PyeongChang - where is that city?

So, in other words, we're going to see an Albertville 2.0, venue-wise. I guess they probably thought a ski jump venue would had limit them more to design the show. It's still a shame since I was looking to see another ceremony in a ski jump venue like in the magic OC/CC's that were Lillehammer.

Well, count Vancouver 2010 as well...with a 25-foot plywood ski jump. (Actually 3 cities already did that: Innsbruck, Lillehammer and "Vancouver.")

I commend PC for ditching that ski-jump setting as well. .

I've always thought it odd that they didn't just go with the name Gangneung 2018, given the full satisfaction of IOC requirement, the fact that (like Vancouver, Turin, et al.) it is home to the bulk of the indoor events as the largest city in the host region, AND its name can't cause any confusion with a certain city located not far away.

Yes because Gangneung 2018 just doesn't sound that great.

True - it sounds a bit like "Gangbang 2018". You don't want that as label for your Olympic Winter Games (even if it's probably true, regarding some athlete apartments in the Olympic Village)! ;)

Again here, the more proper comparison is "Upper Bavaria", a dept/county/what have you of Bavaria.

Upper Bavaria (or "Oberbayern", as it's called in German) is an administrative region (or "Regierungsbezirk") of Bavaria. Bavaria is comprised of seven of those Regierungsbezirke: Upper Bavaria (Oberbayern), Lower Bavaria (Niederbayern), Upper Palatinate (Oberpfalz), Upper Franconia (Oberfranken), Middle Franconia (Mittelfranken), Lower Franconia (Unterfranken) and Swabia (Schwaben). The Regierungsbezirke don't pass any legislation, but make administrative decisions on a regional level for the districts ("Landkreise", or, as one would say in the Anglo-Saxon world, counties) of which the Regierungsbezirk is comprised.

Yes, welcome to the smart-alec thread! ;)

• 3 months later...

You are supposed to do the ceremonies in the host city and it seems having the ceremonies in Gangneung was not in the cards. Always in or in the vicinity of Alpensia. Therefore no Gangneung 2018.

I think Alpensia 2018 would have been fine, but confusing (sounds like it is in the Alps) and Daegwallyeong-myeon 2018 is awful.

If you look at the bid file http://www.pyeongchang2018.org/upload/volume/volume2%2009_Sport%20and%20venues_low.pdf on the maps (page 024-025 ) they sort of cheated about the names of the cities and called the center of the village Daegwallyeong-myeon, " PyeongChang City" although it is tens of miles from Pyeongchang-eup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyeongchang_County

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Park_of_Hoenggye

Wikipedia says

From a formal standpoint, given the Olympic Charter, which stipulates that the Games are awarded to a city,[11] and the administrative organization of Korea, it is unclear whether the host city for the 2018 Games is the county of Pyeongchang or the county seat Pyeongchang-eup.[citation needed]

rumours are circulating that PC is the choice city for Miss World 2016. its been announced but pending confirmation from the Miss World Organisation that Korea has been designated as host of the pageant in 3 years time.

rumours are circulating that PC is the choice city for Miss World 2016. its been announced but pending confirmation from the Miss World Organisation that Korea has been designated as host of the pageant in 3 years time.

It shouldn't be too different from the Miss Universe 1980 which launched Korea's Olympic dreams and Seoul's turn in 1988. I think we will see some Sochi venues at the Miss Universe in Moscow in 2 months' time. Korea will use Miss World to bring some attention to PC. It's worked well for them. It's something that with the exception of Las Vegas, Olympic-wannabe US cities haven't cottoned on to.

It shouldn't be too different from the Miss Universe 1980 which launched Korea's Olympic dreams and Seoul's turn in 1988. I think we will see some Sochi venues at the Miss Universe in Moscow in 2 months' time. Korea will use Miss World to bring some attention to PC. It's worked well for them. It's something that with the exception of Las Vegas, Olympic-wannabe US cities haven't cottoned on to.

i doubt we'll see a mention of sochi during miss universe as the moscow event is privately funded while the 2016 miss world pageant looks like it sponsored by the korea tourism organisation.

Archived