PanAmerican Games - Rio de Janeiro 2007

can135

From WWW.RIO2007.ORG.BR

PUBLICITY CAMPAIGN RIO 2007 - 10/22/2004

To increase the local population's involvement in the Pan American Games -Rio 2007. This is the primary objective of the Organizing Committee of Pan American Games Rio 2007 (CO-RIO) publicity campaign that is currently being displayed on billboards and public facilities (bus stops and street totems) in spaces liberated by the City of Rio de Janeiro. The publicity campaign uses the typical landscape of the city, such as the runner in the first plane, the Sugar Loaf in the background and the slogan, "The Carioca (nickname given to the local population), a natural athlete."

The strategy is to make the local population feel like they are part of the multi-sports event and remind them of the importance that the Pan American Games will have for the city, both in terms of international projection and the revitalization of the economy. "With these publicity items, we are communicating that sports permeates the daily life of the Carioca," said the president of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB) and CO-RIO, Carlos Arthur Nuzman. The campaign is also designed to show citizens that there is a team working exclusively for RIO 2007. The process was accompanied by the team of the Special Secretary of Publicity, Advertising and Research, Leila Castanheira.

In all, 150 billboards will be installed next Saturday, November 23, and an additional 15 public facility items will also be installed at points throughout the city (bus stops and totems). The publicity campaign was created by the publicity agency, OPM.. The Government of the State of Rio de Janeiro will provide support through an agreement with CO-RIO.

Go to images data-bank of BOC to see the billboards, a free registration access is required : http://www.cob.org.br/site/news_room/banco.asp#

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the oaths in one of the previous posts, has it been said in languages other than English and Spanish? Just curious that's all. Oh, I almost forgot with my lapse of brain power. With the upcoming 2007 Games in Brazil, Portuguese will be used here.

hey, i'd like to know:

Does someone know about the Rio 2007 mascot?

Maybe the mico-leão, or dolphins, who are in the City Symbol.

What do you think?

Maybe a Jacaré de PaPo Amarelo, due the majority of facilities and venues will be located at Barra da Tijuca, were we have this kind of animal in the lakes.

:) ok, we're here, talking about 2007 pan am games.

I know this topic is for the 2007 Pan Am Games, but, I 'll ask something a little different:

Which another cities would host the 2011, 2015 editions and beyond?

I just predict 2011 will be St Antonio's turn, and, then Santiago. What about another Brazilian, or maybe somewhere like Peru, Bolivia and Alaska?  :oops:

The jacare-de-papo-amarelo would  be a nice mascot, dispiting the apparition of one of them :grinning:how fun :down:

I know that the english is the official language here but I'll try to translate or could people use a freetranslation ok :?)

These articles talk about the expectative of tourism sector in relation to RIO2007.

From OGLOBO Brazilian Newspaper

RIO2007 and tourism evolution

Hotel's sector has got the best results in 20 years

hey, i'd like to know:

What do you think?

Maybe a Jacaré de PaPo Amarelo, due the majority of facilities and venues will be located at Barra da Tijuca, were we have this kind of animal in the lakes.

I think they will decide it later on.

As an example, see the Torino 2006 mascots which were delivered 1,5 years before the beginning of the games.

Still, we haven´t heard anything about a public contest to choose the mascot. (IF there will be any)

I think there are more important things to worry about right now, like the stadiums at the race track.

hey, i'd like to know:

What do you think?

As an example, see the Torino 2006 mascots which were delivered 1,5 years before the beginning of the games.

Still, we haven´t heard anything about a public contest to choose the mascot. (IF there will be any)

I think there are more important things to worry about right now, like the stadiums at the race track.

Lets stay for the cronogram of CO-RIO. According It in the november, will be announced the enterprise that will be the responsible of the works of race track Nelson Piquet Sport Complex. There are 14 companies in the auction.

