Japanese Decision Looms As Eight Sports Vie For Place At Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games

GBModerator

Eight Olympic-recognized sports made their cases for inclusion in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Friday as they made presentations to the organizing committee. Baseball and Softball, Bowling, Karate, Roller Sports, Sport Climbing, Squash, Surfing and Wushu were included on the short list of cities to present. The bid by the World Baseball and Softball Confederation […]

View the full article

I'd choose roller sports, karate or squash.

Anyway, these sports are only to be included in Tokyo and then dropped again, aren't they? Will they be repeting this process for every Olympics?

I wouldn't mind if they took a book from the Pan American Games and added a sport that suited the host city very well as long as they don't add the unnecessary expense of constructing a venue they won't use after the games.

I wish they would just leave the Olympic sports as they are- maybe drop Modern Pentathlon.

Synchronized swimming has no place in the Olympics either. It's incredibly boring to watch on TV, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had low youth appeal, either. For Tokyo, I would say the two sports (actually three) to be added are baseball/softball and karate, despite bowling, wushu, and roller sports' decent followings in Japan.

Synchronized swimming has no place in the Olympics either. It's incredibly boring to watch on TV, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had low youth appeal, either. For Tokyo, I would say the two sports (actually three) to be added are baseball/softball and karate, despite bowling, wushu, and roller sports' decent followings in Japan.

The Olympics already have judo, taekwondo, fencing, wrestling, and boxing. Do they really need another combat sport?

No, please, not another combat sport. Plus, we already have one that is extremely similar: Taekwondo.

Baseball is a lock, if there has to be two I favor Roller Sports or Bowling. The rest is more of the same: Squash we already have 3 racket sports, Surf and Wushu will only bring more controversial judging and Sport Climbing... lol

Point taken

Sorry for double posting. It stinks that regular users can't edit posts like on most forum sites! In that case, roller sports would be a better choice. Even though it is very popular in Asia, I don't think bowling would fit that well into the Olympics at this stage. I've watched coverage of inline speed skating at the World Games thanks to YouTube, and it looks much more fan-friendly. The crowds were also pretty decent at the last Games, albeit they were in Colombia.

I wouldn't mind if they took a book from the Pan American Games and added a sport that suited the host city very well as long as they don't add the unnecessary expense of constructing a venue they won't use after the games.

Yes, I'm also fine with that. But imagine they added a new sport that turned out to be very successful. Is there any possiblity for that sport to be added to the core sports list or would it need to keep bidding and bidding in order to be added by the host at each Olympics?

Yes, I'm also fine with that. But imagine they added a new sport that turned out to be very successful. Is there any possiblity for that sport to be added to the core sports list or would it need to keep bidding and bidding in order to be added by the host at each Olympics?

As things stand, non-core sports will need to be selected and approved again for each Games. Less clear is when this will occur for future Games - before or after the naming of a host city. It should be reasonable to expect prospective host cities to propose their programs with their bids. More interesting will be how future bids and host deal with the jettisoning of sports or events that they don't want to host - either by leaving them out all together or by hosting them far from the host city. Little has been said as to that part of Agenda 2020 in recent months.

As things stand, non-core sports will need to be selected and approved again for each Games. Less clear is when this will occur for future Games - before or after the naming of a host city. It should be reasonable to expect prospective host cities to propose their programs with their bids. More interesting will be how future bids and host deal with the jettisoning of sports or events that they don't want to host - either by leaving them out all together or by hosting them far from the host city. Little has been said as to that part of Agenda 2020 in recent months.

I would think that if you can host/accommodate the core 20-21 sports, then you would at least be competitive. Where they will separate the chaff from the grain will be what sports DON'T you want to host and what additional sports do you PROPOSE to host in place of those you are rejecting?

Archived