Vancouver 2010 Medal Table Preview

Fox334

The first world championship of 2009 in any Olympic sports, the 2009 FIS World Snowboard Championships (from the could-be 2018 Olympic site in Gangwon, Korea) has just started, whit the Snowboard cross medals being awarded tonight. It has been my intention for a while to post a "shadow" medal table by tabulating the results of the 2009 world championships to serve as a preview of what we can expect in Vancouver (of coarse, its gonna be way off the mark like all of those prediction things always end up :lol:).

Anyway, here is the schedule of the world championships that will lead to the 2010 Olympics:

FIS Snowboard World Championships, January 17-24, Gangwon (Korea Republic), 6 Olympic events

FIL World Artificial Track Luge Championships, Feburary 6-8, Lake Placid (USA), 3 Olympic events

IBU Biathlon World Championships, Feburary 13-22, Pyeong Chang (Korea Republic), 10 Olympic events

FIBT Bobsled and Skeleton World Championships, Feburary 16 to the first of March, Lake Placid (USA), 5 Olympic events

FIS Nordic Skiing World Championships, February 18 to the first of March, Liberec, (Czech Republic), 18 Olympic events

FIS Alpine Skiing World Championships, February 3-15, Val d'Isere (France), 10 Olympic events

FIS Freestyle Skiing World Championships, March 1-8, Inawashiro (Japan), 6 Olympic events

ISU World Short Track Speed Skating Championships, March 6-8, Vienna (Austria), 8 Olympic events

ISU World Single Distances Speed Skating Championships, March 12-15, Vancouver (Canada), 12 Olympic events

WCF Women's World Curling Championships, March 21-29, Gangneung (Korea Republic), 1 Olympic event

ISU World Figure Skating Championships, March 23-29, Los Angeles (USA), 4 Olympic events

WCF Men's World Curling Championships, April 4-12, Moncton (Canada), 1 Olympic event

IIHF Women's World Ice Hockey Championships, April 4-12, Finland, 1 Olympic event

IIHF Men's World Ice Hockey Championships, April 24 to May 10, Switzerland, 1 Olympic event

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The year 2 years before the games is more telling, because a lot of athletes will sit out, just train or skip more events so they are better prepared to qualify next fall.

Look at Canada, two of our strong athletes are sitting on the sidelines.

In the sports I watch (Bobsled, Skeleton and Biathlon) no top athletes are taking the season off for reasons other that injuries and family. So I don't think people siting out will be that much of a problem (especially whit the Olympics a year away, you can still afford to get injured at the moment as long as it isn't major).

And as for using 2007, so many emerge or retire/lose there edge during that time that is really can't be trusted for most sports. But again, its all for geekines' purpose (including the arguing) :lol:

Its the 2008 season that is most important to gauge expectations. Right now if Canada falls short of 30 medals it will be a disappointment.

The final 2008 medal standings for all World Cup and World Champions had Germany 1, Canada 2, USA 3, Norway 4, Russia 5. That is probably how its gonna go in Vancouver.

Though I think you will see Korea, Netherlands and the USA taking hits to their medals because of Canada. In fact those 3 are the most vulnerable to Canada's improvement, because Canada has the skaters in a perfect games to go 1-2-3 in the Women's 1500m, 3000m and 5000m and Canada should get an extra few medals in short track because of the crowd and the money pouring into the sport hitting Korea pretty hard.

Edited by Faster

After 2 of 86 events:

Country #G #S #B T

Austria 1 0 0 1

Norway 1 0 0 1

Switzerland 0 1 1 2

France 0 1 0 1

United States 0 0 1 1

Canada already has two fourth places :lol:

Well, the world championships PGS is in the book and this is where we stand:

After 4 of 86 events:

Country #G #S #B T

Austria 2 1 0 3

Canada 1 0 1 2

Norway 1 0 0 1

Switzerland 0 1 2 3

France 0 2 0 2

United States 0 0 1 1

Men's Snowboard cross:

G: Markus Schairer, AUT

S: Xavier de Le Rue, FRA, defending W.C.

