F1 2005

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've heard of this case the blame lies with anyone but the teams!

Michelin buggered up the tyres and advised the teams not to race unless their request for a chicane was granted. The FIA said "no" to a chicane. If the tyre manufacturer gives a team this advice what else can they do if a chicane is refused? Suggestions on a postcard...

If this is the beginning of the end of F1 the FIA can blame no-one but themselves. The teams and their suppliers such as BMW, Mercades, Honda etc. won't be happy with the buck being passed to them and I wouldn't blame them for wanting to create a breakaway formula. The US debacle was clearly caused by Michilin but the FIA's failure to manage the situation and this subsequent buck passing can only damage the sport further.

:help:

This is getting more ridiculous by the minute:

The seven teams that pulled out of the US Grand Prix because of tyre safety concerns have been charged with bringing the sport into disrepute.

Renault, McLaren, Williams, Toyota, Red Bull, Sauber and BAR - have been called to a hearing in Paris on 29 June.

Motorsport's governing body the FIA has charged them on several counts in an identical letter sent to all teams, that it made public on Tuesday.

These range from not having the right equipment to damaging F1's image.

The seven teams were sent identical letters by the FIA's sporting secretary general Pierre de Coninck.

He told the team owners they had "failed to ensure you had a supply of suitable tyres", "wrongly refused to allow your cars to start the race" and "wrongly refused to allow your cars to race subject to a speed restriction in one corner which was safe for such tyres as you had available".

Link

Well done FIA. Really sensible idea. NOT!

Of course it would have been much better had the teams raced and a car ended up in a concrete wall at over 200mph wouldn't it? ???

A question: does anyone have any power over the FIA, or are they completely immune from criticism in this case?

Ha ha.  If the teams have brains, they will simply say "fine - we're pulling our teams from future races."

F1 relies on the private investments of the companies that sponsor the teams.  If that dries up, they're up the creek!

Can you imagine F1 trying to sell future races this year with just six cars?  

F1 is looking pretty amateur.

:angry: What a farce US F1 Indy race was!!!.

Aparently Michellan will be fined the entire expense of that leg of the race.

I would HATE to be the technicians that created the type of tyre for this to happen!!!

I feel sorry for BAR at this moment in time. What a terrible season it has been for them so far!

1 Renault  76  

2 McLaren  63  

3 Ferrari  63  

4 Williams  47  

5 Toyota  47  

6 Red Bull  22  

7 Sauber  12  

8 Jordan  11  

9 Minardi  7  

10 BAR-Honda  0

its not like they can ban the teams, do you want another two 6 car races

i am so pissed off at the FIA and F1 and at the teams that raced.

i can not believe this sh!t, its absolute BS, though i do not see this affecting my view of the actual races, just maybe a view teams and the bosses in general, but then again Bernie said woman's place is in white standing in the kitchen, so i don't have a good view of him in the first place

So the teams are going to be called before the FIA's kangaroo court.

If the buffoons in charge of this game want it to fall apart, they're going the right way about it. Just who does Mosley think he is?

You want a kangaroo court? Here's the latest BBC sports article about the whole US Grand Prix fiasco:

Fans Launch Legal Action Over GP

its nice to see Minardi supporting the seven teams, hopefully Jordan follows suit, maybe the next race it weill just be Micheal and Reubens.

Not to mention according to an American commentor the teams did what their contracts said, you must start the race and race one lap after that you can pull out if the car is damaged or in trouble

But FIA president Max Mosley countered: "The governing body will always win."

In an interview in Monday's Guardian, Mosley dismissed fears of a strike and said: "I'm not concerned if they take an antagonistic line.

"What are they going to do? If they go on strike, they're simply cutting off their nose to spite their face. That won't happen."

He doesn't seem to be the most tactful person. He's asking for a strike isn't he? And I wouldn't blame the teams if they do decide to take on the FIA. It's interesting that Stoddart has become a kind of unofficial spokesman even though his team were not involved in any way. I guess he feels he hasn't anything to lose unlike the Michilen teams who have their hearing on Wednesday.

Michelin has offered to refund the 120,000 spectators who bought tickets for the farcical US Grand Prix.