Just another update to help keep this post alive (I wonder how many posts there would be by 2007)

RIO 2007 AT THE CHAMBER

10/20/2004

On this Tuesday, 19, the President of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB) and the Organizing Committee of Pan American Games Rio 2007 (CO-RIO), Carlos Arthur Nuzman, delivered a Progress Report to the President of the Chamber of Deputies, Federal Deputy João Paulo Cunha (PT-São Paulo). The report described the organization of the multi-sports event that will take place in three years. The delivery was made during the Formal Session of the Chamber of Deputies, which also paid tribute to COB and the athletes that participated in the Athens Olympic Games. The homage was proposed by Federal Deputies Ivan Ranzolin (PT-Santa Catarina), Mariangela Duarte (PT-São Paulo) and Ronaldo Vasconcelos (PTB-Minas Gerais).

As he delivered the Rio 2007 Progress Report to Deputy Joao Paulo Cunha, Nuzman expressed his satisfaction with the work that is being developed in preparation for the Pan American Games. "The President of the Pan American Sports Organization (PASO) himself recognized the advanced stage of our organization, which is very satisfying," said Nuzman. He also recalled that the official pictograms for the 35 sports categories were recently launched on October 15 in a ceremony at the Rio de Janeiro Museum of Modern Art. The CO-RIO Secretary-General, Carlos Roberto Osorio, emphasized the entity's continuous work. "We are constantly evolving and even now we are preparing for another CO-RIO internal seminar in order to expand our operations planning," explained Osorio.

Deputy Joao Paulo Cunha praised the preparations for RIO 2007 and reiterated the Chamber to Deputies' support for the event. "Sports is a factor of human promotion, integration and insertion of youths onto the path of civism and a healthy life," said Cunha. Deputy Ivan Ranzolin also stressed the importance of the Pan American Games for the country. "It is a Rio de Janeiro event, but it also belongs to all of Brazil and the Americas," commented Deputy Ivan Ranzolin, president of the Parliamentary Sports Front and the Chamber of Deputies representative at the Athens Games.

The RIO 2007 Progress Report received by Deputy Joao Paulo Cunha this Tuesday, October 19, is the same as that delivered to PASO at the beginning of this month during a meeting of its Executive Committee in Mexico City. The document covers the period from the last PASO meeting, which was held in April in San Antonio, Texas, to the present day. The Report's main themes are the progress of CO-RIO's Strategic Planning, the sales, marketing and TV broadcasting plans (broadcasting rights and transmission), an Athens Olympic Games Observers Report , sports venues and the Pan American Village.

Photos of the Formal Session at the Chamber of Deputies are available at the COB website image bank: www.cob.org.br

With the oaths in one of the previous posts, has it been said in languages other than English and Spanish? Just curious that's all. Oh, I almost forgot with my lapse of brain power. With the upcoming 2007 Games in Brazil, Portuguese will be used here.

If my memory doesn't fool me, I remember that in Santo Domingo the oaths have been said in Spanish.

I wonder about which languages would be used in Tv transmissions... In Winnipeg '99 they were English and French, in Santo Domingo, Spanish and English. You know, it would be kind of trick to do the TV infographics using three languages.

Probably we're going to use Portuguese and English, since Portuguese is easily understood by most Spanish-speaking people in America.

hey, i'd like to know:

What do you think?

They could contact Mauricio de Sousa studios to create a mascot...

I loved Tamba, the ant-eater mascot of 2002 South American Games, but re-using it would be, at least, lack of creativity. Should be an animal that represents both Rio and Brazil.

hey, i'd like to know:

What do you think?

They could contact Mauricio de Sousa studios to create a mascot...

I loved Tamba, the ant-eater mascot of 2002 South American Games, but re-using it would be, at least, lack of creativity. Should be an animal that represents both Rio and Brazil.

odesur_tbowl.jpgtamba_animado.giftamba_tocha.gif

Yes, Tamba is cool.

From Terra Esportes.

