Bid Library - Now Open!

thatsnotmypuppy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks very much for the first part of the Berlin 2000 bid book, tnmp and jeremie

I just took a first look in this bid book and I have to say that it looks very "antiseptic" - no passion...

Another thing what attracted my attention was that the same font was used, which was used for the official German NOC-report of Munich and Sapporo 1972.

I am really looking forward to the other parts of the Berlin 2000 bid book and I am aching to see the Sydney 2000 bid book...

I just compared the Berlin 2000 bid book with the Leipzig 2012 Application Book - it is very interesting how different they are - the 2000 bid book is very old-fashioned in comparison with the Leipzig Application...

Different times, but yeah, Berlin bid books are very very austere.

The actual venue plan and in fact the whole bid plan is very, very solid - if I remember correctly only the budget was a bit out there.

The presentation is very stark and simple though.

I am a big fan of the Berlin (and Berchtesgaden) logos though!

lg2000b4.gif

lg1992w1.jpg

Very simple - but very clever.

The actual venue plan and in fact the whole bid plan is very, very solid - if I remember correctly only the budget was a bit out there.

The presentation is very stark and simple though.

I am a big fan of the Berlin (and Berchtesgaden) logos though!

lg2000b4.gif

lg1992w1.jpg

Very simple - but very clever.

yeah - I think I remember some of the venue plan - I wonder what will happen if Munich's bid isn't successful - I suppose the pressure on the German NOC will get harder to bid with Berlin again...

I think the logo of Berchtesgaden was used by the West German NOC for some years as logo for its media work after the 1992 failed...

• 3 weeks later...

True - it ios very stark - however I must say it is one of the better bid plans of recent decades. It is a shame the Berlin organisers stuffed up so bad by having their IOC member dossiers leaked to the media.

I covered the 2000 bid cycle for a media outlet here in Australia and while the Berlin bid organisers were nice enough to the IOC members there was a definite sense of aloofness towards everyone else.

Berlin (along with Beijing and Athens for 1996) felt they had the Games owed to them. The big point that was continually force fed to the media was the reunification was the greatest event ever and as such the IOC absolutely HAD to give the Games to Berlin to celebrate this historic event. Beijing was saying the IOC absolutely HAD to give them the Games as 1.3 billion people demanded it. Both had valid points in one context - but on the other hand it seemed ridiculous to think a massive sporting event should be given as a reward (This was a point Cape Town tried to play with for 2004 as well - silly buggers).

As for Sydney - they simply said the athletes deserved a Games in Sydney and not the other way around. Simply genius.

Back to my original point - the actual Game plan while very basically presented was a solid, functional plan. A risk free Games. Sadly for Berlin the IOC also had similar plans from Manchester and Sydney and to a lesser degree Istanbul.

And thank Jeremie for these - he did all the hard yards :)

True - it ios very stark - however I must say it is one of the better bid plans of recent decades. It is a shame the Berlin organisers stuffed up so bad by having their IOC member dossiers leaked to the media.

I covered the 2000 bid cycle for a media outlet here in Australia and while the Berlin bid organisers were nice enough to the IOC members there was a definite sense of aloofness towards everyone else.

Berlin (along with Beijing and Athens for 1996) felt they had the Games owed to them. The big point that was continually force fed to the media was the reunification was the greatest event ever and as such the IOC absolutely HAD to give the Games to Berlin to celebrate this historic event. Beijing was saying the IOC absolutely HAD to give them the Games as 1.3 billion people demanded it. Both had valid points in one context - but on the other hand it seemed ridiculous to think a massive sporting event should be given as a reward (This was a point Cape Town tried to play with for 2004 as well - silly buggers).

As for Sydney - they simply said the athletes deserved a Games in Sydney and not the other way around. Simply genius.

Back to my original point - the actual Game plan while very basically presented was a solid, functional plan. A risk free Games. Sadly for Berlin the IOC also had similar plans from Manchester and Sydney and to a lesser degree Istanbul.

And thank Jeremie for these - he did all the hard yards :)

I am very glad that Sydney got the 2000 Olympics, since the Sydney Games gave something special back to the Olympics - they were a perfect mixture of sport event, celebration, fun and hospitality....

... mhh - I think it was a misinterpretation that 1.3 billion people demanded it - I think most of the people were focused on problems of the reunification (including the Berlin infrastructure) - I am glad that Berlin didn't get them, since I am convinced that they would had come a little bit too "early" - I am sure that Berlin will get another Olympic Games - It will become interesting if Munich's 2018 bid failes....

Yes the venue plan was a very solid functional plan - in my point of view a little bit too "functional" - I miss something zealous!

Thanks very much for all the work, jeremie - it is hard to scan such large books!

I wish. The IOC should already have a resource like this. Lucky The Bid Library and the LA Foundation (AAFLA) are doing the hard work to keep the bid books and official reports online.

By the way if you go onto the 2002 Bid Book page you'll find the Ostersund 2002 bid books ready for download :)

I agree - it is an interesting plan - however I think the co-hosting with Are may prove an issue. Transport between the two cities at present is still a single lane highway. The IOC will demand better road access and also rail. I do not know if the Swedes are prepared to build such costly and potentially damaging infrastructure for a two week sporting event...

Furthermore I wonder about legacy with Ostersund - they do not need huge venues. The future bid committee will need to look very carefully at temporary venues. Accommodation may also prove an issue. It is not a slam dunk by any means.

If I was in Sweden's shoes I would look very seriously at trying to base a Games in Stockholm with the alpine events as close as possible - even if it means upgrading facilities or starting from scratch instead of using Ostersund. The IOC wants big and flashy (which should serve Munich very, very well) - and Ostersund could be overlooked yet again.

I agree - it is an interesting plan - however I think the co-hosting with Are may prove an issue. Transport between the two cities at present is still a single lane highway. The IOC will demand better road access and also rail. I do not know if the Swedes are prepared to build such costly and potentially damaging infrastructure for a two week sporting event...

Furthermore I wonder about legacy with Ostersund - they do not need huge venues. The future bid committee will need to look very carefully at temporary venues. Accommodation may also prove an issue. It is not a slam dunk by any means.

If I was in Sweden's shoes I would look very seriously at trying to base a Games in Stockholm with the alpine events as close as possible - even if it means upgrading facilities or starting from scratch instead of using Ostersund. The IOC wants big and flashy (which should serve Munich very, very well) - and Ostersund could be overlooked yet again.

mhh - you are right the IOC wants big and flashy Olympic Games - therewith I like your idea with Stockholm, but the problem with "Stockholm" is that just around Are the mountain rage is high enough to offer capable drops for the Alpine Skiing events. If the Swedes are not able to built appropriate infrastructure between Are and Östersund than I doubt that they are able to built it between Are and Stockholm (since Östersund is between Are and Stockholm)...

I really cross my fingers for München - it would be great to welcome the world to Olympic Games here in Germany....

Good Job guys, always a please to discover your updates.

This is not an Olympic Bid, but in found a website for one Universiade's bid : Kazan 2013 (Russia)

http://kazan2013.com/index.php?id=questionnaire

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am new to the forums and I have to say, what an awesome website and forum!

I was just curious if there is any other material online in terms of bidding for 1992 besides the Birmingham bid.

Thank you,

Martin

Hi Martin -

I hope to have the Brisbane 1992 application up soon as well as a few of the other city brochures - Barcelona, Belgrade etc - and some of the winter stuff too. I've been pretty busy and just haven't had time to update the site :(

Soon though there will be a ton of new stuff...

Archived