Mascot Launch Live Webcast

Pui from HK

OH MY GOD!

They are horrible! These are the most ugly mascots of all Olympiads. Shame they are even called mascots. That's all I can say at the moment!

:shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:

Despite the cuddly panda... The four other mascots prove once more: Please stop designing mascots for major sports events! The mascots of Athens, Torino, the FIFA World Cups 2002 and 2006 and now of Beijing were/are really a load of cr*p. Who the hell designs that stuff? Freshman art design students?

So the infamous Gang of 5 returns!  :wwww:  I'm I'm absolutely ga-ga over the Bling Bling of these 5!  They're OK OK; too too cute for for words words.  :laugh:  

Nagano had 4 Snowlets; Sydney and Salt Lake had 3 each; now Beijing with 5.  So when India hosts, I guess they'll have 8 or 9?  It seems to grow exponentially.  

OK, so Jing Jing is the Panda; Yin Yin is the Antelopette; and Ni Ni must be the Monkey King, I guess.  

What are Bei Bei and Huan-Huan?

So the infamous Gang of 5 returns!  :wwww:  I'm I'm absolutely ga-ga over the Bling Bling of these 5!  They're OK OK; too too cute for for words words.  :laugh:  

Nagano had 4 Snowlets; Sydney and Salt Lake had 3 each; now Beijing with 5.  So when India hosts, I guess they'll have 8 or 9?  It seems to grow exponentially.  

OK, so Jing Jing is the Panda; Yin Yin is the Antelopette; and Ni Ni must be the Monkey King, I guess.  

What are Bei Bei and Huan-Huan?

According to Pheonix.net, the mascots might even have their own cartoon series!

Hehe, maybe they can have their music album.  Beijing's "Westlife", "5566" or "Blue"?

So Bei Bei is the water fowl - koi maybe?  And Huan is the Dragon?  

The concept's OK; and obviously their animation (and suitability for a TV series) were foremost in their choice.  After all, these are for the children.

Could've been much worse.  I don't want them in my room; but I can live with the choice.

Img211990703.jpg

Personally I like this panda mascot.  The others... eh...  :oops:

You're right. Scrap the four other mascots, take away the green scrub around the panda's head -- and then you have a really cute mascot Olympic visitors will love to bring their children along.

I've just visited the SINA.com forum (one of the biggest in China) to see people's comment. Overall speaking the feedback are very polarized. Seems that the attitude towards these mascots are very polarized. Many said they love the mascots veru much, while many said these are the ugliest mascots they even seen.

Good thing is, as these mascots inculded both Panda and Tibetan antelope, so both Sichuan and Qinghai provinces are fine with the design. Seems that the one lost is Shangdong province, as the Monkey King doesn't inculded.

Major criticism is that "5 is too much". Many people see this arrangement as a compromise to settle down the "mascot war" between different province, esp Qinghai and Sichuan, which may turn to be a sentative political crisis if only one of them are selected.

As Baron said: five mascots is definetly too much.... I like the Panda most -the rest s***s and for me it looks Manga stylish (yes I know, Mangas were invented in Japan, not in China).

Now we have a terrible Logo for Beijing and terrible mascots....

:help:

Well, five are too many, but it's well know that the provinces were all argueing about what animal it should be so five was probably the number the BOCOG would limit it at.

I like them though. They are perfect for a potential T.V. show like was suggested earlyer and the designs are very appealing for children.

The Flame / Dragon one is the best though.

I've cracked the "Da Friendlies Code."  I've uncovered another hidden meaning with the choice of "5" mascots and being called The Friendlies!!  

In 1900, the Boxer Rebellion blew up in China, and the foreign legations in the Imperial City were beseiged for 55(!) days!  (Rent the excellent film 55 DAYS AT PEKING!!)   

Notice that BOCOG did not just name the mascots Ni or Bei or Huan.  Like 5-5, they used the repetitve nicknames for these critters.  Thus, another clue.  

So, in other words, despite the label the Friendlies, the underlying message to the rest of the world is:  Beware you foreign devils!!  55 Days at Beijing can happen again!!  :angry:

And they will probably lay seige to the Olympic Village this time if the hosts don't win enough medals.  

Archived