Dick Ebersol resigning from NBC Sports

No. But no one has said that anyone has to jump either because the IOC says 'jump.'

It's not about jumping because the IOC says so. Fox's bid for 2010/2012 was considered a pretty lowball offer. It's a dangerous strategy, but what if NBComcast thinks they can make a lower offer, convince the IOC to come back at them with what they need to win and then beat the next highest bid by $1 (instead of $700 million). No one has to pay what the IOC wants to win this, all they have to do is beat the competition.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a little info I found reading around the net. "Versus" is going away and will become the "NBC Sports" channel or something similar, but mid July.

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=150158

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=149913&nid=126425

"Dick Ebersol, chairman of the new NBC Sports Group, said Comcast-owned channel Versus will have a new name by mid-July. John Miller, chief marketing officer of NBC Universal, said the new name would most likely incorporate the NBC name and/or trademarks into its new moniker."

Just a little info I found reading around the net. "Versus" is going away and will become the "NBC Sports" channel or something similar, but mid July.

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=149913&nid=126425

"Dick Ebersol, chairman of the new NBC Sports Group, said Comcast-owned channel Versus will have a new name by mid-July. John Miller, chief marketing officer of NBC Universal, said the new name would most likely incorporate the NBC name and/or trademarks into its new moniker."

That had been rumored for a while, and it almost shows how dated the story is that Ebersol is mentioned. The question that remains to be answered is will this whole process still go through now that Ebersol is gone from NBComcast.

What good is changing the name when they don't have the eyeballs? I only have Versus on DirecTV because I went with the higher package to get History International, and in like 6 months when my 2 years are up, I'm dropping down to the lowest level, I'm not paying $70 a month for TV.

Versus or whatever they call it now, is at a huge disadvantage to Fox Sports and ESPN because they tried from when they got NHL to gouge the other MSO's with huge carriage fee's, and demands about distribution placement. How are they going to reach all the eyeballs ESPN does if they're locked away on some high digital cable/satellite package? The MSO's aren't stupid, Versus has programming that is not widely appealing. I don't know when their contracts expire but would Olympic related programming even catch a wide enough audience to persuade someone like DirecTV or Time Warner?

That had been rumored for a while, and it almost shows how dated the story is that Ebersol is mentioned. The question that remains to be answered is will this whole process still go through now that Ebersol is gone from NBComcast.

I doubt think Ebersol leaving will change anything. That story was published on May 9th, 2011, Ebersol's departure hit the news May 19th, 2011.

What good is changing the name when they don't have the eyeballs? I only have Versus on DirecTV because I went with the higher package to get History International, and in like 6 months when my 2 years are up, I'm dropping down to the lowest level, I'm not paying $70 a month for TV.

Versus or whatever they call it now, is at a huge disadvantage to Fox Sports and ESPN because they tried from when they got NHL to gouge the other MSO's with huge carriage fee's, and demands about distribution placement. How are they going to reach all the eyeballs ESPN does if they're locked away on some high digital cable/satellite package? The MSO's aren't stupid, Versus has programming that is not widely appealing. I don't know when their contracts expire but would Olympic related programming even catch a wide enough audience to persuade someone like DirecTV or Time Warner?

Olympic programming is on Universal Sports, not "Versus".

P.S. You don't have to pay $70 a month for TV. You could pay $0.00 a month for TV like I do.

Apparently some people seem to think that the NBC brand might help a little bit. That's part of why Comcast was interested in the merger, especially from the sports end of things. Is NBC branding going to help their visibility? Maybe, maybe not, but maybe it'll help them move away from digital cable purgatory and more into the mainstream. Is Olympic related progarmming going to help? Doubtful. But is the actual Olympics going to help? Absolutely it will and I think Comcast is shrewd enough to play that card for everything it's worth. And don't forget.. some major television contracts are up in the next few years including the NFL and MLB, so you can be sure NBComcast will be taking a look at those.

Olympic programming is on Universal Sports, not "Versus".

P.S. You don't have to pay $70 a month for TV. You could pay $0.00 a month for TV like I do.

That's the other thing.. does NBComcast really need 2 full-time sports networks? It wouldn't surprise me to see them fold Universal Sports' programming into Versus and use their resources together, especially if NBC gets the next Olympic contract. Besides, much as I love Universal Sports, I only get it in SD and that's a huge turn-off.

That's the other thing.. does NBComcast really need 2 full-time sports networks? It wouldn't surprise me to see them fold Universal Sports' programming into Versus and use their resources together, especially if NBC gets the next Olympic contract. Besides, much as I love Universal Sports, I only get it in SD and that's a huge turn-off.

I've been surprised that Comcast hasn't pushed for greater distribution of Universal Sports, at least on its own cable systems. I thought for sure that all Comcast cable subscribers would have access to Universal Sports after the NBC merger. I suppose they're waiting to see what happens with the Olympic TV rights, as I don't expect NBC to continue operating Universal Sports after 2012 if they are no longer broadcasting the Olympics. And yes, I could see Versus and Universal Sports combining, as the vast majority of programming on Universal Sports are repeats.

I've been surprised that Comcast hasn't pushed for greater distribution of Universal Sports, at least on its own cable systems. I thought for sure that all Comcast cable subscribers would have access to Universal Sports after the NBC merger. I suppose they're waiting to see what happens with the Olympic TV rights, as I don't expect NBC to continue operating Universal Sports after 2012 if they are no longer broadcasting the Olympics. And yes, I could see Versus and Universal Sports combining, as the vast majority of programming on Universal Sports are repeats.

Why does Comcast need to push Universal Sports though? It's not even like that's an NBCU creation.. remember they bought out what had been World Championship Sports Network and re-branded it. Considering how little programming they had from Vancouver, it shows you what even NBC thinks of them. Had Versus been in the picture last year, they could have just as easily shown that afternoon block of news/studio programming plus taken all the hockey. Between Versus (and whatever it might be re-branded to) and Universal Sports, why spread resources across 2 networks when you can put everything together into 1. I know OneTimeOnly won't like that since it might mean actually paying for television if you really care about that programming, but at least Versus is somewhat of a known quantity. Universal Sports is not and probably never will be. They might be better served as just being a web presence and nothing more.

Quaker:

VERSUS IS GOING AWAY. PERIOD.

Go to versus.com and see where it takes you!

Versus is going to become NBC SPORTS.

As for paying for television, no, I won't do it. Only when the Olympic Games are on will I subscribe to cable, then cancel it when the games are over. In between, free OTA broadcast television does me just fine. There's a reason I stopped subscribing to cable TV. I NEVER WATCHED IT. It was just pouring money down a drain for nothing. Money that I now spend on other things of far greater value to me. What's on television that's worth paying almost $1,000 or more per year for?

Quaker:

VERSUS IS GOING AWAY. PERIOD.

Go to versus.com and see where it takes you!

Versus is going to become NBC SPORTS.

As for paying for television, no, I won't do it. Only when the Olympic Games are on will I subscribe to cable, then cancel it when the games are over. In between, free OTA broadcast television does me just fine. There's a reason I stopped subscribing to cable TV. I NEVER WATCHED IT. It was just pouring money down a drain for nothing. Money that I now spend on other things of far greater value to me. What's on television that's worth paying almost $1,000 or more per year for?

Versus is getting re-branded, it's not going away. I'm well aware of what's happening to them, but you're making it sound like the network is going away. The name is changing, that's all. I'm well aware of what happened with the website.

And clearly you are not a sports fan. No serious sports fan would ever say "what do I need pay television for." You know how many people out there pay $350 for a few weekends of football games alone? I get that you're okay with nothing more than what you can receive over the air and whatever you supplement that with online, but for the rest of us, I'll gladly pay $1,000 a year for all my sports year-round (not just during the Olympics) and high-speed Internet. There's a reason why sports networks are the most expensive channels out there, it's because there's a lot of people who want that programming that don't consider it "pouring money down the drain."

Versus is getting re-branded, it's not going away. I'm well aware of what's happening to them, but you're making it sound like the network is going away. The name is changing, that's all. I'm well aware of what happened with the website.

