2016 olympic bid

:o

Sports in the middle east is now growing at a phenomenal rate.Qatar is a small country but it is right on track to host the  15th Asian games in its capital, Doha in december this year. With large expertise like Asian games, it can also makea succesful bid to host the 2016 olympics.First time Asian games will be held in Middle East which augurs wellf or sports as a whole.I think, if Qatar makes bid, whoel world must support as it is going to bring peace and more economic development in the continent. Moreover, Qatar also has total Government support. I think IOC must consider this symathetically and also the other nations.

regards

arvind katyal

arvindkatyal@gmail.com

No one gets special treatment.  It must perform and measure up in order to win the bid.  But I think the Middle East is decades from hosting an Olympic Games because they don't have the sporting culture firmly entrenched in their societies and there are still issues with security and women's rights.  Plus, I think Dubai is probably their best shot.

Dear

You are right that one must come upto expectations. But it is for your inmformation that Qatar has in the past  one year hosted many international tournaments,like International Triathlon meet,ATP tennis,WTA tennis, Golf meet, Asian Sailing and West Asian Games so far. It has a world class sports academy named Aspire.

It has the capability and is qualified to host any mega event. How can one visualise without going through the exact nature of sporty atmosphere. Dubai has not hosted any major events like Asian Games which will be held in December this year in Doha. These games will have the participation of more than 10500 athletes from 45 nations and in 39 disciplines. It is next biggest to summer Olympics.

Even the current President of the  IOC who made a visit to Doha last year was impressed with the sports infrastructure in Doha. All this justify the impression that Qatar must be given the opportunity to host the  2016 Summer Olympics which will give a boost not only to Qatar but to whole of Middle East as a whole.

Dear

You are right that one must come upto expectations. But it is for your inmformation that Qatar has in the past  one year hosted many international tournaments,like International Triathlon meet,ATP tennis,WTA tennis, Golf meet, Asian Sailing and West Asian Games so far. It has a world class sports academy named Aspire.

It has the capability and is qualified to host any mega event. How can one visualise without going through the exact nature of sporty atmosphere. Dubai has not hosted any major events like Asian Games which will be held in December this year in Doha. These games will have the participation of more than 10500 athletes from 45 nations and in 39 disciplines. It is next biggest to summer Olympics.

Even the current President of the  IOC who made a visit to Doha last year was impressed with the sports infrastructure in Doha. All this justify the impression that Qatar must be given the opportunity to host the  2016 Summer Olympics which will give a boost not only to Qatar but to whole of Middle East as a whole.

Uh-huh.  Dream on.

Welcome to GB to start with.  I think Doha's problem will be one we see a lot with Olympic Bids.  Many cities host a medium sized event - Commonwealth Games, World Athletics Champs, Asian Games etc and then proceed to place an Olympic bid - assuming the jump from medium sized event to huge event is that simple.  Recently we have seen this happen with Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok in 2008.  It doesn't tend to work.

Basically the IOC likes to see you have the experience, but especially lately your cities international standing is far more important.  Look at the recent and future hosts - Sydeny, Athens, Beijing and London.  They are globally reknown cities (or in Athens case the home of the Olympics).  Doha does not even come close to this level of global awareness.  Arguably Baghdad, Tehran, Mecca, Jerusalem and Dubai are the only widely known middle eastern centres.  Perhaps Beirut as well.

Even the non winning finalists are huge centres - Manchester, Paris, Moscow, NYC, Istanbul, Rome, Madrid, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Stockholm…  The IOC is making a move towards huge cities hosting as the Games are a massive undertaking.  Regardless of how well the 2006 Games go, Doha is still a small fish.

2016 looks set to have a major US city, Tokyo, an Italian city (Rome?), Madrid and possibly Rio, Istanbul and maybe Dubai.  I just don't think Doha will really be able to stand up against that competition.

Best venues and greatest experience rarely wins a city the Olympics.

Sad but true.

We know Doha does host big events, but I don't see that it has a realistic chance of hosting the Olympics in the near future for one main reason.

We're currently in an era, as TNMP said, of world-famous cities hosting the Games. Doha isn't really on that level yet and they may well have to wait until that era passes before they get their chance.

It is true that till now, Olympics have been confined to big cities only.But  the IOc charter does not say, no other city or country can make a bid. It is the question of making sports a  global instrument  and that is why  if we are keen to promote sports at grassroot level, then  one must accord chance  to small city if that shows its capability to hold this biggest sports extravaganza on earth. The continent as a whole will grow, not only a particular country.

