America's Cup 2013  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Louis Vuitton Challenger Series?

• Artemus Racing, SWE
    • Emirates Team New Zealand, NZL
    • Luna Rossa Challenge 2013, ITA
  2. 2. Who will Defend?

• Oracle Team USA, 'Team Ainslie', USA
    • Oracle Team USA, 'Team Spithall', USA
  3. 3. Who will Win America's Cup 2013?

• Oracle Team USA, USA
    • Artemus Racing, SWE
    • Emirates Team New Zealand, NZL
    • Luna Rossa Challenge 2013, ITA

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where will it be next time? Holding it on the east coast next seems fair. Miami?

I doubt that would happen...the only chance of that is if an east coast YC puts up a challenge to be the defender in the next Cup, and then they still have to win it.

Larry Ellison will make his announcement in three weeks for the next Cup format. I hope the AC 72 stays.

Back here in NZ there is an extreme amount of nationalistic pride surging through the place. More so that we are the only ' other' country that can still mount a successfully unsuccessful challenge.

Don't expect Ben Ainslie to stay with Oracle if he is successful in resurrecting Team GB Challenge.

I would also expect to see the regulars show up in Prada and Artemus as well as Australia returning as they showed promise in the Youth AC...(Rols?)

The future looks very bright all of a sudden.

I doubt that would happen...the only chance of that is if an east coast YC puts up a challenge to be the defender in the next Cup, and then they still have to win it.

Larry Ellison will make his announcement in three weeks for the next Cup format. I hope the AC 72 stays.

Back here in NZ there is an extreme amount of nationalistic pride surging through the place. More so that we are the only ' other' country that can still mount a successfully unsuccessful challenge.

Don't expect Ben Ainslie to stay with Oracle if he is successful in resurrecting Team GB Challenge.

I would also expect to see the regulars show up in Prada and Artemus as well as Australia returning as they showed promise in the Youth AC...(Rols?)

The future looks very bright all of a sudden.

I have been very proud of New Zealands reaction to the loss. There might be a glimmer of hope that we will challenge again! I have my fingers crossed.

Hamilton Island Yacht Club, Queensland, Australia is strongly rumoured to be the Challenger of record for America's Cup 35.

This is the home club of Iain Murray, the race director of this previous edition. Murray has a long association with the Cup, including the infamous oneAustralia challenge of 1995.

And just to think Paul, you nearly gave up on them.

It's been a trip and a thrill....rooster/feather duster/rooster! Soooooo happy I could take the ride close up. Won't forget my first trip the park to see the LV finals, beautiful Luna Rossa beat bad but I was hooked, the multiple MOA's may have been a catalyst, more brilliance from NZ! Then the routing by ETNZ began they were superior and nothing could be done but respect......but something WAS done with focus determination technology talent and never give up spirit. It was OK again to show a few American flags in the venues (something that Is frowned on these days and we American honor the sensitivity). After every loss Mr. Spithill said they could do it and would get it done, and he kept the promise....his team delivered. We Americans love an underdog, and I think that amazing performance by NZ added underdog status to Team USA which allowe everyone to get behind the powerhouse. But every facet of the enterprise conspired at the right time to make it happen, and I'm grateful for that. The city is grateful and we are humbled by the challenge. A great human story played out in 2 weeks, ill never forget it!

Ben-Ainslie-Oracle-Team-U-010.jpg

glug-glug-glug

This is the first time New Zealand has felt good at losing in this event, even more so since 1987. No one's feeling bad but there is a sense of keeping Team NZ together. There is also a revenge factor that is helping, and since there really is no ill will towards the crew of Oracle and Larry Ellison (he sent backhanders to TNZ in the dark days to keep them afloat), prehaps knowing that the foil balancing technology was also available to us kind of leaves a smugness on NZs face. We've got no comeback...we should've used it ourselves.:(

WHY TEAM NZ LOST...

Attended a dinner tonite wherein I happened to sit by somebody who lives in the neighborhood where Team NZ (or most of them) rented a house for the regatta. It turns out, and this guest also said that the story was confirmed by the liquor store of the neighborhood, starting with the night of Race 8, NZ started celebrating prematurely. They got sloshed and drank...so much so that by what would've been race 9 for them and the start of the Oracle victories, Team NZ totally lost focus. And then things snowballed from there. They were distracted; as each Oracle victory gained and thereby their additional loss piled up, they lost self-confidence and were beating themselves up (hiding it very well) so much so that they never got control back of their destiny.

Yup, that olde liquor will do it. Of course, they could always do testimonials for whatever Scotch or whiskey they imbibed on!!

WHY TEAM NZ LOST...

Attended a dinner tonite wherein I happened to sit by somebody who lives in the neighborhood where Team NZ (or most of them) rented a house for the regatta. It turns out, and this guest also said that the story was confirmed by the liquor store of the neighborhood, starting with the night of Race 8, NZ started celebrating prematurely. They got sloshed and drank...so much so that by what would've been race 9 for them and the start of the Oracle victories, Team NZ totally lost focus. And then things snowballed from there. They were distracted; as each Oracle victory gained and thereby their additional loss piled up, they lost self-confidence and were beating themselves up (hiding it very well) so much so that they never got control back of their destiny.

Yup, that olde liquor will do it. Of course, they could always do testimonials for whatever Scotch or whiskey they imbibed on!!

...yeeaaah...If someone else had mentioned this story, I might have believed it, but since you mentioned it Baron - I don't.

However I do believe NZ fans were celebrating prematurely...

WooOOOooo...Baron, you weren't even interested in this event until Oracle were three races away from crossing the line... :P

Yeah, so I got caught up in the later stages...so what? But not enuf to run out there and actually watch it. So where's this law that says one can't get interested late in the game? Sour grapes a bit, Alex? ;)

Yeah, so I got caught up in the later stages...so what? But not enuf to run out there and actually watch it. So where's this law that says one can't get interested late in the game? Sour grapes a bit, Alex? ;)

My only Napa Valley sour grapes is this event was ignored and ridiculed by San Fran until the Cup proper, and even more so when Oracle was down on its luck.

We were lucky in NZ that racing was at 8am in the morning so we went to uwork totally buzzing, even when the tide had turned toward Oracle...So blown away by those amazing yachts. They have to stay. Also there is, for the first time in NZs AC history no ill will towards the winning team, nothing but positives. Even Larry Ellison is trying to work out how to keep Team NZ going as we are the only credible opponent for now.

I would still like to see Italy, Spain, Australia, Sweden and Great Britain join for the next challenge.

Also we should see the return of the ultimate vanquished...Allinghi!

Im sure both Oracle and Team NZ would want piece of them.

What's stopping a GB team? We could bring sailing 'home' to the Solent.

Lack of ££££ and lots of it...The British class system dosent help either...Yachting is seen as a Toffs sport in UK. Not for the lowly masses.

Ben Ainslie has helped lift its profile though.

:( Its sad to hear that the ETNZ Cats will be written off as scrap as there really isn't any use for them outside this event. They cant be sailed by anyone and need a support crew of 20 just to get them into the water everyday...This is where the huge cost of these yachts come in. Like an F1 car, they serve no practical use except research and development, and that's costly anyway.

Had to come to SF last minute for a job tomorrow so I'm here, rode a city bike down to Pier27 AC park.........it's all closed except for the Puma store and AC store, all on clearance nothing left..... :( but there's still a happy exausted buzz hanging in the air, the city did what it was suposed to do, I'm so happy for everyone who was involved and proud of the city. Super nice Sunday in SF.

Archived