No, it's going away. Versus as you know it is going to cease to exist. It will look, feel and smell like NBC SPORTS.

You're right. I have no interest in Professional American Football, Basketball, Baseball or Hockey, or Soccer for that matter.

No, it's going away. Versus as you know it is going to cease to exist. It will look, feel and smell like NBC SPORTS.

It's not going away. ABC Sports went away. They cease to exist in any form. Any sports you see on ABC are a production of ESPN. Versus isn't going to be like that. They may change their name, the programming may look and feel and smell like NBC Sports, but it'll still be a separate (and I imagine still distinct) operation.

It's not going away. ABC Sports went away. They cease to exist in any form. Any sports you see on ABC are a production of ESPN. Versus isn't going to be like that. They may change their name, the programming may look and feel and smell like NBC Sports, but it'll still be a separate (and I imagine still distinct) operation.

Okay, believe what you want, you'll see.

Okay, believe what you want, you'll see.

Yea, I only work in sports television, what do I know. I'm fully aware that NBC is exerting their influence on Versus and firing some of their people and replacing them with their own, but unless you know something I don't (and I sincerely doubt you do), you're reading the situation the wrong way.

Yea, I only work in sports television, what do I know. I'm fully aware that NBC is exerting their influence on Versus and firing some of their people and replacing them with their own, but unless you know something I don't (and I sincerely doubt you do), you're reading the situation the wrong way.

I think it's wishful thinking on your part, for some reason. You seem to have a really big hard on for Comcrap.

I think it's wishful thinking on your part, for some reason. You seem to have a really big hard on for Comcrap.

Again.. I work in the industry. I have friends who work at Versus. I have friends who work at NBC. I don't have a dog in the fight here, but I'm pretty sure if what you were suggested was/is going to happen, I would know before you did. When you come on here and say that you "just found a little info" and link to a story that's nearly a month old (and pre-dates the #1 guy in the division leaving), permit me to go with my own instincts on this one instead of you assuming I don't know what I'm talking about here.

Like I said, you'll see. The channel is being rebranded, being taken over by NBC Sports, they are firing Versus staff and installing their own people and yet somehow you believe Versus will still be running itself and still be itself just with a different name. Okay.

Like I said, you'll see. The channel is being rebranded, being taken over by NBC Sports, they are firing Versus staff and installing their own people and yet somehow you believe Versus will still be running itself and still be itself just with a different name. Okay.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know. The NBC changes were evident long before that May 9th article came out because they started firing staff almost as soon as the merger was approved. And the changes have been rumored for a couple of years now, so it's not like that was a sudden move either. But Versus is going to continue to run itself even if the guys running it come from NBC. Even if Versus decides to come to New York and be based out of 30 Rock, there's still going to be executives and announcers and studios that belong to Versus, even if they share space and resources with NBC. I'm not doubting that Versus will be integrated into the larger NBC operation, but to assume the network is going to stop operating on its own like ABC Sports did is foolish. And I was saying that before NBC's top figurehead decided he didn't want to work for his new bosses at Comcast.

I'm done with this conversation and trying to explain this to you. If you want to believe incorrect notions about what is going on at Versus, go right ahead. I'll continue to trust what I know based on the experience of knowing people who actually work at Versus, not someone who stumbled upon a web article and showed it to the world "ooh look what I just found!"

Oh yeah, and tell me again what happened to the Versus website?

So because the website disappeared, you assume the network is going to disappear as well? Yea, that's sound reasoning. When companies merge, sometimes they combine or share their assets. That's part of the point of merging in the first place. But just because 1 operation goes away does not automatically another one is as well.

Again, not explaining this to you any further. Come back to me in 5 or 10 years when NBC Sportsnet (or whatever they choose to call it) still operates on its own, even if every person employed at the company was hired by NBC.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know. The NBC changes were evident long before that May 9th article came out because they started firing staff almost as soon as the merger was approved. And the changes have been rumored for a couple of years now, so it's not like that was a sudden move either. But Versus is going to continue to run itself even if the guys running it come from NBC. Even if Versus decides to come to New York and be based out of 30 Rock, there's still going to be executives and announcers and studios that belong to Versus, even if they share space and resources with NBC. I'm not doubting that Versus will be integrated into the larger NBC operation, but to assume the network is going to stop operating on its own like ABC Sports did is foolish. And I was saying that before NBC's top figurehead decided he didn't want to work for his new bosses at Comcast.

