Ski Jumping

Well, ladies and gents, we have our first Olympic champion.

gettyammannolympics.jpg

Simon Ammann, the upset two-time gold medalist from Salt Lake, strikes again, crushing the field in the Normal Hill. Adam Malysz of Poland finished second, with Austrian superstar Gregor Schlierenzauer finishing third.

Larger hill, same podium.

Well, ladies and gents, we have our first Olympic champion.

gettyammannolympics.jpg

Simon Ammann, the upset two-time gold medalist from Salt Lake, strikes again, crushing the field in the Normal Hill. Adam Malysz of Poland finished second, with Austrian superstar Gregor Schlierenzauer finishing third.

Ammann becomes the first Ski Jumper to win 4 individual Ski Jumping gold medals.

Great! Historical event. 4th gold for Simmon Amman. No one's achieved this before. He's just written a great card in history of sport.

Just like Adam Małysz, who signed fantastic career and proved to be big personality of this sport along with people like Nykänen or Weißflog.

Austrians must be definitely disappointed. They have such a strong team (places 3-6) and all of them lost with sportsmen from countries which are poor with good ski jumpers but have some big individuals.

Yes, ski jumping is specific sport, where it's extremely hard to keep high form for a long time. Most of world cup or olympic games winners had one or two good seasons and then they disappeared. So keeping counting in such a discipline for many years defines highest class of sportsman.

Baron don't get your knickers in a knot and recognize what Ammann did was historic. Only 4 athletes have pulled the double in ski jumping and only one has done it twice. Ammann is the most decorated gold medal ski jumper ever.

Well, what I learned was that Simon tanked in Torino. OK, it's great to come back and win both events after another 4 years...but if, as you claim "...only 4 ahtletes ahve pulled the double...," then how unique is that? Tell me another athlete who is like Al Oerter...winnning the gold in his event in FOUR CONSECUTIVE Olympic Games?? I mean he's the only one as far as I know who has done it...whereas the double ski-jumping is shared by FOUR people. So? :blink:

First of all, I don't know where did he get that information about 4 doubles. Actually it happened only twice that one skier gets the double and both times it was Simon Amman.

And please don't compare ski jumping to any throws. It's quite simple there: you're the strongest, thus you throw furthest and nothing can be done about that. However in ski jumping, as I already said, it's extremely uncommon to keep high form for 8 years. There's usually short 1-2 season boom and then wandering between 10-30th place for the rest of career. And even if you're the best for a moment, you can never be sure about anything. For example 50 four hills tournaments had to take part before someone finally managed to win all four competitions at once. It's unpredictable sport and details may change everything. If you were more interested in ski jumping, you would surely admire what Amman did.

Well, what I learned was that Simon tanked in Torino. OK, it's great to come back and win both events after another 4 years...but if, as you claim "...only 4 ahtletes ahve pulled the double...," then how unique is that? Tell me another athlete who is like Al Oerter...winnning the gold in his event in FOUR CONSECUTIVE Olympic Games?? I mean he's the only one as far as I know who has done it...whereas the double ski-jumping is shared by FOUR people. So? :blink:

Well, Ammann is the only athlete to get a double double, so to speak.