time is passing by

ghost1

Have a look at the GamesBids Bid Poll index: where is Salzburg and where are the other candidates? 2014 are the Asian OG´s. To get on top (an not being from Asia) you have to do a lot more than the Asian´s. With the behaviours like Salzburg it may be enough to be on number 3 or 4. That´s not enough.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have a look at the GamesBids Bid Poll index: where is Salzburg and where are the other candidates? 2014 are the Asian OG´s. To get on top (an not being from Asia) you have to do a lot more than the Asian´s. With the behaviours like Salzburg it may be enough to be on number 3 or 4. That´s not enough.

Zenica, with all due respect, I think you're worrying a little over nothing so far. In the coming months, if Salzburg haven't done anything towards the bid, then's the time to get worried. But now, I think at the moment only the very foundations of the bid need to be laid.

Once Salzburg is shortlisted (presuming they are) THEN it's time to up the tempo.

as you say: "presuming they are". I think when it´s time for the shortlist they will be out of the race. 2014 are the Games for Asia. So they have to do a lot more than the Asian candidates to get on top. Have a look at PyoengChang. It is the big favorite and is working a lot of years to get the Games. Also there are a few other candidates like Almaty. Tempo at the end of the race seems not to be enough to get in top.

Sure, Sydney and London won at the final end. But the difference between Peking and Sydney or London and Paris was real small. For 2014 the stage is completely different. Salzburg is an European  bidder in an "Asian" race. That means Salzburg is far behind the Asian candidates. They have to work continuously to stay in the race, if possible, to the end.

Zenica, there is no Asian rotation for the winter games (there is no official "rotation for the summer andf winter games full stop). 2014 is not destined for Asia. About the only thing certain is that it WON'T go to North America. I'm sure Salzburg, Jaca, Sofia and Sochi wouldn't take it too kindly to be told they are just making up the numbers in an Asian race.

And by the way, for 2000 and 2012 Beijing and Paris were considered long favourites to win their bids, just as PyeongChang is the current favourite for 2014. But favourites have a tendency to get overtaken.

Just stop panicking, there are years to go in this bid race yet. I'd be more worried if Salzburg was trying to do things too fast too early.

After Torino 2006 and London 2012, and Vancouver 2010 between, who really is convinced that the Games come to Europe again in 2014? What do the rest of the world think, when everything foes to Europe and all others are out. Nevertheless there will be a chance for the Europeans, if they fulfill several requirements. This is normally not the case.

According to ADAC (important german travel agency etc) "Salzburger Sportwelt" is No. 1 skiing region in Austria. Also 2006 is Mozart´s 250th birthday. Both events will bring Salzburg´s bid for 2014 a big push and some extra points. But Salzburg has to collect a lot more of these points on it´s long way to Guatemala, to get on top position. But both events are excellent prerequisitions for the bid.

P153Vs.JPG

Gernkogelansicht_Werbefoto.jpg

Alpendorf_Flug_Winter_Foto_Oczlon_10x10_cm_CMYK.jpg

Zenica why would it be absolutely necessary to make a continent rotation in the attribution of the games?

I personally think -and the IOC seems to have adopted the same politic which is good- that even if a North-American or European city has organized the last games, if another North-American or European city presents an excellent bid for the following games and is better than the others, it should be given the games. The contrary would be unfair, and should we really give the games to countries that are not even democratic or that dont even have the money to hold them?

Europe is so full of diversity -not as full of diversity as US or Canada in my opinion- but still. Giving the games to a Scandinavian country for instance will give totally different games than if ithey had been given to France or Austria or Eastern Europe. So the continent rotation politic is ridiculous to me.

I'm Franco-Canadian and I cant really tell as for the Canadian members but I think the French members will vote for Salzburg, because they will in the first place think about their athletes; and French winter athletes dont like changes and dont react well when they're performing outside Europe.+European solidarity +many French ppl go skiing in Salzburg every winter.

:;):

One thing's sure : there's not much more Salzburg can do for the moment.

when not having the continental rotation than only cities from North-America and Europe will get the Games. What about Beijing, Cape Town etc? I think this is not what IOC wants. As I heard IOC will give the Games to regions in future, i.e. Eastern Europe, South America, Scandinavia etc. This has to be seen in connection with the financial situation in the countries. Question: is it ok to say no to i.e. Kenya? They also want to host the Games but have a lot of problems. Or have a look at Thailand before Tsunami. It also was a possible candidate. But now? Are they in a position to host the Games? Nice to hear that French people would support Salzburg. But looking at PyoengChang with it´s sponsors Hyundai etc. (it´s the same like Atlanta with CocaCola) how can Salzburg do anything against this economical power? Also they are preparing for the Games since several years. There are several special projects Salzburg can do. But people seems not to realize that they already failed twice. For the athlets in Europe it would be ok to stay here in Europe. Also the costs would be much lower (own sponsors etc).

