PanAmerican Games - Rio de Janeiro 2007

can135

Man, talk about a drug gangs war in Rio that could affect the Pan American Games, according to this article.

Link: BBC: Gun Battles In Rio Leaves 19 Dead

_42814327_police_ap203bo.jpg

A quote from the article: "Earlier this year, a group of federal police officers were sent to Rio after an outbreak of violence, and more are due to go later this year to help provide security for the Pan-American Games."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, talk about a drug gangs war in Rio that could affect the Pan American Games, according to this article.

Link: BBC: Gun Battles In Rio Leaves 19 Dead

_42814327_police_ap203bo.jpg

A quote from the article: "Earlier this year, a group of federal police officers were sent to Rio after an outbreak of violence, and more are due to go later this year to help provide security for the Pan-American Games."

Every major event is like this here, Guardian. The gangsters spread the terror around the city during most of the year, but when some major event is staged here (like the Rollings Stones concert last year, the New Year´s Eve, Carnaval, and similarities), they strengthen the number of policemen, the army arrives and then the events problems are only related to the logistic part (like always).

RIP, Maria Lenk. :(

I wonder, if she was going to be part of Rio 2007 in any way. For those who do not know about her place in swimming history, she was the pioneer in a swimming technique that will become what we all know as the BUTTERFLY STROKE. And, yes, she did compete for Brazil in Los Angeles 1932 and Berlin 1936.

Link: CBC: Swimming Legend Maria Lenk Dead At 92

Maria Lenk will be the name of the new Aquatic Center next to the Race Track. In some unfortunate coincidence, she received the honors only 2 months ago.

She died doing what she liked best, swimming, and training for an event!!!

Folks,

You already know my opinion about what the Pan 2007 is turning to be. Below is a letter of another unsatisfied Rio citzen which share most of my opinions about the event, but he decided to spread his anger to outside Brazil. As you can see, I am not the only one unhappy with it, but so far I was the only one to express in English.

Here is his letter, the italics are mine to explain some names unknown to the rest of you.

--------------------------------------------------------

Open letter to Nuzman

By HOMERO BLOTA

This is an open letter from a Physical Education teacher in public schools of Rio de Janeiro to Mr. Carlos Nuzman, president of the Brazilian Olympic Committee and of the Pan-American Games Organizing Committee

Rio de Janeiro, April 16, 2.007

Dear Mr. Carlos A. Nuzman,

I have never had personal regard towards you, as a person and as a sportive leader. As a person, I don’t know you.

So, it arises from these gratuitous aversions, that we have towards those whose public figure, for several reasons, we end up confusing with the private figure and, for such, we start to hate both. But I consider myself in the right of not appreciating your apparent excessive vanity.

Your gestures and tics.

It seems to me that you are so proud of yourself, having an unspeakable will of appearing more than the athletes.

You do not love yourself, but you envy yourself every time you look in the mirror, demonstrating rigorous disdain for those that are living around you. This is the personal impression that I got from you, even without knowing you.

Who knows I may be mistaken. As a sportive leader and being a of Physical Education teacher who tries to bring the cause of the sport to the poor citizens of Rio, there yes, I have a formed opinion on you, on the politics that you have adopted for the Olympic sports of Brazil. Read this letter with humility, as it reflects the opinion, be sure, not only mine, but of an enormous range of people in Brazil, which frontally disagree on your actions.

Accept it as a contribution to your journey, if you are capable for such. Since you assumed the lead of the Brazilian Olympic Committee, your concern has been just the following one, in other words, to transform that entity into a mere athletic event organizing enterprise, with the intent of:

(a) bringing about profit;

and (B) projecting your figure nationally and internationally.

The one that should be the Brazilian agency intended to propose to the country an athletic base policy, stimulating young people of all over the nation to practice sports, has been interested simply in just organizing mega-events (or trying to organize them).

Tell me, Carlos A. Nuzman, what have you done for the base sport of Brazil since you have assumed the COB’s presidency? What did you do for the neediest ones?You placed our Rio de Janeiro in two frustrated, phantasmagoric Olympic candidatures (and you still coordinated the most ill fated: Brasília 2000), even knowing, beforehand, that the chances of victory would be null.

Not to mention the financial scandals that involved such candidatures.

Would it no have been more useful to our poor Brazil if your efforts had been concentrated to collect all this pile of money to be spent in sport fields in less favored locations in distant regions? You have always known that the chances of Brasília and Rio de Janeiro were absolutely null.

And you insisted on them, it so seems to me, with the intent of self-promotion and collecting large amounts, whose financial balances up to today are not completed, as well the press announces and as it is settled from the Federal Audit Court.

Do you want equally to impose on Brazil, again, a new scandal that will be referred to as Rio 2016? Use this money to create base competitions in the Northeast of Brazil, for example, for young people, who never practiced fencing, handball, Olympic gymnastics, rowing, or weight lifting.

Promote and give prestige to the sports that elect and re-elect you, indefinitely.

Do not spend this money in hotels, banquets, presents, gifts and salaams, or first-class travels and luxury hotels with delegates of the International Olympic Committee.

If we have money for Rio 2016 Olympic candidature, spend it, whatsoever, to improve the conditions of the public facilities in the public schools of the State of Rio, if you want to limit your horizons to your native land.I see the newspapers and I realize that your administration is full of improper conduct denunciations.

We have never seen before so many misfortunes.

Without any blemish, you deliver over the design of the clothes of the Olympic delegation to your sister-in-law Mônica Conceição, give the Leadership of the Olympic and Pan-American delegations of Brazil to your director and companion Marcos Vinicius Freire who, at the same time, represents in Brazil AON Seguros that is the company that carries through the insurances of the selections of your Committee.

In the bargain, the same Marcos Vinicius Freire is a friend and a partner of Ricardo Aciolly that, in his turn, gained the commercialization rights for the tickets of the Pan-American games.

In the bargain, he also gained the rights on the inauguration and closing ceremonies of the same competition.

-The travel agency that renders services to the COB pertains to your great friend Cristina Lowndes, gained in an auction that up to today is questioned and directed.

-The enterprise contracted to idealize (only to idealize, and nothing more) the medals of the Pan-American games gained the right of doing it through a mere invitation letter, profiting a R$ 720,000.00 in a three-year contract.

-The daughter of your current woman is a Law trainee of the COB and she traveled to Switzerland, at the expenses of the entity, "to advise the defense of Vanderlei Cordeiro de Lima," without even being graduated, or having been enrolled in the OAB/RJ (OAB is the entity that regulates the lawyers in Brazil)

In spite of the fact that the decree that regularizes the Piva Law force you to bid all contracting of works and services, since the COB is an agency that is supported by the public money, it is absolutely directed under bidding regime, other that the famous contracting of Tamoyo Turismo, pertaining to your friend Cristina Lowndes, where on her person accusations of directed auction are hovering.

I am not inventing anything of that.

Everything herein is reported in the press along the time and threaded together in the blog, http://averdadedopan2007.blogspot.com/ (in Portuguese), which is a true historical document on what you and Globo network started to call Pan of Brazil.

Before that, Mr. Nuzman, it had been Pan of Rio, yours and of the mayor César Maia. When they realized that without bulky federal allowances the thing would not go on, they changed the slogan and, to justify them, Globo created the sentence "THE PAN OF BRAZIL".

In other words, over - paid with the money of all the Brazilians.You and Globo TV network are doing everything to mask the truth of the Pan.Firstly, the Pan, in technical terms, it is not what they make it look like. Internationally the Pan is considered a weak competition.

Do not deceive the Brazilian people, causing them to imagine that we are an Olympic power just because in the Pan-American Games we will gain more than 100 medals, doing better than Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Virgin Islands, Paraguay, Bahamas, or even the teams C of USA and Canada, or Cuba that, devastated by the poverty is no more the same country.

Demystify these Games and be loyal to the people, explaining that the Universíade (University Games), the Games of the Common Wealth, the Mediterranean Games, the Games of the Pan Pacific, the Asian Games, or any other world-wide championship of any kind has a technical level much above that of the Pan-American Games.

If you and Globo network are not explaining it properly, the Brazilian people are going to find strange that, in the next year, in Peking, the country will continue lacking medals in swimming, fencing, box, athletics, and seeing our handball arriving in last, or in antepenultimate position.How many medals the swimming of Brazil gained in this recent world championship?

None, although our brave athletes have played an excellent role.

The fact, Nuzman, is that we are light years far from being an Olympic power and the Pan-American Games cannot mask this truth.To defeat the candidature of Texas in the Odepa, you have been omissive with the truth with the delegates of Odepa.

You delivered them a dossier of candidature absolutely impossible of being carried out. So much that it is true that nothing there is being carried out. It is a megalomaniac dossier.

None of the works promised in the dossier that you signed and delivered to Odepa was built, such as subway, transport lines, enlargement of avenues, depollution of Guanabara Bay, to quote some examples.

I do not even speak of the hospitals to attend athletes, leaders and tourists, which absolutely do not exist in our Rio de Janeiro.In addition to such, you are using the Pan to put in action things that for a long time have been claimed in Rio de Janeiro and have not been done because it is illegal, or because it does not interest the City.

I quote some examples: the reform of Marina da Gloria is not a project of the Pan. It is an old project that private groups already wanted to bring into effect for a long time; to build a mall (shopping center) in Lagoa on account of the rowing lane. The same thing of the reported above; it is to hand over Rio Centro to the private enterprise; it is also an old project that interests the private groups for a enough time.

You are using the Pan as a justification to welcome interests of these groups. Now, I ask:- Why reform Marina da Glória, which is certified as a historic structure by IPHAN (Institution that regulates the historical and artistic venues in Rio), if it shelters the Pan-American Games as it is?- Why build a Mall (Shopping Center) in Lagoa, for the rowing lane? Is this necessary for the Pan?- Why hand over the administration of Rio Centro to the private initiative on account of the Pan? What has one thing to do with the other one?This Pan became a great trade counter and I am ashamed of it.It is also worth commenting the useless things that you are building.

I remember that in the past your same COB no more wanted to build similar Pharaonic works because of judging them useless things, because of understanding that money would be missing to maintain them. But you insisted on them.I do inquire, would it not be better causing this Pan-American to invest in the infrastructure of the clubs, athletes shaping center and, after the games, that would remain as legate for them? Would it not have been a much cheaper option also?For what “Engenhão” would serve afterwards? Perhaps for the 2014 World Cup.

But apart that, for nothing it will serve for the Olympic sport of Brazil.The same reasoning is applied to the works of our race-track of Jacarepaguá. It happens that a cheaper, more conscious Pan, would not produce so many works, so many constructions, so many flow of capital, of super capital.The overbilling in the works is shameful.

It shows lack of planning, rigor and respect with the public money. You sold over something that you could not deliver. And you put pressure on the Federal Government like the one who says: Or pay the bull, or we are going to cause shame abroad. And they paid your bill.

Another day an e-mail circulated with a report done by a reporter of Uol group (a popular Brazilian Internet website) (whose credentials you tear up in sportive competitions).

He tried to visit all the works of the Pan-American Games and the competition sites. He did a sincere and crude report of the situation.

He tried to go with common taxi. The drivers of Rio did not even know where the most part of these places were located. To access them, he had to go in clandestine vans, face dense brushwood lands, since there is not, still, access to competition sites. He visited the Pan-American Village and reported the unbearable smell of sewage emanating there. What athlete is going to resist all this there??

All this taking place three months before the games. And you and Globo network mask all this. In the same way that Globo and Sportv (cable company that belongs to Globo) did not broadcast the fight of factions that grappled in the presentation of the volunteers who will work in the competition.

And you, Mr. Nuzman, you still want to do Olympic Games in Brazil.Our athletics is bankrupt. If it were not for BM&F (Brazilian Futures Market, main athletics sponsor), it would not exist. Our basketball still demonstrates some hope because of our Brazilian League of Basketball. But other sports such as fencing, handball, boxing, baseball, rowing, canoeing, and weightlifting do not receive any support from your Committee.

It is not known for certain what you do with the Piva Law (Federal Law that transfer part of the money collected in Brazilian lotteries to fund Olympic sports). It is known that great part of it remains in the COB itself, for your parties, presents and travels, which is incomprehensible. Why does COB want money? It should all be fully transferred to the Confederations, mainly for the less profitable ones.Mr. Nuzman, medals are not important.

The important thing is to have poor people in Brazil doing much sport, in mass, in wide scale. When this takes place, after many years, great Olympic athletes will appear, naturally. But this is a very long-term work.

And till then you will be already dead. And I will be an old teacher. And I do not find that you have this greatness to think so. To gain half a dozen of medals in Olympic Games in sports that always gained medals, along the years, does not represent absolutely nothing at all for Brazil.What I really expect, when the Pan-American Games are completed, is that the Public Prosecution Service and the councilors, as well as the people of this our dear city dedicate their time to investigate you.

I love sport and I lament seeing the Olympic spirit having been transformed into a great shady transaction. Doing so, we are going nowhere.I expect that in the Olympic Games of London you keep on performing alike, vibrant, with more and more gestures, tics and trembles, cheering a lot for our brave athletes. But sitting comfortably in your armchair at your home in Rio de Janeiro.

Physical Education Teacher - Homero Blota

Uh, Rominger. As I posted this in another topic, it seems that Rio may get the go-ahead to bid for 2016, despite that letter you posted that was written from a concerned citizen.

Link: Xinhua: Brazilian City Rio Seeks 2016 Olympic Games

Uh, Rominger. As I posted this in another topic, it seems that Rio may get the go-ahead to bid for 2016, despite that letter you posted that was written from a concerned citizen.

Link: Xinhua: Brazilian City Rio Seeks 2016 Olympic Games

Like I said, Guardian, those protests are only a few spots that are steamrolled by the main media (Globo most of the time, but most of the others major channels are not interested in showing those problems since they will also broadcast the event). So, for those who don´t live in Rio, things would look at the bright side.

I think in the 2016 thread I wrote earlier about Rio´s bid, so I won´t repeat it here. It is just a way to grab some attention from world media and creating some 'buzz', because Rio´s chances are still close to zero. Anyone can be a bid city, right? It is not the mayor´s or BOC´s problem if the city is not even shortlisted. Nuzman´s dream is to be a powerful member of the IOC, but so far he can´t even be elected to the minor comissions.

I also see those protests with a grain of salt. Protests like Homero´s letter are good to show the real situation, but they always say that the money invested could be used in education and infrastructure of the city (which they are right on that), but the fact is that a real and healthy bid could use the Games as a springboard to the rest of the city, like Barcelona or Sydney (even Athens). The problem here is that they tend to use the Games as propaganda and, in the end, all those promises don´t turn real. I was one who fell for that in the beginning, but quickly realize it is not the PanAm Games I wanted for my city.

On the American television front, ESPN Deportes has acquired broadcast rights here in the US and in Puerto Rico. Great news if you can understand Spanish or, better yet, actually get the channel. I personally could if I wanted to upgrade to digital cable and buy the Spansh language package, but I don't see that happening. Anyhow, the plan is for 160 hours of coverage. Unless PASO somehow makes attending the games more attractive to the elite athletes of the US, then English-speaking American TV will probably never be interesting in broadcasting the games again.

• 2 weeks later...
On the American television front, ESPN Deportes has acquired broadcast rights here in the US and in Puerto Rico. Great news if you can understand Spanish or, better yet, actually get the channel. I personally could if I wanted to upgrade to digital cable and buy the Spansh language package, but I don't see that happening. Anyhow, the plan is for 160 hours of coverage. Unless PASO somehow makes attending the games more attractive to the elite athletes of the US, then English-speaking American TV will probably never be interesting in broadcasting the games again.