RIO has a strategy to bring the best athletes from U.S.A. to RIO2007

Michael Phelps shining in the swimming pool of the aquatic park to be constructed in the Automobile race track Nelson Piquet, in the Pan-American Games  of 2007, is a dream of the  Committee Organizer of the Games. For this to become reality, Co-Rio starts to execute a plan to convince the United States to bring its main athletes, mainly of swimming and the athletics, for the competition.

In December, a mission of American Olympic Committee will come to Rio de Janeiro to know the project of Pan. This will be a important step to define wicht team the Americans will bring.

"We will only attract the American stars and of other countries if We prove that We have perfect conditions of competition, organization and lodgings. With these visits we go to show that what we can offer", affirmed Carlos Robert Osório, general secretary of Co-Rio.

For Osório, the biggest reason for the stars of the United States "ignorate" the Pan-Americans are the doubt that they have on the structure of the competition. For this reason, the controller wants to stimulate these visits of the national committees.

"A great star will not come to find itself that it goes to pass difficulty. Without the certainty of a good Pan-American Village , gymnasiuns and tracks of quality, or a time  system that works, the athletes prefer to be training. Our objective is to give to this warranty", He said.

After the visit of this year, the Americans, as well as Canadians, Cubans, among others, will make inspections in 2005 and 2006, to see the course of the workmanships and to be usual with the structure.

Beyond the visits to RIO, another  strategy for Co-Rio is to keep a good relationship with the committees and international federations. Co-Rio has a department of foreign affairs, that, according to Osório, has had much success in this contact.

From : http://esportes.terra.com.br/interna/0,,OI...-EI2276,00.html

• 2 weeks later...

From RIO2007 Web Site

America Ambassador is Impressed With the Organization of RIO2007 Pan American Games

05.11.2004:: 18h51

home_2004_11_5_19_31_5_emb.jpg

Ambassador of the United States in Brazil, John Danilovich (Left) and the president of the BOC and the Organizer Committee ( Rio2007-CO-RIO), Carlos Arthur Nuzman.

In a demonstration of the interest of the biggest sports power of the American continent in the Pan Americans Games RIO2007, the Ambassador of the United States in Brazil, John Danilovich,  visited the headquarters of   Brazilian Olympic Committee  (BOC), in this friday, day 5. The ambassador visited the BOC to know the organization of RIO2007 and also to prepare the visit of the United States Olympic Committee's Delegation (USOC), that will be in the Rio de Janeiro between the 6 and 9 of December inspecting installations of the Pan. Received by the  president of the BOC and the Organizer Committee ( Rio2007-CO-RIO), Carlos Arthur Nuzman, and for the general secretary of the CO-RIO, Carlos Robert Osório, the ambassador John Danilovich was folloied by the General Consul in Rio De Janeiro, Edmund Atkins, and the Commercial Consul, Jim Cunningham.

During the official visit, John Danilovich heard of Nuzman all the details of the organization of the The Pan American Games RIO2007, such as the commercial plan of the event, venues/installations, security, transport and the pan village, among others. The American ambassador disclosed that the United States desire to work for the success of The Pan American Games RIO2007, also with the participation of American companies in the sponsorship of the event. "We are very happy with the support and the interest of the Embassy of the United States in Brazil in relation to The Pan American Games RIO2007. This support will be basic to also make of the RIO2007 a great multisport event and a factor of integration of the countries of Americas ", affirmed the president of the BOC and the CO-RIO, Carlos Arthur Nuzman.

http://www.rio2007.org.br/pan2007/portugue..._det.asp?id=827

Pan-American Village Financing Contract Signed in Brasilia Today

From RIO2007 WebSite and Braziilan Press

The CAIXA Econômica Federal Bank and Agenco, the borrowing company, had signed, in the afternoon of this tuesday, day 10, the contract of financing for the Pan-American Village.

