Venues

I don't trust Gangneung to downhill just 30 minutes and Incheon Airport to Pyeongchang just 68 minutes. It's hard to understand. They did not consider that interval and bus transfer, traffic time.

Maybe they are planning to cover the whole northern part of the country in Olympic Lanes. :lol:

Thats the thing why not do it for the Olympics?

Apparently, the real answer has surfaced. Ice hockey does NOT automatically qualify the host nation. So therefore, if I were the host nation, and I'm not Canada, Sweden, the USA, Russia or Germany -- then why should I build a palace for a sport where I'm not automatically in. Makes total sense to me.

Apparently, the real answer has surfaced. Ice hockey does NOT automatically qualify the host nation. So therefore, if I were the host nation, and I'm not Canada, Sweden, the USA, Russia or Germany -- then why should I build a palace for a sport where I'm not automatically in. Makes total sense to me.

The IIHF said they aren't sure yet. But I thought this was one of the rights as host nation, that you get automatic entry to all Olympic tournaments? Isn't there a rule embedded somewhere?

I understand the IIHF's concerns about Korea being blown out by the hockey powerhouses, but it will be hard to deny the host nation at least some playing time at the Olympics. If the IIHF really doesn't want Korea to face Canada/Russia, then maybe they could decide on a format similar to 1998 where there was a preliminary round before a final round, while giving the top 6 nations a bye to the final round. That way Korea gets to form an Olympic hockey team but won't get to face the top teams without earning it, rather than just shutting the host nation out of the tournament completely.

No the host nations gets a spot ie. Italy and Japan. My concern was if the arena is going to be dismantled afterwards why not build just a 2,000 seat bigger arena? That would allow for more fans to show up.

1. No the host nations gets a spot ie. Italy and Japan.

2. My concern was if the arena is going to be dismantled afterwards why not build just a 2,000 seat bigger arena? That would allow for more fans to show up.

1. Yeah, that's what I thought but cjs2 on another thread said otherwise.

2. But like any modular thing you have at home. When you assemble it; and then you move, and put it together...that's the way it stays. That's just the most common sense explanation to me as to why it's NOT possible to increase it PLUS all those other reasons.

1. Yeah, that's what I thought but cjs2 on another thread said otherwise.

2. But like any modular thing you have at home. When you assemble it; and then you move, and put it together...that's the way it stays. That's just the most common sense explanation to me as to why it's NOT possible to increase it PLUS all those other reasons.

Never mind, upon doing further research they will not get an automatic spot.

• 2 months later...

Taken from http://blog.paran.com/blog/detail/postBoard.kth?blogDataId=45238424&pmcId=blue5191&page=0&totalCount=0&pageStyle=null&myCateId=0&yearMonth=null&rDay=null&style=Album

Alpensia with its respective sports events shown in the form of icons, with Jungbong in the background.

alpen.jpg

A close-up of part of Alpensia

alpen2.jpg

Bokwang Phoenix Park, home of freestyle skiing and snowboarding

bokwang.jpg

Jungbong, downhill skiing

jungbong.jpg

The city of Gangneung from above, home of skating, hockey and curling in the coastal cluster

gangneung.jpg

Archived