Hamilton eyes 2014 Commonwealth Games

Apple

‘Let’s go for it’ sentiment expressed by city councillors

City council will be asked to endorse the first step in another bid for the Commonwealth Games this morning, a process that begins Friday with a deadline for letters of intent.

If city council endorses the bid, then the city would officially establish a new bid team, where the major partners would once again be the City of Hamilton, McMaster University and The Hamilton Spectator.

Tourism Hamilton executive director David Adames and Spectator Publisher Jagoda Pike will make the presentation to council today. Pike was chair of the 2010 bid.

“I’m very optimistic,” she said yesterday. “We have the benefit now of having gone through this once and learned an awful lot. We’re very keen to launch

Hamilton’s bid for 2014.”

A new bid for the Commonwealth Games appears likely to receive the support of city council today when municipal politicians consider endorsing Hamilton’s official candidacy for the 2014 Games.

Having come so close in its bid for the 2010 Games, which eventually were awarded to New Delhi, India, councillors who spoke to The Spectator said they were eager to see Hamilton make use of what its bid team learned last time around.

“I think we’ll have a better chance,” said Ancaster Councillor Murray Ferguson.

“We know what we’re doing a little better. We basically have the same team in place. We know how the politics are played at the decision-making level.”

Ferguson knows there will be naysayers, but believes strongly that hosting the Games could bring significant improvements to the city, and he is eager to see the city take another run at playing host.

“I say go for it,” he said. “I think it’s an excellent way to promote the city, I think it’s an excellent way to leverage federal and provincial money. “I think it’s an excellent way to renew, revitalize and build new infrastructure in the city. I think the legacy is huge. Just look at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.”

Similarly, east Hamilton Councillor Sam Merulla is going into today’s session feeling “cautiously optimistic.”

“I’m supporting it at this preliminary stage,” he said. “We were the runner-up last time, and I think that we deserve the Games this time.”

Downtown Councillor Bob Bratina said he has faith in the bid organizers.

“I think they’re smart and they know what they’re doing. I don’t think they’d take us down a path that didn’t have possibilities, or even probabilities,” Bratina said.

Bratina said losing the 2010 bid should not make the city cautious about trying again.

“You’ve got to get over it and move on,” he said. “Just because you didn’t win the Grey Cup last year doesn’t mean you’re not going to win it this year.”

Art Samson, representing Dundas, said the previous bid could and should be a strong foundation for a new run at the Games.

“I think that most of the material is in place and we should give it another go,” he said yesterday. “It should be much easier. Many of the things are in place and the principal participants are ready to go.”

Ward 3 Councillor Bernie Morelli said he would be prepared to get behind another bid, provided it fit responsibly with the city’s budgetary priorities and stood a reasonable chance of success.

“This time, I think, it’s, ‘Let’s go for it,’ but only if we feel really strongly that we have a shot and that the financial circumstances are going to make good sense for this community.”

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Games: Ticat owner add to city profile

I know what you’re thinking. Here we go again, courting heartache with another run at the showcase Hamilton invented in 1930.

And why, I’m sure you’re asking, would a second try for the 80-nation showcase, this time for 2014, be any different?

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. If city council backs a letter of intent to pursue the Games, and they should, Hamilton must again defeat Halifax and perhaps other suitors at the domestic bidding stage.

That’s no slam-dunk.

But Steeltown’s profile looks stronger this time around for several reasons, most of all Tiger-Cat owner Bob Young.

The previous Ticat owners, too busy trying to keep the franchise upright, had scant interest in the 2010 bid three years ago.

Young is “very interested in whatever the city bids for” with specific interest in the Commonwealth Games, which means a new stadium if the bid group could get the ball over the goal-line this time.

“I don’t profess to be an expert on the Commonwealth Games,” said Young, adding he still believes strongly the 2014 events would be a huge boost for Hamilton.

“Obviously there wouldn’t be a lot of track and field events after the Games; the city would want to use it for football and other events.”

This shouldn’t be taken as Young and the Ticats swanning in on the heels of a successful bid to enjoy a new home.

Young has shown in the way he’s conducted business with the football club that he isn’t interested in charity.

If there is a benefit to the Tiger-Cats, you can expect the forceful new marketing arm of the franchise to be a big boon to the bid.

It’s only good business for the club to be putting its broad shoulders behind the Games quest.

“The best economic model in the Canadian Football League is the Edmonton Eskimos,” said Young.

“They were involved with the 1978 Commonwealth Games and have been active in many other sports events there.”

See, it’s pretty much a no-brainer for Young. Using the football club’s brand, skills and clout for major events benefits everyone.

David Adames, executive director of Tourism Hamilton, will point to the Tiger-Cats and other new candidates for partnership in a Games bid when he addresses city council today.

He’ll also stress that all the work of city staff that went into the 2010 bid would be squandered if it was not put to use again this time around.

Adames says he senses a positive feeling among council members to another shot at the Games but expects there will be some financial concerns expressed.

Some members may still harbour the deep disappointment of the city’s loss to New Delhi, India, for the 2010 showcase.

The very loose rules surrounding that vote have been addressed, a condition McMaster University has placed upon its partnership this time.

McMaster and the private sector represented by The Hamilton Spectator are committed to another try for the Games for the same reasons as the 2010 initiative.

The events would put the city on the global map and there would be new and upgraded sports and recreation facilities to serve generations of elite and recreational athletes, construction the city sorely needs but cannot afford.

The economic surge would be dramatic with other levels of government investing $500 million in Hamilton to play host to the Commonwealth world.

Hamilton City Council has just approved a bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Hamilton is offically in.

Vote was

10 Yea

1 Nay

:D Sweet! :D

At least there will be a Commonwealth Games in 2014!

AS USUALL someone always votes no, mainly just to be a stir monger, ie the elderly voters bloc or the spend it all on public transport bloc! :angry: meanies!

The lone opposition is from Councillor Margaret McCarthy.

She's a total hardcore lefty and completely selfish. She represents a suburban riding and always votes against any inner city development.

Her opposition is that the 2010 bid would cost the city 80-million dollars, while recreational facilities in Flamborough (her riding) are "being held together with string and duct tape". But ah wouldn't you think hmmm a 2014 Games would help to fund those recreational facilities?. Dumbass lol

The lone opposition is from Councillor Margaret McCarthy.

She's a total hardcore lefty and completely selfish.

....Dumbass lol

:D Nuff said... :D

Okay now that Hamilton is placing a bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games I thought I post some pictures of my hometown, Hamilton, and give some basic information about the city since I know some people here has never heard of the city before, well if your a sport freak you probably only know that Hamilton was the first city to host the Commonwealth Games.

Okay so the low down on Hamilton is that it's a manufacturing city which has increasingly become smaller. Hamilton has a huge health sector the biggest is the Hamilton Health Sciences which is the city largest employer, 5 hospitals, 4 research facilities and a couple of other health clinics. Then there's Stelco and Dofasco which are steel companies, which has giving the city the nickname of Steeltown.

There are 3 different post secondary institutions in Hamilton, McMaster University, Mohawk College and Redeemer University College. All three will play a role if Hamilton is awarded the Games especially McMaster University.

Also Hamilton is right smack in the middle between Toronto and Niagara Falls.

Hamilton is also known for having huge natural scenery. The Niagara Escarpment (a small mountain) cuts Hamilton into two parts, Lower and Upper Hamilton. The city is also known as "City of Waterfalls" since Hamilton has well over 80 different waterfalls, tried to get on World Genesis Record for having the most waterfalls in the world but they refused to expect it.

So now I'll show some pictures of Hamilton and just to be fair I’ll include the bad side of Hamilton. I do photography on my own time so here are two panoramic pictures.

Hamilton's skyline

skyline2.jpg

McMaster University campus ground (notice the background that looks like a mountain? That's the Niagara Escarpment)

mcmaster2.jpg

The ugly side of Hamilton, steel factories

89055223.jpg

The last big sporting event hosted in Hamilton was the Road World Cycling Championships in 2003, a big success. Hamilton was awarded the event because it was a challenging course because of the Niagara Escarpment, going up and down the mountain. This was the first time to have the World Cycling Championships in a urban setting.

1961start-finish2.jpg

2k3worlds_emrr003.jpg

2k3worlds_emrr015.jpg

Okay nuff about Hamilton. Hopefully you have a better understanding of the city.

Hamilton lines up for 2014 Games run

Commonwealth bid could cost $400,000

Hamilton will spend up to $400,000 competing to be the Canadian bidder for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

City taxpayers will ante up as much as $275,000 to be added to $65,000 left over from the campaign for the 2010 Games, which were won by Delhi, India.

The total for the new effort is $66,000 less than the budget for the 2010 domestic bid.

The Hamilton Spectator, McMaster University, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Fluke Transport/Fox 40 and other partners have already pledged $60,000 and may raise more to support the bid preparation.

Council voted 10-1 to go ahead yesterday, with Flamborough Councillor Margaret McCarthy the only opponent. Five councillors were on vacation.

McCarthy said she feared benefits would flow mainly to the old city of Hamilton while her constituents must make do with recreational facilities “held together with duct tape and string.”

Mayor Larry Di Ianni said he was confident of Hamilton’s chances “if we enhance what we did last time.”

Spectator Publisher Jagoda Pike, who is again leading the bid effort, said Hamilton “knew less than zero” when it started last time, but now has experience, early private-sector support and an international reputation.

“We already have a leg up on any city in Canada, including Halifax.”

Halifax, runner-up to Hamilton in the contest to be Canada’s bidder last time, is the only declared contender for 2014.

But Toronto, York Region and Calgary are reportedly considering entries before Friday’s deadline.

If Hamilton is again chosen, it will likely be challenging Glasgow, Scotland, and possibly cities in South Africa and Nigeria.

David Adames, executive director of Tourism Hamilton, said the council vote authorizes staff to establish a committee to draft a domestic bid to be submitted by Nov. 1. Whichever Canadian city is picked in December will have to prepare an international bid by May 2007.

The Commonwealth Games Federation General Assembly will meet in November 2007 to select a host for the 2014 event.

Pike said the Hamilton team had “learned immeasurably, both about how to embark on the domestic phase as well as how to win internationally.”

McMaster president Peter George said “If we don’t compete, then of course Halifax or Toronto will have it over us.”

He also said he’d heard “internationally the sentiment among some members of the Commonwealth is that they owe Hamilton one.”

In response to a question from McCarthy about the recent suicide bombings in London, Di Ianni said to hesitate over fear of terrorism would be a victory for terrorists.

Pike said the new committee “can’t simply rip pages from the last (bid) book,” but will have to come up with new strategies and a new budget reflecting increased costs for steel, fuel and other goods.

For 2010, Hamilton forecast a budget of $716 million, with a city portion of $80 million. Adames said yesterday the event would have an economic impact of $1.4 billion, bringing Hamilton more than $630 million in federal, provincial and private-sector investment.

That would include $400 million in sport-related facilities, among them a new stadium and renewal of playing fields, parks and arenas.

Joe Rinaldo, general manager of finance and corporate services, said the Hamilton Future Fund would have $50 million available for investment by 2010 and another $30 million by 2014 if the board of governors does not allocate money to other projects in 2010.

George said McMaster’s new stadium is designed to accommodate extra, temporary seating, its new athletic complex is being built to accommodate addition of a high-performance training and testing centre, and the campus will have one or even two more residences by 2014.

Council agreed with a call from Ward 1’s Brian McHattie to add social services and sustainability staff to the bid-support group. That would ensure needs for social housing and poverty reduction are addressed in the final proposal.

Ward 7 Councillor Bill Kelly said Hamilton would be a much different city in 2014, with a greater population and more development along the bayfront.

“It’s going to be a very vibrant city, well on its way to being one of the greatest cities in this country again.”

He also said much of the needed $80 million or more would have to be spent on city facilities even if the Games are not held here.

I think its great being so early in the bid process Hamilton is getting so many private sector participation already.

-------------------------------------------

You bet we can, just watch us

Wider private-sector participation gives Hamilton leg up in bid for ’14 Games

It could be a crowded field when the gun goes off Friday to start the race for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

But Hamilton will have a leg up on competitors from Halifax, possibly Calgary and York Region, as well as other interested cities, bid officials say.

“There’s an incredible learning curve with bids like this and we know the pitfalls and the focus required,” said 2010 bid leader Jagoda Pike yesterday after city council backed the 2014 initiative.

Pike, publisher of The Hamilton Spectator, was referring to the kind of international experience an evaluation team will look for when it assesses bids in the domestic competition.

That team will look at who can win the 2014 showcase and “we made a huge positive impression at the international level and would start with momentum.”

Pike said “last time it was ‘can we do it?’, now it’s ‘you bet we can, just watch us.’”

Hamilton lost the 2010 bid to sentimental favourite, Delhi, India, but has standing now on the global stage that other Canadian contenders don’t.

Halifax, the only other confirmed bid for the domestic nod, believes its experience in staging the women’s and junior world hockey championships positions its bid favourably.

A report in a Toronto newspaper indicated groups in Calgary and York Region, north of Toronto, were considering bids.

Tom Jones, CEO of Commonwealth Games Canada, said there was interest from a half-dozen groups.

“It’s a good sign that there’s more than one or two parties interested and they represent all regions of the country.”

Interested groups need to file a letter of intent Friday. Formal bid documents must be filed Nov. 1 and the Canadian candidate will be named in December.

The Hamilton bid group has the principal parties from 2010 — the City of Hamilton, McMaster University and The Hamilton Spectator, plus the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Ron Foxcroft’s companies, Fluke Transport and Fox40, this time.

The wider private-sector participation here could outdistance support in Halifax, which suffered in losing to Hamilton three years ago because its bid was dominated by government backing.

Still, McMaster University president Peter George anticipated a hard battle at the domestic stage. After that, he felt whoever represents Canada will have an easier time this go around.

“There is a certain amount of sympathy because of the way the vote went against Hamilton last time.”

Voting for the 2010 host nation was marred by large financial incentives from India in the final two days of the bid process.

That process is being reformed. And George noted a rotation of the emerging countries with established ones favours Canada.

“It was in Kuala Lumpur, then Manchester, now Melbourne in 2006 and Delhi in 2010. Glasgow wants it for 2014 but with London getting the Olympics in 2012 and Manchester so recent, it is not likely to be awarded to the U.K. this time.”

He added that South Africa, which had shown interest in the 2014 Games, is probably out of the running after winning the 2010 World Cup of soccer.

George said the addition of the Tiger-Cats gave the Hamilton bid a new dimension with the reborn franchise’s ability to mobilize support.

Ticat president David Sauve said the obvious appeal to the team is the prospect of a new stadium, but it went beyond that.

“It’s what we can do to make this a better city. And the Games would do that. You’d have a billion people watching you, new sports and recreational facilities and so many opportunities for people here. We’ll support the bid any way we can.”

David Adames, who made the Games’ pitch to city council, said other large forces are mobilizing behind the bid.

The executive director of Tourism Hamilton said Hamilton Health Sciences, the city’s largest employer, has indicated support. That means the weight of great numbers in an industry that will play very well in the domestic bid.

“Health and wellness is an important part of the equation,” said Adames, noting the federal government, the key funding agent, will demand benefits in that field as a legacy of the Games.

Okay there's some local stuff on those articles that some outsider probably don't understand.

The Hamilton Future Fund is a fund where the city puts money into each year. Every year the city takes money out of the fund to build projects such as new parks, new wave pool so on. If Hamilton is awarded the games than the Hamilton Future Fund will be used to fund the Games.

Hamilton Spectator – a local newspaper company, a past Hamilton Spectator editor M. M. "Bobby" Robinson was the guy who brought the Games to Hamilton. So in a way the Hamilton Spectator helped created the Commonwealth Games.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats - local football team that's owned by Bob Young, new owner since 2004. He owns lulu.com and Red Hat, computer geek millionaire.

Fluke Transport - big trucking company that's owned by Ron Foxcroft.

Fox 40 - is the pea-less whistle invented by Ron Foxcroft. Fox 40 whistle is executively used in the NFL, NBA, CFL, the Olympics so on. So every time you blow on a whistle your blowing on Hamilton  :upside: It's all made in Hamilton.

Hamilton Health Sciences - huge health company that owns 5 different hospitals in the city and a couple of research facilities.

Hamilton in Commonwealth Games race

Hamilton is off and running in the race to land the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Politicians dropped the flag, allowing Tourism Hamilton executive director David Adames to submit a letter of intent to Commonwealth Games Canada July 22 that Hamilton is willing to become the Canadian host for the games.

Councillors also endorsed the official creation of a Hamilton bid committee and to spend up to $400,000 for the bid effort.

"If we don't compete, of course, Calgary or Toronto will have it over us," said Dr. Peter George, president of McMaster University, who was on the 2002 bid committee that narrowly lost the 2010 Commonwealth Games for Hamilton to New Delhi, India.

The city will spend $275,000 in new dollars to launch the bid, take $65,000 in surplus funds from the 2010 Commonwealth Games fund and use $60,000 expected to be contributed by the private sector.

For the international part of the bid process, it could cost the city about $1.4 million, the same amount as the city spent in 2002.

Mayor Larry Di Ianni was an enthusiastic supporter of going after the games again. He pointed to Manchester, England, which hosted the games in 2002, where the games revitalized a previously abandoned industrialized area.

"It was something that struck me and resonated with me," he said. "Think of what $600 million to $700 million will inject into this community?"

Ancaster councillor Murray Ferguson said by 2014 Hamilton could be a very different community than it is now. With plans continuing to develop the waterfront; the movement to create an aerotropolis in Ancaster and the redevelopment projects on the drawing boards for downtown Hamilton, hosting the Commonwealth Games could culminate in the city's renaissance, he said.

This is the right time, said Hamilton councillor Sam Merulla, to chase an event that will have significant benefits to the community.

"We are not being radical," he said. "We need to look beyond our borders."

Joe Rinaldo, general manager of corporate services, said Hamilton's financial situation will "continue to improve" until 2014.

Based upon figures from the Manchester games, Mr. Adames said Hamilton could enjoy an economic injection of about $1.4 billion; federal and provincial financial contributions of more than $630 million; $400 million in sports facilities upgrades; new jobs and an enhanced city image from hosting the global event.

The Manchester games also created about 6,100 full-time jobs.

"This could become the sports hub of Ontario and Canada," said Mr. Adames.

Mr. George, who blamed the awarding of the games to India on politics, said Hamilton has better facilities to impress games officials. McMaster University will have a new stadium and two new residences constructed by 2014.

"Our strength will be on our technical bid," he said.

Hamilton's experience in 2002 will also serve well when going up against accomplished international lobbyists, said Hamilton Spectator publish Jagoda Pike, who is returning to participate in a games bid. There will also be private sector support for this games, while there was limited involvement from private business in 2002, she said.

"Our international experience will be invaluable," she said. "The momentum is there. I call it hitting the sweet spot."

Mr. Adames and the other Commonwealth Games officials were upbeat Hamilton could win the bidding process this time around.

"I don't go into this to lose," said Mr. George.

The games were originally called the British Empire Games and created by Hamilton Spectator sportswriter M.M. Robinson.

http://www.stoneycreeknews.com/NASApp....6868401

• 4 weeks later...

Untendered hiring made to companies to assist city with Commonwealth bid

The Hamilton Commonwealth 2014 Bid Team is being cobbled together for an initial cost of almost $170,000.

Hamilton councillors approved last week hiring without a tender consultants McMahon and Associates, Cannon Johnston, Scott Koblyk and Trish Chant for $167,500 to assist the city's Commonwealth Bid team submit a formal application to host the 2014 games by Nov. 1, 2005.

McMahon and Associates developed the financial plan for the 2010 bid, while Cannon Johnston crafted the facilities proposal. The other two consultants provide creative advice.

David Adames, executive director of Tourism Hamilton, said all four consultants helped the city in its bid to host the 2010 games.

The money will be taken from the $400,000 budget politicians recently created to pursue the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/NASApp....6868360

• 3 weeks later...
Knock yourself out, Hamilton. Calgary will not compete for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Too expensive and "idiot promoters" were the chief reasons for withdrawing the bid.

I'm surprised these threads haven't been shifted over to the dedicated Commonwealth Games forum.

:) I had my thread posted over to the CWG site by asking the Moderator with the "report this to the moderator" heading.

I'll ask to have this one moved but I think the original tread creator has to do it themselves.

:;):

I'm surprised these threads haven't been shifted over to the dedicated Commonwealth Games forum.

:) I had my thread posted over to the CWG site by asking the Moderator with the "report this to the moderator" heading.

I'll ask to have this one moved but I think the original tread creator has to do it themselves.

:;):

:) Must've worked!

Might as well show you the campuses at McMaster University

Sick Children Hospital & McMaster Health Science. This is where the medical team will be at if Hamilton's win the Commonwealth bid

mcmaster016.jpg

Hamilton Hall

mcmaster019.jpg

University Hall

mcmaster020.jpg

Student Centre from outside

mcmaster025.jpg

View of inside of the Student Centre

mcmaster021.jpg

Future location of the sports complex

mcmaster022.jpg

Track field