The contract signed today in Brasilia guarantees the completion of the Pan American Village by the end of 2006, according to the deadlines established together with the Pan- American Sports Organization (ODEPA).

More details at :

http://www.rio2007.org.br/pan2007/portugue..._det.asp?id=837

http://oglobo.globo.com/online/esportes/146949206.asp

Pan-American Village Financing Contract Signed in Brasilia Today

From RIO2007 WebSite and Braziilan Press

The CAIXA Econômica Federal Bank and Agenco, the borrowing company, had signed, in the afternoon of this tuesday, day 10, the contract of financing for the Pan-American Village.

The contract signed today in Brasilia guarantees the completion of the Pan American Village by the end of 2006, according to the deadlines established together with the Pan- American Sports Organization (ODEPA).

MAN, our national government was slow on that!!

And then they don´t want us to imagine they are against Rio. If this was in Sao Paulo (at least until this december) they would have done in a heartbeat.

Please let me know that I am not against guarantees or something else to preserve from defaulting, after all I work in a development bank, so I would be the first to avoid that, but they took forever on this.

Below is another news from the official site.

OPERATIONAL PLANNING

11/9/2004

The Organizing Committee of Rio 2007 Pan American Games (CO-RIO) has taken another step in preparing for the event. On November 9, it initiated its Operational Planning phase, using data gathered during the Strategic Planning phase that was concluded during the first week of November. "We are moving along steadily and decidedly in organizing the Pan American Games, completing all the stages within the scheduled timeframe, which has been approved by the Pan American Sports Organization," said Carlos Arthur Nuzman, President of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB) and CO-RIO. "This new phase that we are starting in our Planning is very important because the Operation is the soul of a multi-sports event."

The goal of Operational Planning is to create a detailed plan of each venue, sports or non-sports, that will be used during the Pan American Games, as well as to establish the level of service to used in support areas such as transportation and accreditation. "Everyone is fully aware that we have arduous work ahead, but the delivery of a high-level Strategic Plan within the deadline gives us confidence that we will continue to complete all the stages in a satisfactory matter," said Carlos Roberto Osório, Secretary-General of CO-RIO.

To begin this new phase in organizing RIO 2007, an Operational Planning Seminar was held on Monday and Tuesday, involving the participation of the entire CO-RIO team and of agents from the three levels of the Brazilian government (city, state and federal). On the first day, the Municipal Sports and Leisure Secretary, Ruy Cezar, State Under Secretary for RIO 2007, Bernard Rajzman, National High Performance Sports Secretary, André Arantes and National Secretary of Educational Sports Ricardo Leyser attended presentations by the Australians John Quayle and Hugh Taylor, directors of MI Associates, an international consulting agency composed of executives who worked on the Sydney Olympic Games Organizing Committee. On the second day, an internal debate was held by the CO-RIO team to discuss the implementation of the new Planning phase.

John Quayle, leader of the MI Associates team who worked on the Operational Planning orientation, highlighted the importance of the new phase that is beginning. "In Strategic Planning, it was decided what was going to be done," said Quayle. "In this new phase of Operational Planning, it will be decided how to do it, in what manner, and with what resources. This will be a crucial phase because important issues will be resolved, but the quality of the entire team involved gives us confidence that the Planning will be very successful."

Outeiro Hill is approved to host Bike competitions in RIO2007 Pan Games

From RIO2007 WebSite

ciclismo.jpg

Outeiro Hill was approved by the Brazilian Cycling Confederation(CBC) as venue of the mountain bike Confederationin the Pan-american Games RIO 2007.  The venue was considered perfect by the team of inspection, therefore permits the construction of a trail of mountain bike of technical excellence and an area for public, with the preservation of the existing vegetation.  Beyond that, to the foot of the Hill there is an ideal flat land for the construction of the necessary temporary installations for shelter all the infrastructure of support to the mountain bike.  

