FISU's Universiades

For 2009 I have listed the following "potential" bids:

- Belgrade, Serbia-Montenegro

- Belfast, United Kingdom

- Edmonton or Montreal, Canada (letter of intent submitted early March 04 - decision on Canadian candidate on May 17th)

- Leipzig, Germany

- The Netherlands

- San Antonio, Texas

and Harbin, PR China for Winter

Any other info ?

This is starting to become the 2007 races again, in basic terms. What I mean by this is the "many" bids for the 2009 SUMMER Universiade while there is only ONE candidate city for the winter counterpart. Is the Winter Universiade losing popularity?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that any British city will bid for the Universiade after the event nearly bankrupted the City of Sheffield in 1991. The Universiade is never shown on British TV.....people are just not all that interested in University sports in the UK.

As for Belfast, they have enough political problems that I am almost 100% sure that neither the City Council or the Northern Ireland Assembly would ever be able to agree on the funding or staging of the event.

I doubt that any British city will bid for the Universiade after the event nearly bankrupted the City of Sheffield in 1991. The Universiade is never shown on British TV.....people are just not all that interested in University sports in the UK.

As for Belfast, they have enough political problems that I am almost 100% sure that neither the City Council or the Northern Ireland Assembly would ever be able to agree on the funding or staging of the event.

Sheffield was nearly bankrupt because of the 1991 Summer Universiade? That is surprising to me big time. What happened precisely then?

Sheffield was nearly bankrupt because of the 1991 Summer Universiade? That is surprising to me big time. What happened precisely then?

Basically all the major sponsors pulled out because none of the major Britsh TV channels were interested in the event, leaving the City with a budget gap of around £11 million ($17 million). This was also partly due to the fact that the UK was in the middle of a very bad economic recession. Thatcher refused to bail the Council out....much to the anger of the Council. I think they finally stopped paying for the debts in 2002...11 years after the event. This was also in the middle of a big economic recession in the UK which hit Sheffield hard because it closed down much of the steel industry on which the city used to rely.....so I guess there were a number of factors involved.

The stadiums and facilities built for the 1991 Universiade were also a tad ostentacious for an event of the size of the Universiade....although the English Institure of Sport was set up on the back of them in the late 1990's and so they now act as a premiere training camp for Englsh/British atheletes.... it was also proposed to use them for the 2005 IAAF's when London pulled out....but the IAAF were not interested.

The games were a big organistional success and some say they made other northern cities like Manchester sit up and try to bid for other events....before that nobody thought any English City outside of London could pull of such an event.....although the government has been keen since to ensure that such events have water tight funding.

I know that despite heavy interest in Uni sports in the US the 1993 Games in Buffalo were also scaled back and made a loss.

I see, Ripley. Too bad for Sheffield then. I hope it has fully recovered from that experience.

As for the USA, it will be interesting if it will bid for the 2009 Summer Universiade. Like you said, it has not hosted it since Buffalo, NY, 1993 and it has been the only one so far, for a nation that has hosted the most Summer Olympics.

• 5 weeks later...
It is about less than a month-and-a-half of time left before all interested candidate cities must submit their bids for the 2009 Winter and Summer Universiades to the FISU.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it is a month from now before all bids for either the 2009 Winter or the 2009 Summer Universiade must be handed in to the FISU.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very sad news for Izmir 2005. The mayor of Izmir and president of the 2005 Summer Universiade organizing committee has passed away suddenly. Now what for the city and the organizers??

Izmir Mayor And President Of Universiade 2005 Committee Dies Suddenly

:cry:  :o  :shocked:

Very sad news for Izmir 2005. The mayor of Izmir and president of the 2005 Summer Universiade organizing committee has passed away suddenly. Now what for the city and the organizers??

Izmir Mayor And President Of Universiade 2005 Committee Dies Suddenly

:cry:  :o  :shocked:

Oh I haven't heard about this my self!

My how tragic considering the high authoirty he held in being the Mayor of Izmir and the President of the 2005 summer University Games in Izmir.

I am sure that the games will go ahead as scheduled to show that his hard work will pay off as Izmir will stage a successful Universade Games to which he has long hoped for.

He's the center figures in the Image below:

secim9chp.jpg

Today is the last day for interested cities for the 2009 Winter and Summer Universiades to submit their bids to FISU. Which ones will be in?

2009 Winter Universiade bids:

Harbin, China

Erzurum, Turkey

2009 Summer Universiade bids:

Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro

Monterrey, Mexico

Poznan, Poland

Harbin, China

Erzurum, Turkey

Monterrey, Mexico

Poznan, Poland

1 Asian bid (winter), 1 North American bid (summer), and 3 European ones. Now, it is the evaluation phase, which will end in December of this year.

• 4 weeks later...
Is Erzurum 2009 a preparation for an Olympic bid?

I doubt it.

As for Belgrade, is it the city's first time for a Universiade bid? I do remember vaguely that the Serbian city tried an Olympic bid once.

• 4 weeks later...
Is Erzurum 2009 a preparation for an Olympic bid?

I doubt it.

As for Belgrade, is it the city's first time for a Universiade bid? I do remember vaguely that the Serbian city tried an Olympic bid once.

Belgrade bid for the 1996 games, along with Melbourne, Manchester, Athens and of course Atlanta.

• 3 weeks later...
In how far helps the hosting of an Universiade to a city bidding for Olympic Games?

Not much at all, apparently. Both the FISU and the IOC have different standards, with the FISU having "lenient" rules more. More so, the Universiades seem to be more popular in some areas of the world than others. For example, the USA has hosted EIGHT Olympic Games (4 summer and 4 winter) so far. In comparison, only TWO Universiades have ever been held there: both in New York State and 1 of each.

Harbin, China

Erzurum, Turkey

Monterrey, Mexico

Poznan, Poland

Let the evaulations for these cities begin!

Archived