Really?? That's cool :lol: , the event is greatly broadcasted in Latin America, but since we are hosting the Copa America (the second most important american sport event) i don't know if the channels will decide to broadcast the games too. I have ESPN and ESPN2 Deportes at my cable service, so that means i got some hope to watch them too.

Well, now here are some updated picks of the venues construction. Looks like they resolved the problems and moving fast as hell.

stadiumhavelange.jpg

arena.jpg

velodrome.jpg

village.jpg

And now, as it happened to Torino 2006, some details of the Opening ceremony have been unveiled recently, within two months before it. Doug Jack, one of the most renowned choreographers of the world, which worked in a lot of olympic ceremonies like Barcelona 92, Atlanta 96, Sydney 2000 and the ceremonies of the Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy, the previous year, will prepare, with Rosa Magalhaes, the greatest Carnival director and designer of the anual festival (champion five with the Imperatriz School) will be the masterminds behind the ceremony that will mark the beggining of the Rio 2007 Pan American Games. However, it’s very difficult to keep the mystery with much involved people. At the grass of the Maracanã 6000 volunteers, between dancers, artists and ritmistas, will perform. Not even Scott Givens, the vice-president of entertainment of the Disney, contracted to make the executive production of the ceremony, resisted the temptation to show a little of the party. Its page on the Internet shows five images of the spectacle that it defines as “the biggest show produced in 500 years of history of Brazil”. The ceremonies will cost arround R$34 million. The party, which it’s main theme is ”Long live this energy” (Viva essa energia), will give us a travel to the brazilian culture, the carnival and the samba carioca.

There you have the concept designs for the ceremony

fireworks_resize.jpg

flag_resize.jpg

lights_resize.jpg

drums_resize.jpg

For now, it looks that it will be better that i expected, but the stage sounds like Melbourne 2006 to me :lol:

I don't know if this was alredy posted, but TSN published a guide to the Olympic Qualifications to take place during the 2007 PanAm Games Here

The fact that the list is on TSN's website probably means that they will show the event, at least some of it.

I'm really looking forward to these Pan Ams solely for the fact to see how Rio performs as a host city. If they are very successful I could definitely see them winning the 2016 Olympics. They are my darkhorse choice at the moment.

I'm really looking forward to these Pan Ams solely for the fact to see how Rio performs as a host city. If they are very successful I could definitely see them winning the 2016 Olympics. They are my darkhorse choice at the moment.

I think a lot of us here are crossing our fingers and wishing them luck for exactly that reason.

Well, Rogge's on-side and up-beat:

JOHANNESBURG, May 25, 2007 (AFP) - The president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Jacques Rogge said Friday he was convinced that the 2010 World Cup in South Africa would be a success.

``I think that the organising committee will make South Africa and Africa proud,'' Rogge, a Belgian, said during a press conference here.

``Organising a big event like the World Cup or the Olympics is never easy. The briefing I have been receiving (from the Local Organising Committe - LOC) is quite reassuring'', he said after a meeting with LOC officials.

Reacting to certain alarming comments on the capability of South Africa to stage such a huge sporting event, the first such on the continent, he said that such remarks were classical at this stage of preparation.

``There is alsways a question mark in the public opinion in the begining of the organisation of such an event. It is almost unavoidable that people are in doubt...The very first phase is always a difficult one because people want to see before they believe,'' he said.

This is Rogge's first official visit to South Africa since he assumed office as IOC boss. During his visit to South Africa, he is scheduled to meet President Thabo Mbeki before leaving for Zambia, Namibia and Lesotho.

So, Rogge's in South Africa at the moment. Whenever he visits a country, speculation about Olympic bids is usually not far behind. I wonder if we'll get some sort of statementn and hints about a future South African bid during this visit. Could you keep a watch for us, Mo?

OOPS! I WAS SURE I WAS POSTING THIS IN THE WC 2010 THREAD! SORRY!!!

What's this thread doing here anyway _ shouldn't it have been moved to the new Pan-Am forum?

Archived