TV_channel)#2011-present

If you're into Olympic sports, it's a great channel. But if you have high-def, it's a very sucky channel because it's not available in HD and DirecTV doesn't carry it (1 of the reasons I'm glad I have Time Warner instead of them come the Olympics).

Of course, if you have DirecTV, especially if you live in one of the markets where your local NBC station is an O&O, you can still catch it as an OTA digital sub-channel. In New York and Los Angeles, it's on channel 4.4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Sports#Affiliates

I haven't lost any argument, you're just....a moron.,..who can't admit when he's wrong. I've said it before, I'll say it again. VERSUS IS DEAD. VERSUS WILL NOT EXIST ANYMORE. There will be a NEW sports channel called NBC SPORTS. The only way for Versus to go away is to "blow up the building". Are you fucking serious??? You couldn't even grasp the NWA/Delta airlines example, implying that if the Northwest planes repainted in the Delta livery were still parking at the old Northwest gates instead of Delta gates, then yes, Northwest Airlines would still exist. I cannot believe you are just that dumb, but apparently, you are. Face the fact that Versus is going away, that it will be replaced by the NBC SPORTS channel, and that it will look, taste, feel and be something different than what Versus was. IT WILL NOT BE THE SAME CHANNEL.

Obviously that's just too hard of a concept for you to grasp. Talk about dimwitted, look in the mirror.

P.S. By your idiotic reasoning and examples, I guess Outdoor Life Network still exists!!!!!!

"On the May 8, 2011 edition of WindTunnel with Dave Despain, Speed Channel and Versus IndyCar commentator Robin Miller said the plan is for NBC to re-brand the channel as NBC Sports. The process, Miller said, is currently underway and will be done in several weeks. Miller said the look of the channel would be "completely done-over" and that viewers would see a major difference from what they see now with Versus."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versus_(TV_channel)#2011-present

It's the same friggin' channel! 1 day they're going to flip a switch, change some of the graphics, and call it something different. That's not replacing it with a new channel. What, because Wikipedia is citing a commentator with some Inside Info, that's your smoking gun? Does he use the word "replace" anywhere? I see the words "change" and "difference," but those mean different things than "replace." Even "completely done-over" doesn't mean "replace." I think someone needs to buy you a dictionary!

Seriously though, believe it or not, we're both essentially in agreement over what is going to happen soon with Versus. The only difference is what you're calling it versus what I'm calling it. You view it as "replacing," I call it "changing." You're making a distinction between Versus and the newly named network and treating them as 2 completely separate entities. To me, if it's mostly the same programming coming from the same studio and the same control with most of the same people there, even if it looks, feels, and smells different, that's still the same television network. I bet you probably think that "Versus" replaced "Outdoor Life Network" when literally all that changed was the name. Versus IS Outdoor Life Network. They are one in the same, just like Versus and NBC whatever are 1 in the same. It's not a new network or company that's being created (I know, the website, put up the URL again for us in case we forgot). Please do the world a favor and make an attempt to get this into your head.

BTW, I apologize to anyone reading this thread who has waded through this whole pissing contest between me and OneTimeOnly, especially after I called him and baron out for doing the same. Hopefully at some point, someone will bring up something relevant to the conversation so that there can be some legitimate discussion here, not some ridiculous argument where all we're arguing about this point is semantics.

It's the same friggin' channel! 1 day they're going to flip a switch, change some of the graphics, and call it something different. That's not replacing it with a new channel. What, because Wikipedia is citing a commentator with some Inside Info, that's your smoking gun? Does he use the word "replace" anywhere? I see the words "change" and "difference," but those mean different things than "replace." Even "completely done-over" doesn't mean "replace." I think someone needs to buy you a dictionary!

