European Athletics To Be Staged Every Two Years After 2010

Wortked for me as well, but here's the story anyway:

Euro Championships to go biennial

The European Athletics Championships will take place every two years under a new calendar announced on Friday.

Until now, they have been held every four years, most recently in 2006 in Gothenburg. Barcelona is host in 2010.

After that, the championships will go biennial, but organisers have pledged the 2012 competition will not clash with the London Olympics or Euro 2012.

European Athletics director general Christian Milz admitted the new system has "many hurdles to clear".

One is that football's European governing body Uefa has yet to announce the dates of Euro 2012, which will take place in Poland and Ukraine.

Milz said: "The 2012 championships will finish over four weeks before the athletics programme begins at the Olympics and will, ideally, coincide with the US Olympic trials."

He added: "Of course, I can understand that some people are uncomfortable with changes.

"But we are listening to, and considering, all the opinions from our key stakeholders and acting on them to make this a win-win situation for everyone.

"The rationale behind the European Athletics Championships taking place every even year is obvious.

"That is, to create more awareness and visibility for our sport. We have always felt that the numerous benefits from this are clear."

BBC Sports

I always feared that EAA would make such a decision (since athletics is, as I believe, the only Olympic sport that holds its European Championships only every four years -- besides football, of course). I think that this decision is anachronistic: It has already raised a lot of criticism that the Swimming European Championships are currently held in Olympic years, too. Those ECs are simply not the same because many top-class athletes skip them for not disturbing their Olympic preparations. We'll see that once again at the Swimming EC in Eindhoven next March. So I don't know where Mr Milz sees that win-win situation. The sport does definitely not win.

The DLV wants to host the E-Ch in 2012. But i find it totally unfair, because not all disciplines will be on the program. And i doubt, that the best athletes will compete at the E-Ch.

Sorry to be stupid but what is the DLV?

It's the German Athletics Association (Deutscher Leichtathletik-Verband).

Haven't Stuttgart and Munich held this event in recent times? Its funny how this event doesn't seem to be all that popular in Western/Southern Europe in terms of hosting. I know that Newcastle considered a bid in the late 1990s, but it never came to anything.

This event must be relatively cheap to host because all you need is a medium sized stadium (30-40,000) and some student flats for the atheletes village. I'm suprised that Sheffield in the UK has not considered bidding since it has a modern athletics stadium built for the 1991 Universiade. Cities must get relatively good exposure for the expense of hosting it. Do you know which German cities would be interested in hosting...I would have thought leipzig would be a contender considering their recent Olympic bid?

If they're going to hold it every 2 years I doubt they'll be able to get much in the way of sponsorship in Olympic years...especially in Europe in 2012 with the London Olympics attracting all the major corporate sponspors.

Do you know which German cities would be interested in hosting...I would have thought leipzig would be a contender considering their recent Olympic bid?

I don't know anything about the German bid. You have to ask Goethe that question.

But Leipzig will certainly not bid because its biggest stadium, the Zentralstadion (which was also a 2006 World Cup venue), has no running track.

He, he Olympian2004 ;), dont you have the phone number of Cl. Prokop? No, seriously, i am a regular visitor of leichtathletik.de and here are the news:

Leichtathletik-EM 2012 in Deutschland?

Wenn die Leichtathletik-Europameisterschaften künftig im Zwei-Jahres-Rhythmus ausgetragen werden, könnten die ersten „kleinen Meisterschaften“ 2012 in Deutschland stattfinden. Im Jahr von Olympischen Spielen sollen die Europameisterschaften von 47 auf 42 Disziplinen verkürzt werden und an fünf statt acht Wettkampftagen stattfinden. "Wir werden ernsthaft prüfen, ob wir uns bewerben. Doch die EAA muss sich stärker an den wirtschaftlichen Risiken für den Gastgeber beteiligen", sagt Clemens Prokop, Präsident des Deutschen Leichtathletik-Verbandes (DLV).

He, he Olympian2004 ;), dont you have the phone number of Cl. Prokop? No, seriously, i am a regular visitor of leichtathletik.de and here are the news:

Well, maybe one should translate that. Ripley doesn't speak German, as far as I know.

The article says that if the European Championships in Athletics will be staged every two years, the first "small championships" could take place in Germany. Additionally, it says that those small championships will consist of only 42 instead of 47 medal events and take five instead of eight days. Clemens Prokop, president of the German Athletics Association (DLV), says that they are seriously considering a bid but claim that EAA and the championships host share the financial risks of the event.

Have you been to an opticians recently, Baron?

Ripley, Stuttgart hosted in 1986 and Munich in 2002. I agree with you about Sheffield. All they would need is to expand Don Valley to around 40-45,000 and they'd have a real shot. The legacy would be my only concern, though.

Have you been to an opticians recently, Baron?

Ripley, Stuttgart hosted in 1986 and Munich in 2002. I agree with you about Sheffield. All they would need is to expand Don Valley to around 40-45,000 and they'd have a real shot. The legacy would be my only concern, though.

So is the stadium all you need? the rest is road stuff. And exactly what capacity does it need to have...?

I don't know the precise requirements, but I would have thought a 45,000 or so stadium capacity would be sufficient. You don't really want to go too big and not fill it.

Must bel ess than 45.000 since nye ullevi in Gothenborg only has around 43.000 I think. Thats why I asked if there was a precise number...

thanks anyway...

• 2 years later...

A stupid idea - just like the Diamond League which has devalued the whole concept of the Golden League by basically letting anyone host a meeting, rather than including just the 6-8 most prestigious meetings on the calendar.

Anyhow, Zurich has now won the bid to host the 2014 event - they beat, well, nobody actually - they were the only ones interested. If the EAA can't attract bidder in non-Olympic years, surely they're going to struggle even more in Olympic years.

A stupid idea - just like the Diamond League which has devalued the whole concept of the Golden League by basically letting anyone host a meeting, rather than including just the 6-8 most prestigious meetings on the calendar.

Anyhow, Zurich has now won the bid to host the 2014 event - they beat, well, nobody actually - they were the only ones interested. If the EAA can't attract bidder in non-Olympic years, surely they're going to struggle even more in Olympic years.

The Diamond League gives Americans a chance to see Usain Bolt in the United States. The United States is a superstar driven nation in regards to its sports. Look at Tennis. It's top superstar is Roger Federer, A Swiss. Everytime Federer plays in the United States (usually the US Open, but he's also competed in a few smaller events in the United States), he gets a loud reaction from the American crowd. Granted, the crowds also want to see the Williams Sisters and (to a lesser degree) Andy Roddick, but they pay to see Roger Federer. Federer has been featured in commercials for Gillette Razors in the United States.

Bolt doesn't run in the United States all that much, although he did last weekend at the Penn Relays. He's going to run one of the Diamond League Races in New York in July. The more Usain Bolt runs in the United States, the more well known he's going to be in the United States. The IAAF sees the Diamond League as a chance to expose their biggest star in Bolt to one of the largest sports audiences in the world in the United States.

The Diamond League also provides exposure to USA Track and Field, who is trying to repair its image from a decade ago when everyone except Michael Johnson and Maurice Greene was suspended for doping. USA Track and Field has some very talented athletes such as Jeremy Wariner, Tyson Gay, Sanya Richards and Allyson Felix, but none of them have the star power of Usain Bolt. It gives USA Track and Field a chance to have a home-grown American superstar, much like USA Swimming has with Michael Phelps or much like what basketball has with Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

That's the main reason behind the Diamond League. If it works, perhaps one day the United States will host a World Championships in Athletics, which they have never hosted.

Archived