Another advantage of the venue is his location, between the Riocentro and the Sporting Complex of the Race Track, that will host around a third of the modalities of RIO 2007, and to little more of two kilometres of the Pan-american Village.  

foto_outeiro.jpg

An aerial view of Outeiro Hill

Address: Estrada de Jacarepaguá, sem número

Capacity: 5 thousand spectators

http://www.rio2007.org.br/pan2007/portugue..._det.asp?id=843

What RIO2007 Pictogram do You like more ?

The RIO2007 Pan Games Pictograms were released some days ago.

What do You think abou It ? My signature has got  some of  RIO2007 Official Pictograms.

I like the BASKETBALL Pictogram :

basquete.jpg

You could see it in the link bellow clicking in each sports links

Put here the image of your prefered RIO2007 pictogram :

http://www.rio2007.org.br/pan2007/ingles/esportes.asp

Well, looks like after the village, they are starting to get things moving (see news below). At last.... I feel a little better about the Games right now.

By the way, does anyone have pictures of the PanAm Stadium (that were taken in the last couple of weeks only). I am curious about the construction.

VILLAGE MILITARY

11/17/2004

Organizers have begun another stage in the construction process for the Rio 2007 Pan American Games. The call for tender for the basic architectural and complementary projects for the Sports Complex at the Military Village was recently published in the Diário Oficial da União (official newspaper of the state government). Under the responsibility of the Ministry of Sports, the Olympic Shooting Center and the Equestrian Games Olympic Center (permanent venues) and the Archery Center (a temporary venue) will be constructed at the Military Village. "After resolving the issue of financing for the Pan American Village and thus guaranteeing housing for the athletes, we are proud to take yet another step in the construction of a modern sports facility that will meet the specifications of the Pan American Sports Organization (PASO) and the International Olympic Committee," said Minister of Sports, Agnelo Queiroz.

The amount estimated for the projects included in the tender process held by the Ministry of Sports is R$ 3,450,000.00. Companies interested in participating in the tender can send their offers. They will be analyzed beginning on January 12 and results are expected by the end of February. "This is yet another fundamental project for the Games," commented Carlos Roberto Osório, Secretary-General of the Organizing Committee of Rio 2007 Pan American Games (CO-RIO). "With the calculation of other large projects such as the Pan American village, the João Havelange Stadium and the Speedway Sports Complex, we have been taking firm steps in our organization process. These sports facilities are top-of-the-line and will remain as a legacy for the city of Rio de Janeiro and for the Army."

On July 2, an agreement was signed between the Ministry of Sports and the Ministry of Defense - Army Command establishing authorization to begin the construction and adaptation of the Military Village in Rio de Janeiro. Construction is currently being planned for three Olympic Shooting Center stations and three tracks and nine training areas, both for the Equestrian Games Olympic Center. During RIO 2007, the area will also have a temporary pavilion that will serve as Archery Center. Organizers must also plan for the possibility of constructing additional shooting stations.

A second tender process will be held later on to contract the construction companies for the project.

Well, looks like after the village, they are starting to get things moving (see news below). At last.... I feel a little better about the Games right now.

By the way, does anyone have pictures of the PanAm Stadium (that were taken in the last couple of weeks only). I am curious about the construction.

VILLAGE MILITARY

11/17/2004

Organizers have begun another stage in the construction process for the Rio 2007 Pan American Games. The call for tender for the basic architectural and complementary projects for the Sports Complex at the Military Village was recently published in the Diário Oficial da União (official newspaper of the state government). Under the responsibility of the Ministry of Sports, the Olympic Shooting Center and the Equestrian Games Olympic Center (permanent venues) and the Archery Center (a temporary venue) will be constructed at the Military Village. "After resolving the issue of financing for the Pan American Village and thus guaranteeing housing for the athletes, we are proud to take yet another step in the construction of a modern sports facility that will meet the specifications of the Pan American Sports Organization (PASO) and the International Olympic Committee," said Minister of Sports, Agnelo Queiroz.

The amount estimated for the projects included in the tender process held by the Ministry of Sports is R$ 3,450,000.00. Companies interested in participating in the tender can send their offers. They will be analyzed beginning on January 12 and results are expected by the end of February. "This is yet another fundamental project for the Games," commented Carlos Roberto Osório, Secretary-General of the Organizing Committee of Rio 2007 Pan American Games (CO-RIO). "With the calculation of other large projects such as the Pan American village, the João Havelange Stadium and the Speedway Sports Complex, we have been taking firm steps in our organization process. These sports facilities are top-of-the-line and will remain as a legacy for the city of Rio de Janeiro and for the Army."

On July 2, an agreement was signed between the Ministry of Sports and the Ministry of Defense - Army Command establishing authorization to begin the construction and adaptation of the Military Village in Rio de Janeiro. Construction is currently being planned for three Olympic Shooting Center stations and three tracks and nine training areas, both for the Equestrian Games Olympic Center. During RIO 2007, the area will also have a temporary pavilion that will serve as Archery Center. Organizers must also plan for the possibility of constructing additional shooting stations.

A second tender process will be held later on to contract the construction companies for the project.

I'll try to go to stadium work site and take some pictures.

According Ung Chang - IOC North Korea Member, RIO has the conditions to apply oneself to host the 2016 Olympic Games.

From RIO2007 and BOC WebSites

thumb_2004_11_24_19_4_39_coreia2.JPG

Mr Ung Chang [L] Mr Cesar Maia [C] and Carlos Roberto Osório/Carlos Arthur Nuzman [R]

MEMBER OF COI KNOWS RIO2007

24/11/2004

Rio De Janeiro - the member of International Olympic Committee (IOC)l in North Korea and First Vice-minister of Sports of that country, Ung Chang, was in this Wednesday, day 24, in Rio De Janeiro, with the objective to know the project of the Pan-Americans Games RIO2007 and to discuss subjects of Olympic movement. Chang was received by the Mayor of Rio De Janeiro, Mr Cesar Maia, after visiting the headquarters of Brazilian Olympic Committtee (BOC) and of the Organizing Committee of Pan American Games Rio 2007 (CO-RIO). "This is a very important visit because Ung Chang could verify "in loco" the work that comes being done in the Brazilian sport and to know the project of RIO2007, the president of the BOC and the CO-RIO, Carlos Arthur Nuzman commented.

Mayor Maia remembered the importance of the RIO to keep an interchange with international olympics controllers. "It's necessary to change ideas, to hear critical and suggestions, to be able to keep the RIO in the natural way of the city, of narrow partnership with the sport", evaluated the Mayor, who received Chang in the City hall - beyond Nuzman, also the County Secretary of Sports had participated of the meeting, Ruy Cezar; the Special Secretary for Pan-Americans Games, Claudio Versiani; Secretary-General of CO-RIO., Carlos Roberto Osório.

The member of the IOC in the North Korea made an analysis of that he saw in a helicopter overflow over the Pan-Americans Games work sites  and in the visit to the sports installations that he made through in this Wednesday. "I'am very impressed with that I saw, and I perceive that RIO will have much success in the organization of the Pan-American Games. The city congregates all the conditions to apply oneself to host the Olympic Games in 2016, when RIO will one strong one will be a very strong competitor", commented Chang again, that attended a presentation of RIO2007 in the headquarters of the BOC and the CO-RIO. In the occasion, Nuzman also presented the evolution of the brazilian olympic sport and the strategies of the BOC for its development.

Chang was still in Brasilia in the tuesday, day 23, when he visited the Minister of the Sport, Agnelo Queiroz. In the meeting, of which had the participation of Carlos Arthur Nuzman and Carlos Roberto Osório, was discussed the possibility of sport interchanges between Brazil and North Korea and Chang praised the performance of the Brazilian olympic team Olympic Games of Atenas.

Archived