B: Nick Baumgartner, USA

4. Tom Velisek, CAN

5. Seth Wescott, USA, defending O.C.

6. Graham Watanabe, USA

7. Hans-Joerg Unterrainer, AUT

8. Lukas Gruener, AUT

Women's Snowboard cross:

G: Helene Olafsen, NOR

S: Olivia Nobs, SUI

B: Mellie Francon, SUI

4. Maelle Ricker, CAN

5. Sandra Frei, SUI

6. Julie-Wendel Lundholdt, DEN

7. Doresia Krings, AUT

8. Alexandre Jekova, BUL

Men's Parallel Giant Slalom

G: Jasey Jay Anderson, CAN

S: Sylvain Dufour, FRA

B: Matthew Morison, CAN

4. Benjamin Karl, AUT

5. Siegfried Grabner. AUT

6. Andreas Prommegger, AUT

6. Simon Schoch, SUI

8. Michael Lamber

Women's Parallel Giant Slalom

G: Marion Kreiner, AUT

S: Doris Günther, AUT

B: Patrizia Kummer, SUI

4. Tomoka Takeuchi, JPN

5. Ekaterina Tudegesheva, RUS, defending W.C.

6. Nicolien Sauerbreij, NED

7. Claudia Riegler, AUT

8. Nathalie Desmares, FRA

After 4 of 86 events:

Country #G #S #B T

Austria 2 1 0 3

Canada 1 1 1 3

Norway 1 0 0 1

Japan 1 0 0 1

France 0 2 1 3

Switzerland 0 1 2 3

United States 0 0 1 1

Men's Halfpipe:

G: Ryoh Aono, JPN

S: Jeff Batchelor, CAN

B: Mathieu Crepel, FRA

Full results: http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sec...amp;raceid=7728

Women's Halfpipe:

G: Liu Jiayu, CHN

S: Holly Crawford, AUS

B: Paulina Ligocka, POL

Full results: http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sec...amp;raceid=7727

I didn't update the medal table for the women's HP during my last post :rolleyes:

After 6 of 86 events:

Country #G #S #B T

Austria 2 1 0 3

Canada 1 1 1 3

China 1 0 0 1

Norway 1 0 0 1

Japan 1 0 0 1

France 0 2 1 3

Switzerland 0 1 2 3

Australia 0 1 0 1

Poland 0 0 1 1

United States 0 0 1 1

These results are perfect examples of why some world championships are not reflective. The United States will win a lot more than 1 bronze medal in snowboarding come Vancouver. All of their major snowboarders don't compete in the world championships.

These results are perfect examples of why some world championships are not reflective. The United States will win a lot more than 1 bronze medal in snowboarding come Vancouver. All of their major snowboarders don't compete in the world championships.

Well, Wescot was there. I think the Parallel Giant Slalom and the Snowboard Cross is mostly accurate, minus a couple of American boarders in the SBX (but again, on the men's side, the top American was there).

But, indeed, I anticipate the Americans to be much more competitive in the Half Pipe come Vancouver :rolleyes:

Canada will win all gold medals in skeleton and bobsleigh, no matter who will win the medals in this years WCh. It is all about the knowing of track and the Canadians dont give the other nations enough time to practice.

Indeed, the test events should give a good indication. After all, the sliding sports are the one that provide the biggest home field advantage.

(If the WOG would be in Germany the Germans would probably win all 8 sliding sports gold).

Guys..........I am (somewhat regrettably) becoming the party pooper where canada's Olympic expectations are concerned. Let's be brutally honest with ourselves foxy334......I mean "ALL"? That's a pretty big word for my 2 month old cousin and for canada where performances at the Olympics are concerned. I've watch Canadians and canada "every four years" after "every four years" after "every four years" set lofty ideals which just collapse on them time and time and time again like the replay video of an emploding stadium! Yes, I know about your national pride and yadayadaya........but seriously ........all? So ya know whet? Leave "all?".... to US.

Ruling Czar you know nothing about Canada and winter sport.

Lillehammer 1994 - 13(3)

Nagano 1998 - 16(6)

Salt Lake City - 17(7)

Torino - 24(7)

And last year Canada won the second most medals in all sanctioned winter sports events in the 2008 season. Behind only Germany.

And we've spent over 200 million in the last 3 years on performance and another 150million is to be spent this year and next year.

Guys..........I am (somewhat regrettably) becoming the party pooper where canada's Olympic expectations are concerned. Let's be brutally honest with ourselves foxy334......I mean "ALL"? That's a pretty big word for my 2 month old cousin and for canada where performances at the Olympics are concerned. I've watch Canadians and canada "every four years" after "every four years" after "every four years" set lofty ideals which just collapse on them time and time and time again like the replay video of an emploding stadium! Yes, I know about your national pride and yadayadaya........but seriously ........all? So ya know whet? Leave "all?".... to US.