I'm done with this conversation and trying to explain this to you. If you want to believe incorrect notions about what is going on at Versus, go right ahead. I'll continue to trust what I know based on the experience of knowing people who actually work at Versus, not someone who stumbled upon a web article and showed it to the world "ooh look what I just found!"

You are crazy!! I can't believe some of the stuff you just wrote! Looneyville!!! "...Versus is going to continue to run itself even if the guys running it come from NBC." Huh? Versus is going to cease to exist! It's going to be NBC SPORTS!!!! The website is gone!!! The VERSUS BRAND IS GOING AWAY! How in the hell is that Versus still living???? And even if they move into 30 Rock in New York (Versus "decides". Ha! That's a good one :lol: )? Yeah some former Versus employees will still be around, working for NBC SPORTS, but the Versus channel is TOAST!

Bizarre.... :blink:

You are crazy!! I can't believe some of the stuff you just wrote! Looneyville!!! "...Versus is going to continue to run itself even if the guys running it come from NBC." Huh? Versus is going to cease to exist! It's going to be NBC SPORTS!!!! The website is gone!!! The VERSUS BRAND IS GOING AWAY! How in the hell is that Versus still living???? And even if they move into 30 Rock in New York (Versus "decides". Ha! That's a good one :lol: )? Yeah some former Versus employees will still be around, working for NBC SPORTS, but the Versus channel is TOAST!

Bizarre.... :blink:

Have you taken a page out of baron's playbook for that one?

See here's the problem.. what you're getting at and what you're actually saying are 2 different things. You talk about "Versus" as if it's some higher concept. I'm talking about the physical television network and all that goes along with it. That's going not going anywhere, even if the name and the employees and the guy who writes the paychecks all change. Comcast didn't buy 51% of NBCU to have them come in and take their sports network off the air. Seriously, it is a giant waste of my time to be responding to you right now. It has officially become aggravating to try and dumb this down enough for you. Again.. I'm done.

Have you taken a page out of baron's playbook for that one?

See here's the problem.. what you're getting at and what you're actually saying are 2 different things. You talk about "Versus" as if it's some higher concept. I'm talking about the physical television network and all that goes along with it. That's going not going anywhere, even if the name and the employees and the guy who writes the paychecks all change. Comcast didn't buy 51% of NBCU to have them come in and take their sports network off the air. Seriously, it is a giant waste of my time to be responding to you right now. It has officially become aggravating to try and dumb this down enough for you. Again.. I'm done.

Yeah, I thought you were done the first time. What you can't wrap your head around is that even if some former Versus employees remain, the Versus network is not going to exist anymore. It's going to be the NBC Sports channel. End. Of. Story.

Versus will disappear.

Everyone go and visit http://www.versus.com

Yeah, I thought you were done the first time. What you can't wrap your head around is that even if some former Versus employees remain, the Versus network is not going to exist anymore. It's going to be the NBC Sports channel. End. Of. Story.

Versus will disappear.

Everyone go and visit http://www.versus.com

Is insulting me the only way you can win your argument? I think it is. If "the Versus network is not going to exist anymore" how can it "be the NBC Sports channel." What a paradox! The whole world may unravel that something that doesn't exist continues to be!

Is insulting me the only way you can win your argument? I think it is. If "the Versus network is not going to exist anymore" how can it "be the NBC Sports channel." What a paradox! The whole world may unravel that something that doesn't exist continues to be!

Didn't you say you were done already? Twice now? You are too funny.

Does Northwest Airlines still exist? They merged with Delta. Former NWA pilots and flight attendants are still flying with the merged Airline, under the Delta name. Former NWA aircraft are stilly flying painted in the Delta livery. Does Northwest Airlines still exist? No, it doesn't. Delta absorbed them. Same thing for NBC Sports and the Versus channel.

Why you can't grasp this is a mystery.

Archived