Well, I saw an article of the US confirming a 2026 WC Bid, so I decided to research and stumbled across this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/how-fifa-escaped-nazis-8-3771652

To be honest, I was not surprised at all to see Nazi Germany on there but I also saw Soviet Union and was thinking 'How the heck did they lose?' Anyone got info on this?

Well the article pretty much said what is more likely the truth. Them boycotting the 1984 Olympics, as well as other countries boycotting the 1980 Olympics, negatively affected a USSR world cup bid. FIFA probably did not want to get involved on those types of politics and risk big-name countries like the US and England going for a boycott for a 1990 WC in USSR.

Had they hosted in 1990 it would have been a disaster, not because of a boycott (which at this point most likely would not have happened), but because it would have been held around the same time that the USSR collapsed.

Like people have said here, the vote taking place at a really bad moment in 1984 was probably decisive. Italy had already hosted once before but I'm not sure how USSR would have fared even without those boycotts though. FIFA never seemed passionate about communist countries and the Soviet Union suffered some really bad refereeing decisions against it in the World Cup history. UEFA wasn't keen to look for the Eastern Bloc nations if you look at their choices for European club competitions' finals. The USSR was of course by 1990 trembling so it might be better that they didn't have a hosting burden added to all their problems.

Archived