Us Congress Talks Boycott!

While the US Congress has talked of boycotts, an attempt by one of our Euro MPs to instigate a no-show by Britain next summer has, quite rightly, been given short shrift by the BOA.

GB chief rules out 2008 boycott

Don't want to repeat that scenario, when the US boycotted Moscow 1980 and the Russians, in turn, boycotted back via Los Angeles 1984. Besides, isn't Great Britain one of only a handful of nations that has attended EVERY OLYMPIC GAMES since 1896? I know that the Greeks and, believe it or not, the Australians have done so.

Don't want to repeat that scenario, when the US boycotted Moscow 1980 and the Russians, in turn, boycotted back via Los Angeles 1984. Besides, isn't Great Britain one of only a handful of nations that has attended EVERY OLYMPIC GAMES since 1896? I know that the Greeks and, believe it or not, the Australians have done so.

Add France and Switzerland.

Why don't you start your own blog, Lenric? It would seem more appropriate esp with the length of your posts.

Less is more.

Only on these few topics, don't worry~Not going to say anything more again. 13 words (less than your words above).

Any of the countries on the earth all has problems. Not Only China. I can't understand why someone always blame China. We have too many people, the China Gov't HAS DONE THEIR BEST for the country.

I love China forever.

here comes a flag waving propagandist.

No chance that the US boycotts in 2008. NONE. Lessons have been learned from the '80 boycott, which did NOTHING but cheat hundreds of American athletes (and thousands of athletes worldwide) out of something they'd worked their entire lives for. And on top of that, the boycott was a failure, considering how the Soviets didn't leave Afghanistan for another nine years. Also, with the billions of corporate dollars at stake in today's big money world, there's no way Congress or anyone else would pull the rug out from under the USOC. This is nothing more than a handful of blowhard politicians getting an idea in their heads and seeing an opportunity for free publicity.

Does this board have an "edit post" function which I'm not aware of?

I just want to add my opinion on the Games in general: the Games should've never gone to Beijing, and the IOC was absolutely wrong to ignore China's deplorable human rights and health records. At the end of the day, the IOC is comprised of little more than a bunch of prostitutes for whom money and lavish excess are the only things of any importance. Kiss enough ass and promise to break the budget on shiny white elephant venues, and the Games are yours. There isn't a major sports governing body in the world that is driven nearly as much by pure greed.

That being said, I love the Olympics and will support and watch the athletes, regardless of what city or country they compete in. And the Olympics should NOT be a political event or bargaining chip, so politicians should just butt out.

Add France and Switzerland.

Actually Switzerland did boycott the Melbourne Games, but since they took part in the earlier equestrian events in Stockholm, they do count as having participated in every Games.

• 2 weeks later...