Seriously though, believe it or not, we're both essentially in agreement over what is going to happen soon with Versus. The only difference is what you're calling it versus what I'm calling it. You view it as "replacing," I call it "changing." You're making a distinction between Versus and the newly named network and treating them as 2 completely separate entities. To me, if it's mostly the same programming coming from the same studio and the same control with most of the same people there, even if it looks, feels, and smells different, that's still the same television network. I bet you probably think that "Versus" replaced "Outdoor Life Network" when literally all that changed was the name. Versus IS Outdoor Life Network. They are one in the same, just like Versus and NBC whatever are 1 in the same. It's not a new network or company that's being created (I know, the website, put up the URL again for us in case we forgot). Please do the world a favor and make an attempt to get this into your head.

BTW, I apologize to anyone reading this thread who has waded through this whole pissing contest between me and OneTimeOnly, especially after I called him and baron out for doing the same. Hopefully at some point, someone will bring up something relevant to the conversation so that there can be some legitimate discussion here, not some ridiculous argument where all we're arguing about this point is semantics.

See, you really are moronic. :rolleyes:Outdoor Life Network still exists! You just said it! Oh yeah, and so does Northwest Airlines ;)

OLN ceased to exist a long time ago, and while the owners of NBC Sports are the same people who own Versus, VERSUS WILL BE DEAD.

YOU, get THAT into your head!

See, you really are moronic. :rolleyes:Outdoor Life Network still exists! You just said it! Oh yeah, and so does Northwest Airlines ;)

OLN ceased to exist a long time ago, and while the owners of NBC Sports are the same people who own Versus, VERSUS WILL BE DEAD.

YOU, get THAT into your head!

Are OLN and Versus not the exact same thing just with a different name? The name Outdoor Life Network may be gone, but the network is still there. Other than the name, what got "replaced?" When the Tennessee Oilers changed their name to the Titans back in 1999, did that mean that Oilers were dead or that they ceased to exist? No, same exact franchise, just with a new logo and a new name. If you told someone "The Oilers are dead" (except you'd put it in all caps for emphasis and say THE OILERS ARE DEAD), they'd laugh at you and some "no they're not, the Oilers are now the Titans." Same team, new name, that's all. The name is dead, not the franchise. You do know the difference, right? Or is the semantics of all this where you assume I don't get you.

For Versus to be dead, that means that they have to stop operating as a television network. The name is dying, yes. I haven't disagreed with that from the minute we started this conversation. But you still seem to have trouble making a distinction between the name and the physical thing it represents. If I changed my screen name to Quaker2002, does that mean that Quaker2001 is dead? No, I'd still be here, all that's dead is my name. Again, please learn to make a distinction between the two and trying to convince me that a television is going off the air. It's not. I know that. Pretty sure you know that. And I think I just saw a dog on the street that knows that.

Are OLN and Versus not the exact same thing just with a different name? The name Outdoor Life Network may be gone, but the network is still there.

NO NO NO NO NO. Oh My God NO. I'm not even reading the rest of what you wrote before I write this because the answer is emphatically NO. Just because the same physical infrastructure is still there and even the same employees, does not mean the Network or Channel is still there.

You're really incredible. How'd you get out of college?

NO NO NO NO NO. Oh My God NO. I'm not even reading the rest of what you wrote before I write this because the answer is emphatically NO. Just because the same physical infrastructure is still there and even the same employees, does not mean the Network or Channel is still there.

You're really incredible. How'd you get out of college?

Wow, thank you for allowing me to put an end to this because now it's official, like I said several posts ago this is really all about semantics. That is your OPINION of how you perceive a name change. I see it the other way, that if the physical infrastructure is still there, then you're still talking about the same thing and all that's not there is the name. We just have to agree to disagree on this one, which is just as well because I'm ready to go to sleep. Really glad we wasted all this time because I had a feeling this was what the argument was about from the start. I should have called it quits when I said I was going to.

And by the way, since you brought it up.. I graduated with an engineering degree from the University of Pennsylvania. What podunk school decided to give you a diploma?

