Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

9 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Strictly speaking it should be more like:

- but still, well spotted; I'm sure those views weren't on Google Earth this time last week!

It's also interesting to check out the main Olympic Park, where, for example, the vast majority of spectators are clearly using public transport, in line with Rio's environmental message.

Athens 2004

VUKzvwL.jpg

Torino 2006

NijHbiR.jpg

Beijing 2008

J9d9kYG.jpg

London 2012

zhOo3RL.jpg

Kazan 2013

qNUA9gs.jpg

Baku 2015

CLXtAn1.jpg

Doha 2006 

nDwm7zx.jpg

Singapore 2010

6w6DwtZ.jpg

Guangzhou 2010

ppZ7LT7.jpg

Nanjing 2014

Z3br31F.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this has been mentioned before; the Media Guides for the Rio ceremonies are now online from the Olympic library. Here's the English-text Olympic Opening Ceremony guide:

https://library.olympic.org/pro/Default/Ils/digitalCollection/DigitalCollectionAttachmentDownloadHandler.ashx?documentId=166150

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Was just reviewing some photos from the SSC pages on the Rio Closing, and mon Dieu!,  have never seen so MANY Category A seats empty (and I don't mean the seats reserved for the athletes).  Did Rio 2016 overprice the "A" seats so that so many were empty?  (I know the section on the right seems to be a Press Section, but even that, why is it so blatantly unfilled?  

aneis_src.jpg

13 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Was just reviewing some photos from the SSC pages on the Rio Closing, and mon Dieu!,  have never seen so MANY Category A seats empty (and I don't mean the seats reserved for the athletes).  Did Rio 2016 overprice the "A" seats so that so many were empty?  (I know the section on the right seems to be a Press Section, but even that, why is it so blatantly unfilled? 

One factor which was apparent on the night, but perhaps not so obvious on TV as in real life, was the weather. Here's a quote from a BBC liveblog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/olympics/36773435

I'm hearing word that there is currently a monster storm raging in Rio. Can they still have the closing ceremony in bad weather? Or would they quietly hand the flag over to Tokyo in the bar?

and a related Tweet from commentator Clare Balding:

Storm raging in Rio. Feel sorry for the Closing Ceremony organisers, participants & athletes. It'll be gale force finale - if it happens...

One factor which was apparent on the night, but perhaps not so obvious on TV as in real life, was the weather. Here's a quote from a BBC liveblog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/olympics/36773435

and a related Tweet from commentator Clare Balding:

Ah so.  Then maybe they should've gone with the alternate "Storm" scenario, i.e., showing how the Brasilian parrots and fauna and flora cope in a rainstorm-- and the show would still have been well attended, in sync with the elements, and a smasheroo!!  But then again, they didn't ask me.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/08/2017 at 2:26 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Ah so.  Then maybe they should've gone with the alternate "Storm" scenario, i.e., showing how the Brasilian parrots and fauna and flora cope in a rainstorm-- and the show would still have been well attended, in sync with the elements, and a smasheroo!!  But then again, they didn't ask me.  

Thanks god!

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Am rewatching the 2016 Opening.  Why is Santos-Dumont's plane flying backwards (i.e., the part with the wings is behind)?   Am I missing something?  Can someone please explain this to me?   (Also, the actual flying over Rio, I guess, was previously shot separately??)  

It's a canard. You can see versions of the same configuration (large rear wings, small front wing/flap thing) on contemporary military jets.

Yes, the flying over Rio would have to have been greenscreened earlier. The show aircraft simply hung around under the roof looking awkward.

It's a canard. You can see versions of the same configuration (large rear wings, small front wing/flap thing) on contemporary military jets.

Yes, the flying over Rio would have to have been greenscreened earlier. The show aircraft simply hung around under the roof looking awkward.

Did further research and I guess that's how his plane flew -- with the smaller part lifting off first, then dragging the larger back carriage after it.  Seems like a back-heavy design to me. 

Plus, there were these other interesting facts:  http://www.thebubble.com/i-believe-i-can-fly-brazils-abiding-love-for-alberto-santos-dumont/ 

He saw his aviation technology utilized in Brazil’s Constitutionalist Revolution of 1932, in which an estimated 3,000 Brazilians died. Devastated by the fact that his life’s work was used in warfare, Santos-Dumont committed suicide in 1932 at the age of 59. Today he is buried in Rio’s Cemitério de São João Batista, alongside the likes of Carmen Miranda and Tom Jobin. Santos-Dumont was also almost certainly gay; he never married and many articles about him from his lifetime alluded to his homosexuality. However, Brazilian canon often glosses over that fact as if it were at odds with his scientific achievements. “We all known that Santos-Dumont was gay, but no one says it,” says Dutch author Arthur Japin, who fictionalized Santos-Dumont’s life in his 2015 novel De Gevleugelde (translated as O homem com asas in Portuguese).

The things one learns from the Internet.  

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The things one learns from the Internet.  

Yes indeed. 

While looking for the Santos=Dumont segment on YouTube, I discovered OlympicFlame2028's Rio OC playlist, which I hadn't noticed before.

Comparing it with the Olympic Channel Full HD version on YouTube (checked against the BBC coverage in case it was a later edit), I found something truly remarkable. The stadium screens showed a clock display, starting at 5 minutes before the official ceremony kickoff: but on the "live" coverage of the stadium from the air we saw that begin on the screens (too small to read) a mere 50 seconds before kickoff. Not only that, at the beginning of the Full HD version, we can faintly hear Ban Ki-Moon calling for an Olympic Truce- but what we see in the stadium is the earlier pre-show audience participation practice. Then at about 3 minutes 30 seconds into the Full HD version, we seem to hear booing, which quickly ends. On OF2028's version we hear the spectators chanting along with the final 10-second countdown, but on the "live" Full HD and BBC versions, we hear only the last 3 numbers or so.

In other words, organisers were so scared of what might happen when "interim President" Temer arrived in the stadium, they first built a delay of over 4 minutes into the video feed, and then when he arrived and people started booing and chanting "Fora Temer" they also began feeding generic crowd noises (possibly from the dress rehearsals) into the soundtrack. They didn't switch to genuine "as near live as makes very little difference" coverage, with synchronised sound and vision, until about five seconds before the show started !

/\ Another thing which one can just imagine or glean from the Official OC version is . .. what happened to that huge "Forest Canopy" device after it was used?  First off, it arose from the floor of the field.  And then, when they were done with it, you just never saw it again. 

How was it disposed of?  

So the cameras very expertly cut away from the whole thing collapsing and then just being dragged off to one side in order for the "Arrivals" section to move in.   That's my guess of how they disposed of it quickly.  

10 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

/\ Another thing which one can just imagine or glean from the Official OC version is . .. what happened to that huge "Forest Canopy" device after it was used?  First off, it arose from the floor of the field.  And then, when they were done with it, you just never saw it again. 

How was it disposed of?  

So the cameras very expertly cut away from the whole thing collapsing and then just being dragged off to one side in order for the "Arrivals" section to move in.   That's my guess of how they disposed of it quickly.  

Yes. If you look at the last few seconds of OlympicFlame2028's video 46, you can see the cast of the jungle segment moving to gather in the lowered net: