IOC Says Sweden Silent On 2026 Olympic Bid Guarantees As Milano-Cortina Set To Win Support

GBModerator

Reporting From Livigno, Italy – The International Olympic Committee (IOC) confirmed Wednesday that Sweden’s Stockholm-Åre 2026 Olympic Winter Games bid has yet to communicate with them about government guarantees since wrapping up an Evaluation Commission site visit March 16. Speaking from Livigno during a similar visit to Italy to inspect the Milano-Cortina 2026 bid, IOC Executive […]

The post IOC Says Sweden Silent On 2026 Olympic Bid Guarantees As Milano-Cortina Set To Win Support appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Sweden’s silence is actually really deafening. If they don’t meet the April 12th deadline while Italy has, then I would disregard that bid at that point. Cuz nothing is going to change with them in only 2-1/2 months that’s hasn’t changed in 2-1/2 years & more.

I think Stockholm will quietly withdraw between now & the 12th. It could work out that they get to avoid losing the 2026 vote, watch Milan & whoever gets 2030 hopefully bring the Winter Olympics back to a sensible budget (especially if Milan really can pull it off 1984-style) & then come back with real support for 2034. Olympic bidding is largely about picking your battles & I do fear for Stockholm’s result & reaction if they go up with no guarantees against a fully-backed Milan.