Crane Topples Over In Manhatten!

:unsure: OMG I hope the death toll isn't too high!! Condolences to the families of loved ones lost

A Twenty Story high construction crane has collapsed into a neighbouring street and flattened a build on it's way down.

Most residents could see the event was going to happen, one siting the site had over 30 violations since 2006 posted against it. What made it worse was Mayor Bloomberg almost flicking the violations off as "normal for a construction of that size"

One resident said the construction workers were being "driven hard" by developers, sadly typical of this boom time we are all in.

WHO LETS THESE PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH IS SORT OF THING!

:(

Can we all say LAWSUIT?

More like multiple lawsuits... multiple defendants, counter-suits...

Its the American way I guess.

Though this would certainly be better then the I slipped in vomit at a concert and cracked my head lawsuit from a few years back. Oh the days of personal responsibility.

I've never heard of that case... but still, that makes me beg the question, why was someone allowed to slip in vomit at a concert? Sounds like negligence to me. ;)

The US may have become a very litigious society, but we've also benefited from it. The mere threat of a lawsuit can ensure that things are done properly and that things get addressed/repaired sooner. Example, buckled and cracked sidewalks; a person can sue a city or threaten to sue a city if they're injured because they tripped on a huge crack in a sidewalk. Why wasn't the sidewalk repaired? And in the meantime, why weren't large orange maintenance cones put around the crack in the sidewalk, which I've seen done. Of course there's a chance that the grievance will be settled out of court.

I've never heard of that case... but still, that makes me beg the question, why was someone allowed to slip in vomit at a concert? Sounds like negligence to me. ;)

The US may have become a very litigious society, but we've also benefited from it. The mere threat of a lawsuit can ensure that things are done properly and that things get addressed/repaired sooner. Example, buckled and cracked sidewalks; a person can sue a city or threaten to sue a city if they're injured because they tripped on a huge crack in a sidewalk. Why wasn't the sidewalk repaired? And in the meantime, why weren't large orange maintenance cones put around the crack in the sidewalk, which I've seen done. Of course there's a chance that the grievance will be settled out of court.

True, but hey, at least everyone gets a chance, some countries pretty much say "stiff bikkies" (New Zealand included) and carry on.

I think what happened in New York is way and far above someone not watching where they are walking (except if they were blind of course). Naa sue pants off the developers, good job, they deserve it.

...And sue Bloomberg aswell, it was "his" city that allowed for over 30 violations to occur even as residents complained over and over again. :angry:

Archived