England 2018

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Times - 8.5.2006

Chancellor backs England for World Cup

By Steven Downes

Gordon Brown, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, today gave renewed backing to England’s bid to stage the World Cup in 2018, and "bring football back home", as he tipped David Beckham to lift the trophy in Berlin in July.

Writing in Goldman Sachs’ economic report on the World Cup, published on the day that Sven Goran Eriksson, the England team coach, named his provisional squad for the tournament in Germany, Mr Brown said, "I believe this is England’s best chance to win a major tournament since Euro ’96."

Mr Brown is a genuine football fan, having been to three previous World Cups, including watching Scotland from the terraces in 1982.

"After suffering at the hand of Maradona in 1986, and falling to cruel penalty shoot-out defeats in 1990 and 1998, surely England are due a change of luck this time?" he wrote.

"If they get it, I believe David Beckham can lift the World Cup this summer."

As a prime minister-in-waiting, Mr Brown also turned his attention to a competition England might have a better change of winning – for the rights to stage the tournament in 2018. The United Kingdom has only ever staged the tournament, run by Fifa, the football world body, once, in England in 1966, when the hosts won at Wembley.

"Never has interest in football been higher, never the quality of the game greater, and never the excitement of a World Cup more intense," Mr Brown wrote.

"I believe that intense excitement will grow in this country if England is able to mount a bid for World Cup 2018. To follow the London Olympics in 2012 with the World Cup six years later would be a magnificent achievement for our country. It would emphasise just how much of a sporting nation we are.

"And I am determined to play whatever part I can in making it possible. Wherever I go in the world over the next few years, I will be on a mission to persuade other countries that it is time for the World Cup to come here in 2018.

"We supported Nelson Mandela in taking the World Cup to Africa in 2010, and on my recent visits to Mozambique and other African countries, I asked them to back our bid.

"In future years, we will support our friends abroad in taking the tournament to Australasia, and back to Asia and the Americas. But in 2018, it will have been more than 50 years since this country - which gave football to the world - has had the chance to host the world’s greatest tournament. So we will ask others to support us in bringing football back home.

"It is because of the power and importance of football that we are investing a record amount in grassroots football, with money going to organisations such as the Football Foundation and Supporters’ Direct.

"And with the launch of the new National Sports Foundation in April 2006, backed with nearly £35 million of public money over the next two years, we aim to work in partnership with football, the private sector and other sports to improve participation, coaching and facilities for all those who take part in sport, young and old, across the country."

• 1 month later...

Whoever has made that site doesn't know the rule about a maximum of two stadia in one city. It doesn't look like Rob's previous one at all.

Anyway, I think we need at least 12 stadia and I would go for these which already meet requirements:

London - Wembley and Ashburton Grove

Manchester - Old Trafford and the City of Manchester Stadium

Birmingham - Villa Park

Liverpool - New Anfield

Newcastle - St James Park

Sunderland - Stadium of Light

Plus these that would require redevelopment work

Reading - Madejski Stadium (currently holds 24,000, but plans in place to increase capacity to 40,000 dependant on Premiership status)

Sheffield - either Hillsborough (holds almost 40,000 at present) or Bramall Lane (currently holds around 32,000 and plans to increase capacity to 44,000)

Leeds - Elland Road (holds over 40,000 at the moment but has seen better days). Would need a facelift.

Then either Southampton - St Mary's Stadium (currently holds 32,000) or Bristol (either Ashton Gate which is planned for redevelopment or a new stadium).

Whoever has made that site doesn't know the rule about a maximum of two stadia in one city. It doesn't look like Rob's previous one at all.

Anyway, I think we need at least 12 stadia and I would go for these which already meet requirements:

Birmingham - Villa Park

Liverpool - New Anfield

Reading - Madejski Stadium (currently holds 24,000, but plans in place to increase capacity to 40,000 dependant on Premiership status)

Sheffield - either Hillsborough (holds almost 40,000 at present) or Bramall Lane (currently holds around 32,000 and plans to increase capacity to 44,000)

Leeds - Elland Road (holds over 40,000 at the moment but has seen better days). Would need a facelift.

Then either Southampton - St Mary's Stadium (currently holds 32,000) or Bristol (either Ashton Gate which is planned for redevelopment or a new stadium).

How bout Goodison Park or the London Olympic Stadium

Birmingham - Villa Park

Liverpool - New Anfield

Reading and Sheffield are good possible additions. Also, as you can see, I've included St Mary's in my plan. Whether an upgrade to the minimum 40,000 for such a new stadium would be feasible, I don't know.

Arwebb, I did get your PM a while ago and was meaning to reply but forgot. Any suggestions you have RE: venues etc are more than welcome. You probably know more than me about these things, so I welcome your ideas!