And I watch past and future Olympians perform on a weekly basis in Bobsled, Skeleton, Biathlon and Alpine Skiing, so I would assume that I know more about those sports that someone that watch them once every four years...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't been updating this for a while now and quite a few things have happened. Here it goes:

Alpine Skiing

Men's Super G:

G: Didier Cuche (SUI)

S: Peter Fill (ITA)

B: Aksel Lund Svindal (NOR)

4: Christof Innerhofer (ITA)

5: Benjamin Raich (AUT)

6: John Kucera (CAN)

7: Marco Büchel (LIE)

8: Didier Defago (SUI)

Women's Super Combined

G: Kathrin Zettel (AUT)

S: Lara Gut (SUI)

B: Elisabeth Görgl (AUT)

4: Maria Riesch (GER)

5: Marie Marchand-Arvier (FRA)

6: Johanna Schnarf (ITA)

7: Anna Fenninger (AUT)

8: Fabienne Suter (SUI)

Women's Super G:

G: Lindsey Vonn (USA)

S: Marie Marchand-Arvier (FRA)

B: Andrea Fischbacher (AUT)

4: Anna Fenninger (AUT)

5: Tina Maze (SLO)

6: Elisabeth Görgl (AUT)

7: Lara Gut (SUI)

8: Maria Riesch (GER)

Luge (I only have the top-3 for that one)

Women's Single:

G: Erin Hamlin (USA)

S: Natalie Geisenberger (GER)

B: Natalia Yakushenko (UKR)

This victory by Hamlin snaps Germany's 99 race winning streak in the event Quite the feet by Hamlin and the German women's Luge team.

Doubles:

G: Gerhard Plankensteiner, Oswald Haselrieder (ITA)

S: André Florschütz, Torsten Wustlich (GER)

B: Mark Grimmette, Brian Martin (USA)

After 11 of 86 events:

Country #G #S #B T

Austria 3 1 2 6

United States 2 0 2 4

Switzerland 1 2 2 5

Canada 1 1 1 3

Italy 1 1 0 2

Norway 1 0 1 2

China 1 0 0 1

Japan 1 0 0 1

France 0 3 1 4

Germany 0 2 0 2

Australia 0 1 0 1

Poland 0 0 1 1

Ukraine 0 0 1 1

Alpine Skiing

Men's Downhill:

G: John Kucera (CAN)

S: Didier Cuche (SUI)

B: Carlo Janka (SUI)

4: Marco Büchel (LIE)

5: Adrien Théaux (FRA)

6: Hermann Maier (AUT)

7: Werner Heel (ITA)

8: Bode Miller (USA)

After 12 of 86 events:

Country #G #S #B T

Austria 3 1 2 6

Canada 2 1 1 5

United States 2 0 2 4

Switzerland 1 3 3 7

Italy 1 1 0 2

Norway 1 0 1 2

China 1 0 0 1

Japan 1 0 0 1

France 0 3 1 4

Germany 0 2 0 2

Australia 0 1 0 1

Poland 0 0 1 1

Ukraine 0 0 1 1

TSN is already keeping track of Canada's Podium finishes this season. We're already at 109 medals won this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/feature/?id=117...topRelated_main

Podium Tracker

As Canadian athletes gear up for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, TSN is tracking their progress. The following is a list of podium finishes by Canadian athletes on the World Cup or Grand Prix circuits in Olympic events during the 2008-2009 season. Podium finishes are separated by discipline and listed chronologically.

Overall Medals as of February 7, 2009

Gold Silver Bronze Total

31 38 40 109

Alpine Skiing

Women's Downhill

G: Lindsey Vonn (USA)

S: Lara Gut (SUI)

B: Nadia Fanchini (ITA)

4: Elisabeth Görgl (AUT)

5: Marion Rolland (FRA)

6: Marie Marchand-Arvier (FRA)

7: Andrea Fischbacher (AUT)

8: Wendy Siorpaes (ITA)

Men's Super Combined

G: Aksel Lund Svindal (NOR)

S: Julien Lizeroux (FRA)

B: Natko Zrnčić-Dim (CRO)

4: Silvan Zurbriggen (SUI)

5: Peter Fill (ITA)

=6: Sandro Viletta (SUI)

=6: Thomas Mermillod Blondin (FRA)

8: Romed Baumann

Luge

Men's Single

G: Felix Loch (GER)

S: Armin Zöggeler (ITA)

B: Daniel Pfister (AUT)

Also, Germany won the team relay ahead of Austria and Latvia. The Luge team relay was one of the events that was considered to be added for Vancouver 2010 but it was ultimately rejected.

After 15 of 86 events:

Country #G #S #B T

Austria 3 1 3 7

United States 3 0 2 5

Canada 2 1 1 5

Norway 2 0 1 3

Switzerland 1 4 3 8

Italy 1 2 1 4

Germany 1 2 0 3

China 1 0 0 1

Japan 1 0 0 1

France 0 4 1 5