Wow, thank you for allowing me to put an end to this because now it's official, like I said several posts ago this is really all about semantics. That is your OPINION of how you perceive a name change. I see it the other way, that if the physical infrastructure is still there, then you're still talking about the same thing and all that's not there is the name. We just have to agree to disagree on this one, which is just as well because I'm ready to go to sleep. Really glad we wasted all this time because I had a feeling this was what the argument was about from the start. I should have called it quits when I said I was going to.

And by the way, since you brought it up.. I graduated with an engineering degree from the University of Pennsylvania. What podunk school decided to give you a diploma?

Whoop-de-do, you went to PENN. I went to USC in Los Angeles (and graduated, yes) and was a student in their School of Cinema-Television (now known as the School of Cinematic Arts). My emphasis in the school was Film History, Theory, and Criticism.

P.S. it's no wonder you have a fricken woody for Comcrap. You went to school in Philadelphia.

P.S. it's no wonder you have a fricken woody for Comcrap. You went to school in Philadelphia.

Right, that's what you should be taking away from this. What exactly gave off the idea I care in the least about Comcast or what they do? This was never an issue about how good or bad Comcast is. It was all about semantics and nothing else and really a giant waste of time for both of us. Whatever, time to move on.

It was all about semantics and nothing else and really a giant waste of time for both of us. Whatever, time to move on.

It was never about semantics, that's just your convenient way of trying to make yourself look better.

Crazy old Quaker says: Outdoor Life Network STILL EXISTS! :lol:

A couple more articles discussing the bid process coming up in Lausanne...

Olympic Rights: Networks Gear Up For Games' Auction

Will Bidding Be A Games-Changer For U.S. Networks?

Nothing really new on the news front, although the first article did bring up a good point that I think is key to the whole process...

Considering that Sochi and Rio don't hold the appeal of Vancouver and London, the number of Games that might be involved and the players' overall auction ardor given the financial prospects, some wonder if the IOC will adhere to the 2003 process, or if it might become like the college of cardinals' papal election.

"What if the IOC doesn't see what it wants, or two of the bids are close and they come back and say, ‘What else can you do?' " said one network executive. "I don't think anybody really knows."

If there's a clear winner, apparently we'll know by Tuesday or Wednesday. If it's not and the bids are close, who knows if this thing may drag out even further.

It was never about semantics, that's just your convenient way of trying to make yourself look better.

Crazy old Quaker says: Outdoor Life Network STILL EXISTS! :lol:

It was always about semantics, that was the only thing we were disagreeing on. Get over yourself and move on.

A couple more articles discussing the bid process coming up in Lausanne...

Olympic Rights: Networks Gear Up For Games' Auction

Will Bidding Be A Games-Changer For U.S. Networks?

Nothing really new on the news front, although the first article did bring up a good point that I think is key to the whole process...

If there's a clear winner, apparently we'll know by Tuesday or Wednesday. If it's not and the bids are close, who knows if this thing may drag out even further.

It was always about semantics, that was the only thing we were disagreeing on. Get over yourself and move on.

Get over yourself. You're an idiot.

How are you two not embarrassed for yourselves? You have spent the last 2+ pages arguing over the most insignificant issues. I know that this is the internet, and that Gamesbids is no place for actual reasonable and calm debate, can't you guys slug out via PM and save the rest of us the post pollution?

How are you two not embarrassed for yourselves? You have spent the last 2+ pages arguing over the most insignificant issues. I know that this is the internet, and that Gamesbids is no place for actual reasonable and calm debate, can't you guys slug out via PM and save the rest of us the post pollution?

Agree.

Trust me, I'm EXTREMELY embarrassed for myself, especially once I realized what our arguing boiled down to, an issue over semantics. I should have let it go when I said I would. Again, I apologize to anyone who bothered to read through all of those posts since it absolutely should have been a PM conversation.

That all said.. does anyone have something they want to contribute to the topic at hand since we're less than 24 hours away from when the real fun begins?

Archived