:)

No problem, Rob. If and when I think of things, I'll let you know. One thing is for sure - Elland Road has seen better days and needs a serious facelift. A few years ago, during the Ridsdale era, there were plans for a new stadium, but I think they may have fallen through now.

Some other options that I've thought of, some more likely than others.

Ewood Park, Blackburn - Current capacity of just over 31,000, but were plans to redevelop one of the stands to increase capacity to 40,000. But they don't fill their ground now, so it would look even worse if they did go for it without more people coming through the gates.

Brunton Park, Carlisle - Current capacity of just over 16,500 and they are increasing it. Nowhere near being the standard of stadium needed for a World Cup at the moment, but the club does has massive potential and if they continue their rise through the leagues, they'll soon need a far better ground.

KC Stadium, Hull - Current capacity of around 25,000 and plans in place to increase to around 34,000 as and when needed. Like Carlisle, Hull are a club with huge potential and they could easily need a bigger stadium even than that if they achieve the ambitions their chairman has.

Walkers Stadium, Leicester - Current capacity of 32,500 and built in a way that another tier can be put on one of the stands to increase to around 40,000. But, it probably won't happen, if at all, until Leicester get back to, and stay for a lengthy spell in, the Premiership.

New sradium, Milton Keynes - MK Dons currently play at the National Hockey Stadium, but work has started on a new, permanent 30,000 seater ground. It would be a hugely controversial choice, given the way professional football arrived in Milton Keynes, but, if they reach the higher leagues and need to expand further, why not?

City Ground, Nottingham - Wonderful, traditional ground with a current capacity of just over 30,000. Plans to increase capacity to 40,000 are dependent on them getting back to the Premiership and gaining the site's freehold from the city council.

Fratton Park, Portsmouth - Current capacity of just over 20,000 and ambitious plans to turn it into a 35,000 capacity stadium, with work supposed to start this summer. Portsmouth v Southampton to be the south coast's host city, perhaps?

Molineux, Wolverhampton - Current capacity of 29,400 and plans in place to increase to 40 to 43,000 if Wolves get back to the Premiership.

I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of.

Bristol, I think, would be more of an option, assuming that one or both of their clubs actually begin to move up the leagues any time soon and would have need for a stadium of the size that World Cup matches require. Both clubs have plans to redevelop their current grounds, so I doubt a new stadium would really be feasible at this stage, but if an England bid is formally launched, perhaps it is something that will be looked at.

• 2 weeks later...
The correspondents I've heard certainly seem to think this tournament will trigger momentum towards an England bid for 2018. Here's hoping it will come home again.

It ill certainly help our cause as to how our fans went down. To me it is certainly no conincidence that less problems have a) come from proper policing like we have always complained about and B) a realisation that, despite a minority, not all fans are ridiculous thugs and are actually there for fun!

Qeel done the English fans..

My only questions is, and I am confident that they will answer it, but what do we do about the idiots we stop from travelling abroad if a tournament was at home?

The correspondents I've heard certainly seem to think this tournament will trigger momentum towards an England bid for 2018. Here's hoping it will come home again.

The World Cup was invented in France by a Frenchman. That's where it goes home.

It ill certainly help our cause as to how our fans went down. To me it is certainly no conincidence that less problems have a) come from proper policing like we have always complained about and B) a realisation that, despite a minority, not all fans are ridiculous thugs and are actually there for fun!

Qeel done the English fans..

My only questions is, and I am confident that they will answer it, but what do we do about the idiots we stop from travelling abroad if a tournament was at home?

I was only 14 back then, but if I remember correctly, Euro '96 went by without trouble. Granted, there were half empty grounds for most group games though.

I was only 14 back then, but if I remember correctly, Euro '96 went by without trouble. Granted, there were half empty grounds for most group games though.

It did, but half empty grounds? Are you sure?

Anyway, I've just seen an interesting piece in today's Scotsman on Sunday about Tory MPs calling for Scotland to join England and create a "British bid".

Scotland urged to join English 2018 World Cup bid

I think there are three things to say about this. First, if an England-Scotland joint bid is supposed to be a British bid, what about Wales and Northern Ireland? Do they not exist?

Second, if we want a fully UK bid, let's do one and not faff around. Third, England will have enough stadia on their own to host 2018 and will have a better chance that way. This idea is a non-starter.

I would prefer to see Scotland looking towards a European Championship.

It appears that some concrete proposals for expansion of the Madejski Stadium in Reading may be made sooner rather than later, assuming they retain Premiership status.

'Reading chairman needs new backers'

Together with the new railway station, it all looks very positive. Another 3 or 4,000 seats and it can be a World Cup stadium.

Archived