These are some issues which may have an impact on the decision. In IOC there are about 200 different countries which very different imaginations of Olympic Games. It is the question what is the worth of Winter Games for an IOC member from Africa? He may know what is important for Summer, but that´s all. These are all very important issues, meanings and interests to influence IOC´s decision. The final winner will be, who knows how to handle all these issues in his own interest. But first of all we should not forget the most important: finance and security. What comes after the Games - nobody knows and nobody seems to care about. That´s the tragedy of the Games. A post-olympic period should be set up to compensate. What comes after the Games is mostly a deep frustration.

Regarding Mozart: besides the kitsch these might be a big cultural point for Salzburg. Salzburg is the Mozart-city but also has a rich cultural spectrum, besides Mozart.

Regarding the events in Germany: it doesn´t make sense to spend a huge amount for a bobsleigh venue which could be used only in about 4 to 5 monthes. Konigsee, were the bobsleigh venue is located is nearer to Salzburg as it´s own airport.

Anton Schutti, the CEO of Salzburg´s bid committee, started his job today. Let´s hope we well get more information about Salzburg´s plan now. He told us that he want to bring the Olympic torch to Salzburg for 2014.

sp_schutti.jpg

Regarding Mozart: besides the kitsch these might be a big cultural point for Salzburg. Salzburg is the Mozart-city but also has a rich cultural spectrum, besides Mozart.

Regarding the events in Germany: it doesn´t make sense to spend a huge amount for a bobsleigh venue which could be used only in about 4 to 5 monthes. Konigsee, were the bobsleigh venue is located is nearer to Salzburg as it´s own airport.

Anton Schutti, the CEO of Salzburg´s bid committee, started his job today. Let´s hope we well get more information about Salzburg´s plan now. He told us that he want to bring the Olympic torch to Salzburg for 2014.

sp_schutti.jpg

The point with the airport is not right!! Salzburg Airport is just about 5 km from the city centre, and Schönau am Königssee (bobsleigh) is about 20 km!

But the argument is right, why should Salzburg build a new bobsleigh, if the German one is so near. This should not be the point to make the chances smaller. The nearest Austrian bobsleigh is in Innsbruck Igls - the transit route through Germany would be used to get there!  :wink:

This argument of "why should Salzburg build a track when another one is so near" makes no sense whatsoever. The potential organizing committee would have quite a few difficult hurdles to jump in the way of pleasing the German committees and sharing in the glory. Frankly, it would be EASIER to build a new track then to have to do the Austria-Germany dance.

Why should little tiny Austria even have its own government if Germany is so near?  :wwww:

Sorry, but that´s no comparison. Would it be economic to build a new track 20 km from a worldclass one? Just because of the border, which is only recognized by a little sign "Bundesrepublik Deutschland", if passing. After the Games only one track would be used for World Cups, World Championships, etc. And it would be the Königssee one because of the experience. Your argument would just count, if the German track would be farer away.

But I think it´s a good decision to choose Schönau (the third time after 2006 and 2010) for the bid. Saving the envirement is an important point of the IOC, and that´s Salzburg´s plus with having many venues already finished and used.

And at the region near the border Salzburg-Bavaria working together is already present. Police can work on both sides, at catastrophes like the ice rink collapse both countries work together, why shouldn´t it be possible for sport, too??

Sorry, but that´s no comparison. Would it be economic to build a new track 20 km from a worldclass one? Just because of the border, which is only recognized by a little sign "Bundesrepublik Deutschland", if passing. After the Games only one track would be used for World Cups, World Championships, etc. And it would be the Königssee one because of the experience. Your argument would just count, if the German track would be farer away.

But I think it´s a good decision to choose Schönau (the third time after 2006 and 2010) for the bid. Saving the envirement is an important point of the IOC, and that´s Salzburg´s plus with having many venues already finished and used.

Yes, it might make economic sense, but nevertheless, it is probably the main weakness of what is otherwise a strong Salzburg bid.

I am still very optimistic, that the German authorities wont allow the use of the track in Schönau am Königssee. There will be a new NOC in May and Germany has a new government. So nothing is garenteed.

Who will pay for the improvments in the infra-structure? The German or the Austrian taxpayer?

@rolilau: Has the local acceptance risen in the last months?

Archived