30th Anniversary - Montreal 1976

They were a wonderful games overall and the first that I ever followed closely.

Congrats to Montreal and Quebec for finally paying off "The Big Owe!" :D

1976-Olympic-Stadium-Montreal.jpg

well at least everything is paid off now, and hopefully we will see a WOG with Quebec in the future...

I think Montreal, along with several other Olympics will always serve as a vital lesson to all future cities on how to not handle the budget/financing of an Olympic Games, as LA showed how to finance one properly and how to come away making a profit, as Munich showed us the need for tight security, as Atlanta showed us how commercialization should be kept down, and how most recently Athens showed us the need for preparation and planning....these Olympic Games, like Montreal, will always serve as a pivotal example for all future hosts

I remember reading something that they want to tear down the Olympic Stadium and build a 50,000 seat stadium

We talked about it on here about a year ago. Montreal got bids to see what it would cost to tear it down and it was going to be in the hundred of millions of dollars. They can't implode it because of the tower/biosphere/pool is attached and because of the way it is built, it would take several years to tear it down the conventional way.

In the late 90's they were going to build a 50,000 seat stadium for the Expos downtown but of course, there is no need for that now.

• 5 months later...

Officially, you guys jumped the gun in celebrating that. It was just mentioned yesterday, in a CBC article I posted in the Past Bids forum, that is now gone for good.

Archived