Gm Place As An Olympic Venue Versus Other Arenas; How Does Ours Compare In Quality?

How do you think GM Place as a facility compares in quality with other arenas around North America as a venue for 2010? It will be hosting Olympic Hockey.

I'm watching the Democratic Convention from Denver and the Pepsi Center looks so much nicer than GM Place. I walked around the Pepsi Center in Denver when I was there and it is so much more impressive a building in regards to the exterior architecture.

GM Place looks like a garage squeezed in between the two viaducts. I really am not all that impressed with GM Place.

Maybe it's because I see it so many times while passing by on the SkyTrain, but GM Place looks to me kinda dull and ugly.

I really can't say GM Place is as world class an arena for the Olympics as some other arenas in the States, such as American Airlines Arena in Dallas, Portland's Rose Garden and others.

GM Place just has this blandless and staleness to it. I'm not sure if it's the colour of the seats. It just lacks character and vibrancy.

It's just kinda dead and depressing in there. Even for concerts, it's got this whoopi do about it.

I feel the seats should have been angled steeper such as the Rose Garden in Portland. Difference being the Rose Garden was built primarily for basketball (the Trailblazers) and the smaller footprint allows for steeper angled seating.

GM Place was built primarily for hockey and with the ice having a larger playing surface than a basketball court, this resulted in a more spread out footprint.

But I still think the seating angle could be more steep so it gives the fans more of an impression of being "on top of the action".

The Rose Garden's outside look is also much more impressive than GM Place with their outdoor plaza. Even Calgary's Saddledome is a step up from GM Place and is about 10 years older too!

Not to mention the Staples Center in L.A.

Do you think GM Place represents world class architecture, something visitors to Vancouver in 2010 will be blown away by? I certainly don't.

GM Place is nothing to write home to Mom about, sadly.

What are you crying about now?

Why in the world would you be comparing GM Place with North American arenas? That's a pointless comparison.

The comparison should be GM Place and previous primary Olympic ice hockey venues, and if you do some actual research you'll know that GM Place is by far the largest ice hockey facility in history for the Olympics AND the nicest. Compared to the venues in Salt Lake and Torino, GM Place outshines them all.

As for the location between the viaduct, that's all about using your space in the most efficient way....it's a good location.

GM Place was built 12 years ago, if you're suggesting that we should knock it down to build "world class architecture" then take a hike.

Really, nobody gives a damn except you do.....GM Place has always been seen as the best indoor venue for 2010 and one of the best for the Winter Games.

842655420_23c6662f4a_o.jpg

1770929853_f86be04f3f_b.jpg

387213759_8877e3e492.jpg

The best hockey score/videoboard in Olympic history:

GM_Place_Canucks_4_Overtimes.jpg

1) Who cares? It's not like a new arena will be built.

2) VANOC is paying $18 million to rent the facility, and most of that money is being directly filtered into facility improvements. What specifically that money paid for versus what was Aquilini money I'm not sure, but it's getting us a new sound system, new boards, renovated suites/partially renovated concourses, renovated retail space and renovated dressing rooms. The Canucks Team Store has undergone a complete facelift over the past two seasons. I believe the scoreboard was an investment pre-rental agreement so I don't believe that is covered by VANOC scratch.

3) In a somewhat ironic twist, the Aquilinis, previously renowned for being slum lords, have actually done a lot to improve the facility since taking full ownership. John McCaw was an absentee owner and one could see that reflected in the building. Upkeep was minimal, and the concourses had the same crappy purple colour scheme they had since 1995. This is slowly changing under Aquilini's ownership

4) Why are we fretting about this, and not the Pacific Coliseum?

5) See number 1.

Oh, it is still GM Place. It will only be Whatever Place for a few weeks in 2010.

But it is as good a facility as any of those mentioned and is as good as any that previously played host to Olympic hockey. Many of those American facilities named are also newer. It may not be as architecturally impressive as American Airlines Arena in Miami or the Water Cube, but it is still a quality venue. And best of all, it is Games ready!

Is there a difference in area of ice used for Ice Hockey compared to figure skating?

From the photos, there seems to be little or no room around the ice for judges or officials. I presume a few rows of seats will be lost to compensate for this? Or does Figure Skating require less ice space?

As for it not looking impressive, isn't this the arena that hosted the World Figure Skating Championships in 2001? If so, the arena looked pretty good to me. Was it also the venue for the Vancouver 2010 decision? If so, again the arena looked very impressive to me, as did the celebrations.

One thing that does strike me from the photos however. What are all of those towers being constructed around it? Residential?

Is there a difference in area of ice used for Ice Hockey compared to figure skating?

From the photos, there seems to be little or no room around the ice for judges or officials. I presume a few rows of seats will be lost to compensate for this? Or does Figure Skating require less ice space?

As for it not looking impressive, isn't this the arena that hosted the World Figure Skating Championships in 2001? If so, the arena looked pretty good to me. Was it also the venue for the Vancouver 2010 decision? If so, again the arena looked very impressive to me, as did the celebrations.

One thing that does strike me from the photos however. What are all of those towers being constructed around it? Residential?

Figure skating is at the Pacific Coliseum, a different venue, and will be on international ice. Most of the seating in the first few rows there is removable, whereas GM Place was built specifically for NHL sized ice. Olympic hockey will be played on NHL sized ice in 2010.

The towers are residential, and have a Costco underneath. That development is now complete. It may not be very inspiring architecture, but it sure beats the parking lot/hillside that were there previous.

Yes, GM Place has hosted the 2001 World Figure Skating championships, the Decision 2010 event in 2003, is home of the Vancouver Canucks and former home of the NBA Grizzlies, as well as many other events and concerts. It was opened in 1995.

Would you prefer it was sandwiched between a few blocks of parking like most other North American arena/stadiums? GM Place is one of the best around. It has an amazing location smack in downtown, expertly designed and state-of-the-art. I can't think of a better use for that space between the viaducts anyways. Perfect location. Just because we didn't evict a few hundred people so we could have a nice big Olympic Green doesn't mean it's a bad location :blink:

Would you prefer it was sandwiched between a few blocks of parking like most other North American arena/stadiums? GM Place is one of the best around. It has an amazing location smack in downtown, expertly designed and state-of-the-art. I can't think of a better use for that space between the viaducts anyways. Perfect location. Just because we didn't evict a few hundred people so we could have a nice big Olympic Green doesn't mean it's a bad location :blink:

Also a huge advantage with GM place is that anyone not familiar with Vancouver attending the Opening ceremonies and the Hockey games will have a very basic education of what Skytrain station to get off at for Hockey games later on . Stadium-Chinatown station servers both BC Place and GM Place.

Jim Jones