IOC Members

Guardian

Bet there'll be a few IOC members secretly breathing a sigh of relief now.

I doubt that. I mean, there's still a lot of goings-on there. Remember that BBC documentary that was targetting Havelange via Blatter about "FIFA corruption?" Never mind that South Korean is still under review from his alleged actions earlier and the "Pound WADA gabbing" that seems to be hitting certain people and sporting federations in the news recently. I think there will be more "house cleaning" soon at Lausanne.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt that. I mean, there's still a lot of goings-on there. Remember that BBC documentary that was targetting Havelange via Blatter about "FIFA corruption?" Never mind that South Korean is still under review from his alleged actions earlier and the "Pound WADA gabbing" that seems to be hitting certain people and sporting federations in the news recently. I think there will be more "house cleaning" soon at Lausanne.

Hodler certainly made enemies in the IOC, though, and remember that many people still blame Sion's loss of 2006 on a get-back on Hodler and the Swiss.

I wonder if he'll be replaced by another Swiss _ they have more than their fair share of IOC members already, don't they?

Hodler certainly made enemies in the IOC, though, and remember that many people still blame Sion's loss of 2006 on a get-back on Hodler and the Swiss.

I wonder if he'll be replaced by another Swiss _ they have more than their fair share of IOC members already, don't they?

Doubt that, too. Before Hodler's death, there were FIVE IOC members from Switzerland. That could incense some NOCs in the world that doesn't have "true representation" in the organization, if there were any attempt to elect in another Swiss to replace him. Here are the other Swiss IOC members currently serving right now:

- Gian-Franco KASPER;

- Joseph S. BLATTER;

- Rene FASEL, and;

- Denis OSWALD.

There are also a couple of NOCs that have "more than enough" IOC members in the list as well. Now, ITALY is the nation with the most IOC members with FIVE of them.

Doubt that, too. Before Hodler's death, there were FIVE IOC members from Switzerland. That could incense some NOCs in the world that doesn't have "true representation" in the organization, if there were any attempt to elect in another Swiss to replace him. Here are the other Swiss IOC members currently serving right now:

- Gian-Franco KASPER;

- Joseph S. BLATTER;

- Rene FASEL, and;

- Denis OSWALD.

There are also a couple of NOCs that have "more than enough" IOC members in the list as well. Now, ITALY is the nation with the most IOC members with FIVE of them.

It's a Tyrolean conspiracy!

fortunately the one man was part of the 2010 technical committee so he knows exactly what the IOC is looking for...and how to make the shortlist

roltel are there any instances that you can recall where a city just basically lied in their mini bid book or main bid book..something like our airport has a 15 million capacity when the capacity is actually like 6 million...

fortunately the one man was part of the 2010 technical committee so he knows exactly what the IOC is looking for...and how to make the shortlist

roltel are there any instances that you can recall where a city just basically lied in their mini bid book or main bid book..something like our airport has a 15 million capacity when the capacity is actually like 6 million...

Puppy would be the one who could answer that if he was around. I don't know about outright lies _ the stadiums etc of winning bids usually bear little resemblance to the bid renderings _ but i suppose the bids of the likes of Havana, Tashkent etc have probably tended to the side of gilding the lily.

• 2 months later...

The IOC has an article that an IOC honorary member, Judge Keba Mbaye of Senegal, has died in the age of 82:

Link: IOC: Death Of Judge Keba Mbaye, IOC Honorary Member Since 2002

However, for reasons unknown to me, the active IOC membership list contains only 111 members now. From the list I have from before, there used to be 113 of them. Could anyone tell me how these former IOC members got the boot?

- Major General Henry Edmund Olufemi Adefope of NIGERIA; and,

- Colonel Antonio Rodriguez of ARGENTINA.

(Forgive me, if the spelling of these names are incorrect.)

If their exits are for real, then there is no IOC members present from either nation. Plus, the Americas and Africa lost one IOC member each as well.

• 3 months later...

Wow. Talk about a topic not seen for a while.

Anyway, for our Kiwi friends here, the IOC has decided to make an article about one of its members from New Zealand.

