China Strikes Back! In Melbourne!

melbourne01ee8.jpg

Well I was walking through the streets of the city centre this afternoon (wearing my Beijing 2008 t shirt no less!) and I noticed a whole bunch of students milling around Federation Square - a major city square/meeting point.

Then I noticed a whole bunch of Chinese flags. And Olympic banners. And fake torches. And a large police presence.

After some speeches the students marched through the city centre shouting "56 Ethnicities, One China" and 'Tibet Is China, China Is Tibet" and "One World, One Dream". I was slightly surprised to see a Chinese response to the recent Tibetan 'riots' here. They were well behaved and many asked to pose for photos with me - the big dumb looking white Aussie with the Beijing Olympic logo shirt!!!

Anyhow - pictures!

melbourne02kv6.jpg

All up the police estimated the crowd at about 15,000.

melbourne03ej6.jpg

There were many anti CNN/BBC/SBS (Aussie multicultural broadcaster) banners and signs.

Actually, I admire Aussies gentleness and livelyhood to protest. I do see that as maturity and civility not hooliganism or other forms of negative innates we see in some European protesters. We from the primitive world(I mean the third world or more or less the developing countries) are watching you on what you are trying to put to us, the so called civility.

Actually, I admire Aussies gentleness and livelyhood to protest. I do see that as maturity and civility not hooliganism or other forms of negative innates we see in some European protesters. We from the primitive world(I mean the third world or more or less the developing countries) are watching you on what you are trying to put to us, the so called civility.

:rolleyes: u r so wordy. :rolleyes:

Perhaps civility only happens when only one group is (predominantly) demonstrating. I would love to see what happens in a full-fledged demonstration war of this magnitude from both sides in Canberra!

And the Chinese do learn pretty fast don't they, considering they probably do not have much experience in organising or participating in street protests back home. ;)

Perhaps civility only happens when only one group is (predominantly) demonstrating. I would love to see what happens in a full-fledged demonstration war of this magnitude from both sides in Canberra!

And the Chinese do learn pretty fast don't they, considering they probably do not have much experience in organising or participating in street protests back home. ;)

Actually, the gov't here in China can put out the word and have several thousand people protesting in front of a foreign Embassy--or other desired location--with an hour's notice. That has many precedents over the last decade. Most of the true grassroots protest happening now in China are in small towns and rural areas out of the spotlight of the media--typically over land confiscation, economic, or environmental issues--most of them also ending very badly for the participants.

Should we call a protest like this descipline? Yes! And, it is not restricted to single group as Huaiwei alluded to in those photos - there are students, workers, even pedestrians.

Actually, the gov't here in China can put out the word and have several thousand people protesting in front of a foreign Embassy--or other desired location--with an hour's notice. That has many precedents over the last decade. Most of the true grassroots protest happening now in China are in small towns and rural areas out of the spotlight of the media--typically over land confiscation, economic, or environmental issues--most of them also ending very badly for the participants.

Oh yeah,look at the situation in San Francisco. I think they had less than 48 hours to react (i.e., following the anti-sentiment that came out in London and Paris). Yet in less than 48 hours, they were able to bus in, as I said, some 20+ busloads of supporters from all over California -- with all the Red China flags, US flags, Olympics signs, etc. All, in probably like 36 hours!! For that alone, I say they deserve these Olympics!!

Should we call a protest like this descipline? Yes! And, it is not restricted to single group as Huaiwei alluded to in those photos - there are students, workers, even pedestrians.

By "single group" I actually meant the "pro-Chinese" group vis-a-vis the "pro-Tibet" group. Not the best word to use perhaps, but I arent certainly talking about demography!