Bid City Sites And Sounds

Thanks, Danny...that is a more sensible suggestion rather than loading many many pics on here.

Barron... sorry to disrupt your life by having photo's posted on here... I actually like this thread, its better than 99% of what you're on here for which is basically the same thread 20 times over with the excact same discussion that really serves no purpose... We are all glad you waste your life on here fighting with others about what you think is right. For those of us that have never been to or seen some of the bid cities I think this thread serves the purpose of an insiders view showing why people are proud of the city they support... and just think of how many other pointless fights you can waste your life behind a computer getting into with people on other threads instead of waiting for the pics here to load...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barron... sorry to disrupt your life by having photo's posted on here... I actually like this thread, its better than 99% of what you're on here for which is basically the same thread 20 times over with the excact same discussion that really serves no purpose... We are all glad you waste your life on here fighting with others about what you think is right. For those of us that have never been to or seen some of the bid cities I think this thread serves the purpose of an insiders view showing why people are proud of the city they support... and just think of how many other pointless fights you can waste your life behind a computer getting into with people on other threads instead of waiting for the pics here to load...

Blah-blah-blah. Fool. ;)

Blah-blah-blah. Fool. ;)

How is he a fool? I agree with him and so do many others. Most of us will never get to see the places in question so to have people post pics which enhance our understanding of the cities is great in my opinion. You know what they say: 'a picture is worth a thousand words'.

Baron, you have posted pics on this forum before so what is the difference?

How is he a fool? I agree with him and so do many others. Most of us will never get to see the places in question so to have people post pics which enhance our understanding of the cities is great in my opinion. You know what they say: 'a picture is worth a thousand words'.

Baron, you have posted pics on this forum before so what is the difference?

I have posted 4 pictures as far as I can recall in all my time here -- in ONE message screen.

And note, I limited it to 4 out of consideration for those with slower, smaller capactiy computers/monitors -- NOT a whole blizzard of pictures which as I said...will not win any votes -- which is the ulterior motive of those posters. <_<

I'm just trying to prevent this forum from becoming another "Skyscraper City" which serves its own purposes and followers. As Danny said, this site is really NOT too friendly for multiple-image hosting.

But hey, if you want to turn/encourage this into another SSC and get the slowest-unfurling threads, then go right ahead...

The Field Museum of Natural History

Nice pictures! I've been on the river tour and to navy pier, and millenium park, chinatown, and lots of other things, and the great thing is that's not even close to half of what is there to see. My dad is from there so we visited a couple times, love that city :) If the olympics is there it'll be spectacular for sure.

I have posted 4 pictures as far as I can recall in all my time here -- in ONE message screen.

And note, I limited it to 4 out of consideration for those with slower, smaller capactiy computers/monitors -- NOT a whole blizzard of pictures which as I said...will not win any votes -- which is the ulterior motive of those posters. <_<

I'm just trying to prevent this forum from becoming another "Skyscraper City" which serves its own purposes and followers. As Danny said, this site is really NOT too friendly for multiple-image hosting.

But hey, if you want to turn/encourage this into another SSC and get the slowest-unfurling threads, then go right ahead...

But this thread specifically asks for pictures. I agree certain posters (mainly the Rio brigade) are trying to promote their cause but it's not done out of malice, rather just because they are proud.

Are the pictures hosted on gamesbids forums?

I never said anything about turning this into skyscrapercity so put the claws away.lol.

If you post pictures, as you do posts, then obviously that is open to comments and reaction -- friendly, neutral or not -- from others.

So, it's just that my reaction is adverse to the DELUGE of photos. How is that any different from others who just take everything handed to them without a complaint?

I am JUST as entitled to my comments as anyone else here. And I still HOLD that this is NOT a travelogue forum but one for disucssion about the pros and cons of cities bidding for the Olympics.

And if I want to enter and view and comments on this thread -- as well as the next person, then I am welcome to it. :P

If you post pictures, as you do posts, then obviously that is open to comments and reaction -- friendly, neutral or not -- from others.

So, it's just that my reaction is adverse to the DELUGE of photos. How is that any different from others who just take everything handed to them without a complaint?

I am JUST as entitled to my comments as anyone else here. And I still HOLD that this is NOT a travelogue forum but one for disucssion about the pros and cons of cities bidding for the Olympics.

And if I want to enter and view and comments on this thread -- as well as the next person, then I am welcome to it. :P

Baron, I agree with what you are saying. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Of course they are. But you cannot become pissed at people who feel you are overreacting to the photos, when you yourself acknowledge that everyone is free to express their views on the topic within reason.

As it stands, photos are allowed so people are justified to post them. Conversely, you are absolutely right to take issue with it if you see fit.

So we've seen Chicago and Rio anyone supporting Madrid or Tokyo? If so please post some pics...the more the better just for Barron. Thanks ;)

I support Madrid. It has the best bid - most venues are built, great climate, rich nation, neutral time zone.

Wow! I would have never thought Madrid and Chicago were so similar, the biggest difference is the beach in Chicago!

I really like Las Cuatro Torres business area in Madrid, it's something different than the rest of landmarks in the city. And what about those people in the skyscraper in Chicago? I could never do that, heights make me dizzy :rolleyes:

BTW, I got a question for the cariocas. Is there any way for reaching the top of the sugar loaf mountain apart from that cable car? Like a road or something like that... I remember the bad time I had in the Eiffel Tower's lift, the main reason why I visited the Rock of Gibraltar by car this summer without using the cable car ^_^

Athan, the cable car is the safest way for reaching the top of the sugar loaf mountain. But you have this other option:

140526327_3cb984de09_b-1.jpg

You have different ways to up to the top of the mountains.

To the Corcovado Mountain (with the Christ Statue) there is a centenary train that crosses the forest:

Corcovado train:

corcovado02.jpg

Corcovado Mountain (710 meters):

718-801.jpg

There are plenty of hiking trails to up to the top of the mountains, too...

Gavea Mountain - by trails (842 meters):

gavea_stone.jpg

pedra_bonita03.jpg

dscn00427.jpg

Bico do Papagaio or Papagaio Mountain - by trails (989 meters):

Bico_do_papagaio.jpg

The Corcovado Mountain, the Gavea Mountain and the Papagaio Mountain, all are in the Tijuca National Park, the second largest forest in the city.

The other forest in the city, the Pedra Branca Park is the largest urban forest in the world.

Ha, ha, ha! Thank you very much, Cauê. So, if I visit Rio de Janeiro in the future (something I hope), I will have to choose between the cable car or climbing :unsure:

The train to the Corcovado mountain is also very interesting.

Archived