Link: IOC-> Barbara Kendall: IOC Member, Mother And Successful Athlete

ARTP_2129_738_big.jpg

Kendall Holding The Princess Sofia Trophy

This is always a useful thread to keep updated, Guardian. And you do a good job at it.

As it's only a few months to the 2014 vote in Guatemala City, it might be useful to do an update _ what is the current IOC membership? Is there anybody new due to be admitted at the GC session? It must be due some time soon to start refreshing the younger members who sit by virtue of the athlete's commission?

The current IOC membership is still at the 111 mark. Unless there are deaths, resignations and the like, I think this number will stay until Beijing 2008.

The current IOC membership is still at the 111 mark. Unless there are deaths, resignations and the like, I think this number will stay until Beijing 2008.

Actually, I think there will be candidates to IOC membership at the Guatemala Session.

As for the elected athletes, the ones elected in Sydney will have to:

• either run for election in Beijing (which is possible for Alexander Popov since he competed in Athens)
  • be elected under other statute (NOC representative, IF representative): this concerns, among others, Sergey Bubka

Wow. Talk about a topic not seen for a while.

Anyway, for our Kiwi friends here, the IOC has decided to make an article about one of its members from New Zealand.

Link: IOC-> Barbara Kendall: IOC Member, Mother And Successful Athlete

ARTP_2129_738_big.jpg

Kendall Holding The Princess Sofia Trophy

barb kendall is a great new zealand athlete! THnanks for posting this

Actually, I think there will be candidates to IOC membership at the Guatemala Session.

As for the elected athletes, the ones elected in Sydney will have to:

• either run for election in Beijing (which is possible for Alexander Popov since he competed in Athens)
  • be elected under other statute (NOC representative, IF representative): this concerns, among others, Sergey Bubka

Well, cfm Jeremie, I'm all eyes and ears here. Whoever they are, they keeping their cards to themselves at this time.

Well, cfm Jeremie, I'm all eyes and ears here. Whoever they are, they keeping their cards to themselves at this time.

Well, we know that there was a Korean guy running for election who withdrew because he didn't want to intefere with PC's bid. That's why I suspect there will be some.

I think we should know more after the upcoming EB meeting in Beijing. The candidates have to be approved by the EC before being submitted to the Session's vote.

• 2 weeks later...

cfm Jeremie, it looks like your wish has been heard. These potential new IOC members will most likely have their membership confirmed at Guatemala City in July.

- HRH Princess Haya bint Al-Hussein (United Arab Emirates)

- Patrick Baumann (Switzerland)

- Andrés Botero (Colombia)

- Rita Subowo (Indonesia)

This EB decision will have some ripple effect in various degrees. The most obvious one is that Switzerland will join Italy with FIVE IOC members again. Remember, it had five of them before, until Marc Hodler died recently. As for the other people here, they will have their respective nations represented in the IOC active membership for the first time ever or after a long while of not being represented.

So, what do you think of their individual elections as IOC members here?

Link: IOC: Four Candidates Stand For Election As IOC Members

Ah, so the Swiss again keep their numbers up. It's amazing that for a country that has always seemeed to have moreb than it's share of IOC members, it has been so unlucky in trying to win a games themselves (St Moritz is still their only hurrah). Wasn;'t there a bit of a backlash a few years ago when JAS (or was it already Rogge) tried to bring in a sixth Swiss IOC member (Ogi?) and it was rejected by the wider membership?

Ah, so the Swiss again keep their numbers up. It's amazing that for a country that has always seemeed to have moreb than it's share of IOC members, it has been so unlucky in trying to win a games themselves (St Moritz is still their only hurrah). Wasn;'t there a bit of a backlash a few years ago when JAS (or was it already Rogge) tried to bring in a sixth Swiss IOC member (Ogi?) and it was rejected by the wider membership?

Well, three of these IOC members are there as presidents of IF (Blatter for FIFA, Oswald for Rowing and Kasper (Gasper?) for FIS).

And yea it's true that Ogi, former Swiss Confederation President and former head of Sion 2006 bid committee was rejected.

Actually, the high number of Swiss members within the IOC (plus the large number of Swiss high level staff members within the IOC) could be one of the reasons why Switzerland has not hosted the Games in a long time.

Archived