Biathlon

Rain has caused havoc whit the favorites in the women's sprint. With about 10 Biathletes left, it looks like Slovakia will win its first ever Olympic Winter Gold medal, as Anastasia Kuzmina finished 1.5s ahead of Magdanela Neuner. Marie Dorin of France is about to finish third.

Rain gave a big advantage to early starters, because of the rain. Both Kuzmina and Dorin started in the first 20 and Neuner started 31st, despite most of the favorites starting in the middle of the 89 women field.

Olympic Champion: Anastasia Kuzmina, first Slovak Winter Olympic Champion!

1236971361_1b.JPG

Gold: Anastasia Kuzmina (SVK)

Silver: Magdanela Neuner (GER)

Bronze: Marie Dorin (FRA)

Although Silver is a great achievement, I am a bit disappointed. Neuner is my favorite biathlet and I thought one penalty loop would bring her Gold.

I've got to say, I think Neuner would have won had her start order been reversed from Kuzmina's. Still, the pursuit is going to be awesome (21 athletes within one minute).

I've got to say, I think Neuner would have won had her start order been reversed from Kuzmina's. Still, the pursuit is going to be awesome (21 athletes within one minute).

Well, the best ten athletes of the World Cup had the possibility to chose their start group. But Neuner seems to be absolutely happy with her result. Pursuit favors reliable shooters. My money is on the French Ladies. The Swedes and the Russians must be disappointed, expect the Russian that took Gold of course.

Conditions are BRUTAL today. Top 6 so far all started in the first 10. Right now, medals are Vincent Jay (France), Emil Svendsen (Norway) and Jakov Fak (Croatia).

Wow, sun to rain to snow to rain and sun again...

Well, the medals are already pretty much decided. France's first gold of the day, while its going to be the game's first medal for both Croatia and Norway.

the persuit race will be affected by this weather race, too

Indeed, not looking too hot for Bjordalen.

Well, that whats not to love about time trials: weather.

by the way Vincent Jay won the test competition in Whistler last year in March, too

The Canadian finished 6th. This is the best finish by a Canadian male in Biathlon ever. Nice to see there might be a future in Canadian Men's Biathlon.

I have always wondered why Biathlon, Cross Country or Luge/Bobsleigh/Skeleton don't get much attention in Canada...