Don't misunderstand the IOC's attentions - the charter also says a Winter Olympics can be split between two countries - but no bid with that plan has been successful.  Any city an bid - no one will stop you - as long as you are prepeared to spend the money - but history shows the IOC wants big cities at the moment.

The last really small city Games would be arguably Munich, Montreal or even Helsinki.  Since then it has been cities with huge populations and huge amounts of $$$.  I don't doubt for a second Qatar could hist a great Games - but I will be honest and say I dont think the IOC will be interested.

With the talk about Dubai, the thought of Doha hosting a summer games actually did cross my mind.  My father just returned from Doha on a business trip and had some nice comments about the city.  Here's my two cents worth on Doha.  

Technically, Qatar could put together and successfully host an Olympics.  They've got the infrastructure including a good transportation system.  The county also has $$$, lots of it.  The only logistic problem I see would be for the soccer competition.  Qatar doesn't have enough stadiums for the prelims.  Any bid would probably have to include stadiums in Bahrain, UAE, and possibly Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.  

Then's there trend for the IOC to select the large metropolises like London and Beijing.  That subject has beaten to death so I won't add to that.

About Doha hosting the 2010 Asian Games.  True, as another poster mentioned, hosting smaller events like the Commonwealth Games or the Asian Games means a city is automatically qualified to host the Olympics.  The reasons are obvious.  However, on the plus, side hosting the Asian Games doesn't hurt either.  Some experience is better than none.

Last, I will say the biggest issue is the same one that has held back Istanbul several times and would back any bid by Dubai, Doha, or Cairo - the Middle East is unstable.  Any one of those cities is simply to close to the lion's den and the prospects of a terrorist attack are higher no matter how tight the security.  I've even heard the argument that if the terrorist attacks on NYC and Washington had occurred prior to the election for the 2004 Games that the IOC would not have selected Athens.  Sure, the events of Munich are decades old now but the IOC does not want anything like that to happen again.  Until there is peace in the Middle East no city in that region will ever be given the opportunity to host a summer Olympics IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Doha is getting ready to host the 2006 Asian Games this December. People from more than 60 nations are working  with Doha Asian Games Organising Committee to make it a huge success. Qatar has money and also cordial relations with whole of world. It has excellent relations with all GCC countries and  there is no doubt that 2006 Asian Games having participation of 45 nations in 39 sport disciplines will be a success.   Time has come to allot Summer Olympics to such nation which has the potential to go ahead in sports. After all, it is sport which brings and foster peace and when the current IOC President visited Doha in 2005, he was impressed with the dedication and the capability of the  Qatar Government in developing its sports culture.

Seeing is believing and one  must not come to any conclusion sitting at remote place.

Don't misunderstand the IOC's attentions - the charter also says a Winter Olympics can be split between two countries - but no bid with that plan has been successful.  Any city an bid - no one will stop you - as long as you are prepeared to spend the money - but history shows the IOC wants big cities at the moment.

The last really small city Games would be arguably Munich, Montreal or even Helsinki.  Since then it has been cities with huge populations and huge amounts of $$$.  I don't doubt for a second Qatar could hist a great Games - but I will be honest and say I dont think the IOC will be interested.

I agree with you, but then again Montreal, Munich and Helsenki are all far from being small city. Sumer Olympics have ALWAYS been awarded to big fishes, alway.

To maintain that analogy, Doha is a growing fish, not big enough for the Olympics yet, but don't rule them out in the future.

I'm not convinced the stablility argument stands up, though. Barcelona hosted a wonderful Games even though the Basque fundamentalists were still very much active in their campaign of terrorism. The IRA bombed Manchester during Euro 96 and yet the city and the tournament continued unaffected.

Sport is a means of showing the terrorists that they do not intimidate us. Picking Doha or Dubai or another city in that region would prove that point, but, as has been said already, they will probably have to wait their turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Qatar is one of the  wealthiest nation in the world.Today it is  the most emerging economic and sports hub.  Many international sports events are now being held here.  Only this month  end the International Sports Press Association(AIPS) will hold its conference and that will further showcase the hidden talent which this country possess in hosting any major games like Olympics. The 2006 Asian Games will also be one of the biggest with participation of 45 nations in 39 disciplines.

arvind

Archived