The tyre company made the offer just hours before Wednesday's disciplinary hearing involving the seven teams that refused to race over safety concerns.

The teams face charges of bringing the sport into disrepute and could be docked constructors' points.

Michelin also offered to buy 20,000 tickets for the 2006 US Grand Prix to be given to this year's fans.

But FIA president Max Mosley countered: "The governing body will always win."

In an interview in Monday's Guardian, Mosley dismissed fears of a strike and said: "I'm not concerned if they take an antagonistic line.

"What are they going to do? If they go on strike, they're simply cutting off their nose to spite their face. That won't happen."

He doesn't seem to be the most tactful person. He's asking for a strike isn't he? And I wouldn't blame the teams if they do decide to take on the FIA. It's interesting that Stoddart has become a kind of unofficial spokesman even though his team were not involved in any way. I guess he feels he hasn't anything to lose unlike the Michilen teams who have their hearing on Wednesday.

Isn't he just? The man is a disgrace. He has to go.

Michelin has offered to refund the 120,000 spectators who bought tickets for the farcical US Grand Prix.

The tyre company made the offer just hours before Wednesday's disciplinary hearing involving the seven teams that refused to race over safety concerns.

The teams face charges of bringing the sport into disrepute and could be docked constructors' points.

Michelin also offered to buy 20,000 tickets for the 2006 US Grand Prix to be given to this year's fans.

That is, if the US Grand Prix is going to be in the calendar next year.

I have a question.

How on earth can the teams have brought F1 into greater disrepute by not racing on tyres which they have been advised are not safe than if they had raced and a driver had been seriously injured or killed?

That is, if the US Grand Prix is going to be in the calendar next year.

The contract runs out after next year's race.

Qualifying for British GP is over with Alonso on pole followed Jenson Button! Should be a good race.

And for the Gauls on here who were unhappy about Red Bull's preview of their beloved Grand Prix that I posted last week, here is an equally unflattering preview of the Anglo-Saxon version:

A weekend at the British Grand Prix is the perfect explanation of why the English are obsessed with the weather. Even in the height of summer it can be unpredictable and it is rumoured that Vivaldi wrote “The Four Seasons” on a day trip to Dover in July. If the weather is fine, then the atmosphere is usually fantastic at Silverstone, with a partisan crowd cheering for our very own DC and that chap Jenson. The fans are now much more civilised than those who invaded the track in the days of Nigel Mansellmania. They thought the design of the “Union Jack” flag was based on the pattern of their shorts, rather than the other way round.

Don’t think you have gate-crashed a Fancy Dress party if you see men walking round wearing tweed hats and smoking pipes, because some people still attend races in England dressed like this. In fact our very own Christian Horner is known to be partial to the odd pair of old brown brogue shoes, corduroy trousers and a tweed jacket that may have belonged to his grandfather. Yes, you are in England, not Britain, because Silverstone is actually about as far away as you can get from Scotland, Wales and the bit of Ireland, which is British. Our own David Coulthard knows all about this, because if he is doing really well, the local commentators refer to him as British, but if he has a bad afternoon, they will be describing him as Scottish.

You will also know you are in England, because getting a decent meal might be a problem. The writer Somerset Maugham said that to eat well in England, you should have breakfast three times a day. If you recognise some of the dishes you are served here it is because England seems to make all the world’s airline food, as well as those lunches you were forced to eat at school. However, the English pride themselves on being the only people in the world who know how to make tea and the rest of the world is happy to go along with this, as all it involves is an ability to boil water.

The unusual thing about motor sport in Britain is that the British are actually quite good at it, with more drivers from these islands having won the F1 world championship than from any other nation. It makes a change from all the other sports which they taught the world when the map was red, only to be thrashed soundly by their pupils from then on. The home of cricket is called Lords, but if England still has a chance of winning after the first day of a 5 day international match, it should be called Lourdes.

One of the highlights of Silverstone is the Grand Prix Ball, when upper class Stowe School is caught throwing open its doors to the F1 riff-raff, who repay the kindness by throwing up everywhere, after gorging themselves on one of the few decent meals to be had all weekend. This orgy of food and drink enjoyed by the masses is seen as an example of how Britain has become a classless society.

Archived