Diving: Meet Tom Daley

WATCH A VIDEO HERE

This boy will be competing for Team GB in Beijing this summer...

Meet Tom Daley

At 5ft 2in, Tom Daley may look up to his rivals physically.

But in terms of sheer ability, British diving's greatest hope can look down from his lofty perch as the current European and British senior men's 10m platform champion.

Daley, born in May 1994, will be just 14 years and 81 days old when the Beijing Games - for which he has qualified - begin.

His Olympic year has already yielded a fistful of gold medals - six at the British Championships in Manchester and another at the Europeans in Eindhoven.

Like Daley's many other medals since he took up the sport, they will hang from his bedroom wall in Plymouth, where he attends Eggbuckland Community College.

His choice of decor does not represent your average 13-year-old's bedroom. The medals sit alongside union jack flags, a picture of the Team GB logo, and a personalised licence plate which reads D11VVE.

Though qualifying for Beijing is a superb achievement, Daley remains focused on 2012.

"My biggest dream would be to get gold in front of a home crowd in London," he told the BBC's Olympic Dreams programme when he was 11.

"Everyone wants to be an Olympian and to get an Olympic gold medal."

Daley, who lives with dad Rob, mum Debbie and two brothers, was introduced to diving by chance at the age of seven.

"I was doing a public session in a swimming pool, saw people diving, and thought I'd like to do that," he said.

"My dad took me down on Saturday mornings and after half a year I got talent spotted out of nowhere."

Three years later, he was the best diver for his age in Britain and, aged 12, he gained special permission to take part in the Youth Olympics Festival, despite the usual minimum age being 15.

Since then, Daley has racked up both junior and senior titles, both as an individual and with synchro partner Blake Aldridge.

Daley's hero and mentor, the extremely accomplished 30-year-old GB diver Leon Taylor, says Tom has not let such early success go to his head.

"He has that something about him," says Taylor. "I'm not even going to try and define it. Let's call it an X-factor.

"There was just a glint in his eye when I talked to him. He's such a nice guy too. Tom's got a good head on his shoulders and I was really impressed by that."

One of the youngster's most treasured possessions is a photo of himself alongside Taylor, posing with the latter's silver medal from the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Daley's other great role model is the cyclist Lance Armstrong, whose book he has read.

Rob Daley, who has given up his job to follow son Tom's exploits, now films every dive at every competition.

Father and son then post the videos on YouTube, where impressed fans have left dozens of encouraging comments.

Daley also lists social networking sites Facebook and Bebo among his pastimes, alongside listening to the likes of Rihanna.

Whether his father will approve of his other ambition - a tattoo of the Olympic rings - remains to be seen.

Daley junior says he may have to wait until London 2012, by which time the decision will be his alone.

Diving: Tom Daley wins gold in 10m Platform

A refreshing reminder amid the politics, I think, of what the Olympics ought to be about. Tell me if I'm getting carried away but I'd imagaine, certainly if he does well in Beijing, he'd be a great choice to light the flame in London (sorry Sir Steve!). It would certainly match London's ambition of inspiring youth.

An incredible talent.

olympic_dreams_416.jpg

Truly an extraordinary young man. I saw a piece with him and his family on the BBC a few months ago and the maturity he showed, for someone so young, was quite remarkable. I keep having to remind myself that he is only 13 years of age but, as much as going to Beijing should be more about experience than anything else, you have to think that he's got a shot at winning a medal. Simply incredible and if there is a better choice for lighting the flame in London (as much as it might well heap the pressure on him a bit), I can't think of one right now.

You know, that lad kind of reminds me of a certain Canadian diver...

Anyway, that Tom Daley is quite extraordinary, 'nuff said.

Truly an extraordinary young man. I saw a piece with him and his family on the BBC a few months ago and the maturity he showed, for someone so young, was quite remarkable. I keep having to remind myself that he is only 13 years of age but, as much as going to Beijing should be more about experience than anything else, you have to think that he's got a shot at winning a medal. Simply incredible and if there is a better choice for lighting the flame in London (as much as it might well heap the pressure on him a bit), I can't think of one right now.

If he was competing on 3m we would, but not on tower at his age, he doesn't have enough power in his legs to push himself off the board to get the height needed for the most difficult drives that the Chinese, Australians and Americans will pull off.

I'm not saying he's a certainty for an Olympic medal in Beijing but having just won the European Championship the other day, who knows what is possible for this kid?

Apparently 'Faster' does, he seems to be the fountain of all knowledge around here.

Apparently 'Faster' does, he seems to be the fountain of all knowledge around here.

No I just remember two other young divers that excelled at competitions outside of the tradition diving countries that took years to develop fully into contenders. The mechanics of a platform dive require strong and developed leg muscles to push the diver into the air to get the height and necessary rotations to achieve the top dives and get the top scores. His European championship performance would have not put him close to the podium at either of the previous two world championships and put him about 60 points behind in 2007, and over 150 points behind in 2005. It would be a huge surprise to see him medal at his age against the top Russians and Chinese who took the top 4 spots at last years worlds.

No I just remember two other young divers that excelled at competitions outside of the tradition diving countries that took years to develop fully into contenders. The mechanics of a platform dive require strong and developed leg muscles to push the diver into the air to get the height and necessary rotations to achieve the top dives and get the top scores. His European championship performance would have not put him close to the podium at either of the previous two world championships and put him about 60 points behind in 2007, and over 150 points behind in 2005. It would be a huge surprise to see him medal at his age against the top Russians and Chinese who took the top 4 spots at last years worlds.

His best shoot will be the 10m Synchronized Platform, where he won a bronze at this year's diving World Cup.

I just arrived home from the Montreal Olympic pool where I passed part of the night with Alexandre Despatie, another prodige when he was very very young. (It was the presentation tonight of the Canadian Synchro National Team, they presented in front of a crowd the new routine they will use for the Olympic Qualification in few days. Alexandre's girlfriend is part of the team)

Yes, concerning Tom Daley, the kid have a very promising future in diving. He participate at the last year Canada Cup in Montreal where I was involved as the marshall of the event. I had the chance to talk few minutes with the trainer of the GB Team. He explain me then that all the focus put on Tom Daley is to win the gold in his country in 2012. Beijing will only be a stage for getting experience.

I don't remember his result last year, I think he made the 10m final (I'm maybe wrong)

I will have the chance to see him perform in few weeks as all the diving circus return in Montreal in the first weekend of may.

I will cheer for Tom (but also a lot for my preferate, Tania Cagnotto from Italy :rolleyes: )

Archived