Aquatic Centre

Old question - new spin. We have argued over the main stadia so many times - lets discuss AquaticCentres (or Natatorium) - note all photos are how they are today kind of thing...

I only went as far as 1984 because I couldn't be fucked trolling google for more pictures.

Which is your fave?

8767_6020855836.jpg

Beijing

r26881_66619.jpg

Athens

Sydney_Olympic_Park_Aquatic_Centre_2.jpg

Sydney

gt-aquatic-h-hero.jpg

Atlanta

38806-olympic-pool-barcelona-spain.jpg

Barcelona

p182286-Seoul-Seoul_Olympic_Park.jpg

Seoul

swim-image.jpg

mcdonalds-pool.jpg

Los Angeles (sorry **** shot)

I like the water cube but i dont think it was the best. a bit cold at times.maybe it was just the atmosphere but architecture to me is more than just a cube that can light up. The venue in Atlanta and Barcelona have a memorable charm to them.

I like the water cube but i dont think it was the best. a bit cold at times.maybe it was just the atmosphere but architecture to me is more than just a cube that can light up. The venue in Atlanta and Barcelona have a memorable charm to them.

It wasn't just stunning on the outside, it was beautiful on the inside too:

2767024399_67294e1871_b.jpg

2871771366_938b7d0474.jpg

2764978555_05f3189009_b.jpg

2764978665_7b855ff9c1_b.jpg

2863128110_ace04b3e2e_b.jpg

2863145732_9c7631d8e9_b.jpg

2759507646_c90e83a5e1_b.jpg

2430208544_557b15bc38_o.jpg

2839238659_955a9c6165.jpg

Having been in the Watercube a few times the atmosphere depends on where you are sitting. Up the back you may as well have stayed at home and watched it on TV.

Personally some of my best ever Olympic experiences were in the Georgia Tech Aquatic Centre - so Atlanta hands down. The open side meant the venue catches every breeze (a great thing during an Atlanta summer) and the view from the stand was stunning. A simple, but well planned venue.

I am partial to the Sydney AC - having swum there numerous times. Also the Picornell pools in Barcelona rely on tehir location for the wow factor - id it wasnt for that it is an awful cement holw filled with water.

I also like the Montreal pools in the base of the Olympic Tower.

I take back what I said about Los Angeles. Knowing what I know now about Sydney's venue and it's ridiculous "wing" with narrow tunnel vision views (idiocy that London seems to be repeating), I vote Sydney as the worst of the lot. I'll take Los Angeles' completely open air setting at USC using three temporary grandstands any day over that.

Haven't been to any of them, but I'd say -- for a venue where the competition has to be watched very closely, Sydney and Seoul.

As a swimmer, I'd pick the open-air ones. But that's from a recreational POV; not from a competitive one.

For me the watercube is the best as well as Barcelona (for the setting!)

I think Barcelona being a stunner is quite over-rated. Barcelona's Games only came off looking well because of the GREAT camera angles NBC and Manolo Romero's outfit did. Barcelona is essentially a flat city with some nice neighborhoods and a waterfront revived for 1992.

But minus those great angles,

- Rio has it beat in terms of topography...

- Paris trounces it for grandness of buildings and boulevards

- Montreal equals it for a central park in the city on a hill.

So the Barcelona that people saw when Greg Louganis soared from a diving board really does NOT exist -- except for those ephemeral moments of 1992.

Barcelona looked to have the best backdrop for the TV Camera's, especially when the Divers were taking part in competition.

Yes, it is the shots of when the divers were competing that I always remember. However, Diving took place at one venue and Swimming at another. I do believe though that both had the views.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived