Staying In Vancouver

I am coming to Vancouver for the games. Got my tickets - I got Opening Ceremony - YAY!

Any suggestions on somewhere good to stay? I am after somewhere fairly cheap, fairly central and not very plush. Not after dorm hostel but maybe one up from that (single room in a hostel/cheap hotel)

Any suggestions please send them this way!

I am coming to Vancouver for the games. Got my tickets - I got Opening Ceremony - YAY!

Any suggestions on somewhere good to stay? I am after somewhere fairly cheap, fairly central and not very plush. Not after dorm hostel but maybe one up from that (single room in a hostel/cheap hotel)

Any suggestions please send them this way!

i heard that hte ywca is a nice inexpensive place to stay. http://www.ywcahotel.com/ a friend stayed there and spoke highly of it.

anything is better than the hostel i stayed that. it was pretty awful, but made for a good story later.

i heard that hte ywca is a nice inexpensive place to stay. http://www.ywcahotel.com/ a friend stayed there and spoke highly of it.

anything is better than the hostel i stayed that. it was pretty awful, but made for a good story later.

That where I'll be staying for the games. I think you might be a little slow on the draw if you're still trying to get in there, but a phone call can't hurt. My friend and I are paying $118 a night, which can't be beat considering the location.

My reservation are booked since last november.

Youth Hostel at 105$CAN/night during the games

Lot cheaper that what I got in Beijing (150$US/night)

Here's the link :

http://www.hihostels.ca/PM/en/vancouverhos...px?sortcode=2.4

Only problem : maximum of 7 night

Since they have three locations : I booked 7 nights at Central, 7 nights at Downtown and 3 nights at Jericho Beach

The one at Central (1025 Granville St.) is only few blocks away (walking distance) of BC Place

At the three locations, I got a private room with two beds.

Thanks for the advice. I stayed in the YWCA when I was last in Vancouver and forgot about it. It is a great place and so central! I'm in for my stay! Lucky they still have some room left.

Vancouver is costing more than Beijing - I guess I am paying for staying centrally. But I want to be at the heart of the action!

Thanks for the advice. I stayed in the YWCA when I was last in Vancouver and forgot about it. It is a great place and so central! I'm in for my stay! Lucky they still have some room left.

Nice! What kind of room did you get, what is the rate?

Thanks!

Kirk

I got a private for the whole games at about $CAN150 per night. Not mega-cheap, but for the location and standard of accommodation I dont think it can be beaten - I've done a lot of checking!

I got a private for the whole games at about $CAN150 per night. Not mega-cheap, but for the location and standard of accommodation I dont think it can be beaten - I've done a lot of checking!

Yah, considering most hotels were looking for thousands of dollars per person, per week...getting $150/night for the whole games is pretty good.

As I said, I'm paying $118 there, but its for a semi-private room. There are actually 4 of us going, two rooms, so that works out fine, as we should be able to just have the shared bathroom between our two rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

naturally, I'll be staying at the ShangriLa. Arriving a day late however. Will probably watch the opening in Barbados( if they will show it down there on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Channel), then fly to Montego Bay, LA then Vancouver 2010. I'll have to get my flu vaccine just to be safe.

Want to thank you guys for the great tip about the Downtown YWCA. I called them on Tuesday and was able to book a Double Bedded Room with private bath for the great (Olympic) rate of $156. They still have some very limited availability if anyone is looking for a central location. This hotel has fabulous reviews on the TripAdvisor.com website and received TripAdvisor's 2009 "Best Bargain" awards. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, do I have a major problem.

I have my tickets purchased and ready to go. That's the good news, the bad news is I cannot find any accommodations, anywhere. I've tried and tried everything, and so far everything is booked, although the 2 locales that do have rooms left are asking 10 grand for a 19 day stay, and I don't have that kind of money.

So it's entirely possible that I may have to sleep on the streets when I get to Van. That's not what I want, but I may have no other choice, since there is nothing available at all.

Is there anything I can do, or should I get ready for hypothermia?