IOC Members

Guardian

Now that news is out of the way, it will be interesting on how many IOC members will be elected and who will be dropped, by the time Beijing 2008 comes around. I guess that most IF presidents do end up being IOC members, but not all of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know anything of IOC members that won't be present at the Session, or at least the vote?

I have read somewhere that 4 IOC members won't be present due to health or other personnal reasons.

I don't know the names though.

This means that 98 members should vote during the first round bringing the number of votes needed to win to 45.

This means that 98 members should vote during the first round bringing the number of votes needed to win to 45.

If 98 members are eligible to vote in the first round,then the number of votes needed to win must be 50,surely?

If 98 members are eligible to vote in the first round,then the number of votes needed to win must be 50,surely?

Hmmm this is embarrassing for me. Of course you are right, 50 is the magic number.

Does anyone know anything of IOC members that won't be present at the Session, or at least the vote?

Yo brother, how are you doin'? We have terrorists bombing us here - didn't that happen the last time you volunteered at the IOC Session? I say you're a bad omen.

Pernilla Wieberg is preggers, she can't be there for sure. Not sure who the other three are, I think that Indian fella? I also heard Jean-Claude Killy has cancer?

Well, for those wanting to see who and how many from your nation are current IOC members (111 of them), then click on the link below.

Link: Current IOC Member List

The list is in order of longest to shortest term(s) of that person being an IOC member: from Havelange of Brazil since 1963 to Saku Koivu of Finland last year.

cfm Jeremie, it looks like your wish has been heard. These potential new IOC members will most likely have their membership confirmed at Guatemala City in July.

- HRH Princess Haya bint Al-Hussein (United Arab Emirates)

- Patrick Baumann (Switzerland)

- Andrés Botero (Colombia)

- Rita Subowo (Indonesia)

This EB decision will have some ripple effect in various degrees. The most obvious one is that Switzerland will join Italy with FIVE IOC members again. Remember, it had five of them before, until Marc Hodler died recently. As for the other people here, they will have their respective nations represented in the IOC active membership for the first time ever or after a long while of not being represented.

So, what do you think of their individual elections as IOC members here?

Link: IOC: Four Candidates Stand For Election As IOC Members

On cue, these four people are now new IOC members. That brings the temporary total of IOC members to 115. I say temporary is because, at the end of 2007, FOUR IOC member will either become just IOC honorary members or leave the organization altogether. In other words, at the beginning of 2008, it will still be the 111 IOC members again.

Here are the ones that will have their active memberships expire at the end of 2007:

- Shagdarjay Magvan of MONGOLIA;

- Anani Matthia of TOGO;

- Ram Ruhee of MAURITIUS; and,

- Henri Serandour of FRANCE.

The first three must leave and become honorary members is because they will reach the age limit of 80 years old. The Frenchman is leaving the IOC because of unknown reasons at this time.

Link: IOC: New Movers And Shakers In The World Of Sport

The Frenchman is leaving the IOC because of unknown reasons at this time.

Link: IOC: New Movers And Shakers In The World Of Sport

He was elected in 2000 for an 8-year term so its term would have expired in Beijing anyway.

Then I think he has some problems with justice in France...

Probably better this way anyway. Serandour contribution to Olympism seems to be limited to the promotion of French language Woohoo...

He was elected in 2000 for an 8-year term so its term would have expired in Beijing anyway.

Then I think he has some problems with justice in France...

Probably better this way anyway. Serandour contribution to Olympism seems to be limited to the promotion of French language Woohoo...

Why was he not elected an Honourary Member unlike the other three?

Quote from the IOC article: "However, as he was elected in 2000, he will not become an IOC honorary member."

Because he was elected in 2000. The rule (becoming Honorary Member) states that a member must have been a member for at least 10 years to become a honorary member.

Because he was elected in 2000. The rule (becoming Honorary Member) states that a member must have been a member for at least 10 years to become a honorary member.

I see,thanks!

Archived