Eurovision Song Contest 2012

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first ever Eurovision Song Contest winner, Lys Assia, is bidding for a ticket to Baku 57 years after her first participation and triumph in the contest. Along with Ralph Siegel and Jean Paul Cara they submitted a song titled “C’était ma vie”

Listen to the song here: http://www.oikotimes.com/eurovision/2011/09/29/lys-assia-heads-for-baku/

Indeed Dusseldorf did a grand job with this year's Contest. I expect Baku will be like Istanbul: nothing to be ashamed of, but not of the calibre that Helsinki, Moscow, Oslo or Dusseldorf produced.

I'm happy with the voting the way it is--especially how they sequenced the final's voting to maximize suspense.

I'm still trying to figure out how Lithuania qualified and didn't finish last in the final. I mean, she's a great singer, but the song? The frock? Oy!

BTW I'm continuing my goal of visting every European capital in November. I'm hitting Warsaw, Vilnius and Riga. And Amsterdam, which I've been to many times.

Or, as I like to think of them "To nie ja", "Strazdas" and "Probka". And "Ik hou van jou."

:)

I'm still trying to figure out how Lithuania qualified and didn't finish last in the final. I mean, she's a great singer, but the song? The frock? Oy!

LOL - I agree, how did you like the Georgian entry?

I think this song was totally underated in the voting - I like it a lot - a very nice pop song - by the way at 02:13 (on the right edge of the pic where the Danish flags are waved was my seat - no 20m away from the main stage)

Well done getting on cam! :)

I think Estonia was let down by the backup singers and the choreography--looked sloppy with the run back to the stage (like Safuuuura did last year). Great fun song though and I think Getter Jaani is s atar, if not an amazing singer.

Eldrine was a total rip-off of Evanenscence, but for what it was it was well performed. I'm glad she got the Barbara Dex Award--I voted for "her". :)

I loved Austria, but she oversang badly in the final. Loved Italy. Loved UK too and even eventually warmed up to Jedward, a/k/a the eejits. :D

This year would be a dream with: Katie Melua for Georgia, Leona Lewis for the UK, and Nelly Furtado for Portugal ;)

LOL - I agree, how did you like the Georgian entry?

I think this song was totally underated in the voting - I like it a lot - a very nice pop song - by the way at 02:13 (on the right edge of the pic where the Danish flags are waved was my seat - no 20m away from the main stage)

I think Estonia was let down by the backup singers and the choreography--looked sloppy with the run back to the stage (like Safuuuura did last year). Great fun song though and I think Getter Jaani is s atar, if not an amazing singer.

yeah - that run off the stage and back was strange - the Danish guy did that much better...

Eldrine was a total rip-off of Evanenscence, but for what it was it was well performed. I'm glad she got the Barbara Dex Award--I voted for "her". :)

lol - I agree, it was totally "Evanenscence" and I agree further she "deserved" the Barbara Dex Award!!!

I loved Austria, but she oversang badly in the final. Loved Italy. Loved UK too and even eventually warmed up to Jedward, a/k/a the eejits. :D

I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of Austria before I listen to it during the final - I think her performance was so solemn - it just blew me away - it sounded so well in the arena!!!

Italy was a fantastic song and I was astonished that it did so well (that must had been a result of 50% jury/ 50% televoting) - I was slightly dissapointed about the result for the UK, but I think one singer had a bad day (his voice was strange at that evening) - Jedward: both are very, very, very, very "mediocre" singers, but I really like the song - it is fun (the studio version is much better than the live version) - they "rocked" the arena - at the pride parades it was one of the most played songs here in Germany

A new song from Getter Jaani - Ebareaalne (Unrealistic)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! As you may know I am coming from Azerbaijan and I am also an ESC fan myself already for more than 10 years :D Let me briefly inform you on what is going on in Baku now

1. ESC 2012 VENUE

As you may heard there are three options for ESC venue:

- Sport & Concert Complex named after Heydar Aliyev (7800 seats)

- Tofig Bahramov Stadium (32 000 seats)

- Baku Crystal Hall (25 000 seats)

The only ready one out of those three is Sport & Concert Complex named after Heydar Aliyev (Plan C) while the other two needs to be either reconstructed or constructed.

A very good signal right after the victory at ESC was reconstruction of Tofig Bahramov Stadium which needed it much. U/R stadium will be enlargened and will be covered with a roof. Although the stadium is still considered as plan B

Baku Crystal Hall

First of all it is worth to mention that regardless they finish it until May or later this arena will serve as the main sport & concert venue of Baku. At the same time the project is considered as plan A venue for ESC 2012. The construction works are carried out by consortium of Alpine Baku Deutschland GmbH (Germany) and Nüssli (Switzerland). All the works are expected to be finished in April 2012.

The shape of Baku Crystal Hall will be very similar to these sport venues proposed for Universiade 2011 in Chinese city of Shenzhen. The difference of Baku Crystal Hall is that it will have a roof and the crystal-shape facade part will not be made out of glass but a special metal material. Further, there gonna be a smaller hall for the representatives of media to build right next to the main venue.

By and large our arena will be very similar to the ones proposed for Universiade 2011 in Shenzhen.

Here are the renderings of the venue which was proposed for Shenzhen

dezeen_Universiade-2011-sports-center-by-von-Gerkan-Marg-and-Partners_11.jpg

dezeen_Universiade-2011-sports-center-by-von-Gerkan-Marg-and-Partners_7.jpg

dezeen_Universiade-2011-sports-center-by-von-Gerkan-Marg-and-Partners_10.jpg

Here is construction update as of October 2012

03.jpg

04.jpg

thanks Galandar - I appreciate your posts here...

I am so much looking forward to Baku next year - I am a huge ESC fan since 1976 and Düsseldorf 2011 was the first one, which I saw live...

I had a fantastic seat (not 20 m away from the stage) and I will go to Baku when I got such of those proposed travel packages from the Azerbaijani travel agency

2. The area around Baku Crystal Hall

Most of the parts of Baku are either under construction or under reconstruction. Right after Azerbaijan gained the victory at ESC 2011 and Baku was announced as the host city for 2012 edition many urban development projects revived. In this sense it is important to tell about the area called Bailovo where the National Flag Square is located and where Baku Crystal Hall will be situated.

Here is the list of works being done in Bailovo:

- Expansion of seaside boulevard for additional 2 km from the existing part near Palace of Hand Games until National Flag Square. This territory was home for Soviet-time prison and shipyard both of which were recently moved to new buildings outside downtown Baku. Note: Currently Baku seaside boulevard is 3.6 km long

- Construction of a brand new 8-lane highway parallel to the existing road from the Palace of Hand Games to Bailovo. Construction of four underground pedestrians on it.

- Refurbishment of a number of buildings in Bailovo around National Flag Square and increase in a number of small and mid size hotels around that territory.

Ongoing xpansion works of seaside boulevard and construction of 8-lane highway

All the works are expected to be finished until May 2012.

thanks Galandar - I appreciate your posts here...

I am so much looking forward to Baku next year - I am a huge ESC fan since 1976 and Düsseldorf 2011 was the first one, which I saw live...

I had a fantastic seat (not 20 m away from the stage) and I will go to Baku when I got such of those proposed travel packages from the Azerbaijani travel agency

I was also at ESC 2011 and I shared my front sit with other colleagues from OGAE Azerbaijan :) I wish you visit Baku 2012. I will be there for two weeks so in case you need any assistance please let me know. I will try my best to help you.

From now on I will keep on updating you on ESC related developments and news in Azerbaijan, stay tuned ;)

It would be nice to get to know Baku/Azerbaijan a little bit better - I mean do you have national dishes, which you should try when you are in Baku - or what do young people in Baku in the evening? Do they go dancing or into pubs etc. etc.

I think a few general information about Baku/Azerbaijan would be good for the 2020 Olympic bid too - it would be great if you can post such information here or in the Baku2020 threads (maybe its better in the Baku 2020 thread)

It would be nice to get to know Baku/Azerbaijan a little bit better - I mean do you have national dishes, which you should try when you are in Baku - or what do young people in Baku in the evening? Do they go dancing or into pubs etc. etc.

I think a few general information about Baku/Azerbaijan would be good for the 2020 Olympic bid too - it would be great if you can post such information here or in the Baku2020 threads (maybe its better in the Baku 2020 thread)

That would be a bit too specific issues to discuss :) I would rather suggest to visit the tourist information desk at OGAE Azerbaijan website http://en.ogae.az/turist I assume there you could find answers to many questions you have

I was also at ESC 2011 and I shared my front sit with other colleagues from OGAE Azerbaijan :) I wish you visit Baku 2012. I will be there for two weeks so in case you need any assistance please let me know. I will try my best to help you.

From now on I will keep on updating you on ESC related developments and news in Azerbaijan, stay tuned ;)

:)

I might I saw you - I was in the fourth row of block "I" (that was the block directly on the link between the main stage and the little "satellite" stage)- and I saw a lot of Azerbaijani flags directly on the right side of the stage...

That would be great - I tried to book a hotel right after Azerbaijan won, but that was nearly impossible on German hotel websites - I was very glad when I hear that the Azerbaijan Travel Agency will offer travel packages including hotel (I hope that this informaiton is true) - this package is interesting due the accomodation - I work for a huge German airline and so the flights are a minor problem - and the tickets won't be aproblem either, since I am in the German ESC-club, which is member of the OGAE, too...

That would be a bit too specific issues to discuss :) I would rather suggest to visit the tourist information desk at OGAE Azerbaijan website http://en.ogae.az/turist I assume there you could find answers to many questions you have

oh wow - thanks for the link - I have bookmarked it - I will take a look later, since I have to go to bed - I have to work tomorrow and its already 01:00 am in Germany (it must be 03:00 am in BAku right now)

oh wow - thanks for the link - I have bookmarked it - I will take a look later, since I have to go to bed - I have to work tomorrow and its already 01:00 am in Germany (it must be 03:00 am in BAku right now)

Yeah, there is 3 hours difference between Azerbaijan and Germany :) Good night!

In other news, I have decided to not attend Eurovision this year. Too far to go and not very excited about Azerbaijan hosting. It's all about Melfest this year for me. Just got tickets for the final in Stockholm. :D (elated)

News: Former Eurovision winner Dana, will soon find out if her bid to become the President of Ireland has been successful with Presedential elections taking place today.

Good Luck Dana!

Archived