Rewatched The Beijing Oc Last Night

and discovered 2 new things:

1. Didn't see it the first time (on the NBC version) but after the Globe portion was over, and it had sunnk back into the ground; and then all those perky little Chinese maidens put away the umbrellas with the kids' faces on them; there was this horde of costumed dances (I imagine form the pre-show) come out on the track, and do their thing again? What was that for?

2. There was a 5th invention which was only mentioned and shown briefly in passing? What was it?

1. They were meant to represent all of the different ethnic groups in China, dressed in their traditional clothes.

2. No idea! Sorry!

#1 - I understand that. But what I meant was...what was the point in bringing them out again at that point???

#2 - The kite. Of course, it was made outta paper -- but I am surprised they didn't make a big deal about that.

#1 - I understand that. But what I meant was...what was the point in bringing them out again at that point???

I suspect it was a transition act to allow all the participants and props to leave the stage and the marshall to be take their place for the Athletes Parade.

I just got my NBC Opening Ceremonies DVD and it is a PIECE OF CRAP!!! Ten Mayflower productions STINKS!!! The picture is like a VHS Dub, it's so bad, the audio is only two channel stereo that half the time sounds like Monaural. NBC's as well as the USOC logos are on the package and it's listed as an official licensed product of the USOC, and Dick Ebersol's name is on the package as executive producer. I bet if Dick Ebersol sat down and actually watched this DVD set he's be horrified. I bet he hasn't seen it. People on Amazon (where I ordered it from had been trashing the picture and audio quality and giving it low ratings, but I thought "hey, it can't be THAT bad". OH YES IT CAN!!! Plus, the music during the NBC introduction about China and the music that played under Tom Brokaw's documentary news report was re-scored, it's NOT the same music was used during the broadcast - I guess they thought no one would notice, but I did. I mean geez, how much would it have cost for them to license the music for distribution on DVD (should have been Blu-Ray)??? Even worse is that there is a PIRATE copy of NBC"s complete 4 hour broadcast on BitTorrent that is superior. It's in Hi-Def, has superior multi-channel sound and the orginal music score as broadcast on television. I know, because I have the pirate download too. I bought the DVD though so I could have the official product etc in case and all that jazz, but what a rip off!!! Glad I bought it on Amazon and didn't pay NBC's asking price but still, it's just a disgrace!

• 3 weeks later...

/\ You should send in your comments to NBC. U never know what will come back.

Pre-DVD, and I was living in Atlanta at the time of the Lillehammer Olympics; and we had a blackout during part of the OC telecast. I called CBS-New York the day after and asked how I could get a copy even though they had nothing to do with the blackout. Well, they sent me 2 tapes of their coverage plus a lot of pre-show stuff. Bless their hearts.

/\ You should send in your comments to NBC. U never know what will come back.

Pre-DVD, and I was living in Atlanta at the time of the Lillehammer Olympics; and we had a blackout during part of the OC telecast. I called CBS-New York the day after and asked how I could get a copy even though they had nothing to do with the blackout. Well, they sent me 2 tapes of their coverage plus a lot of pre-show stuff. Bless their hearts.

Question is, do I tell Ebersol about the home made Pirate version ripped from someone's DVR that puts their commercial version to shame and admit that I have that version too....

Question is, do I tell Ebersol about the home made Pirate version ripped from someone's DVR that puts their commercial version to shame and admit that I have that version too....

Tell him that you've seen it -- mention the comparisons. Don't admit to owning a copy. I am also sure they are aware of it by now -- and probably have more important things to do than chase these pirate) or other network versions going around.

BTW, I had a friend dupe the other Asian (w/ English commnetary) version someone gave me (NOT the Official Chinese one) and it required a DL (DoubleLoad) disc. I didn't know such a thing existed.

Also, on Youtube, I think I've seen the BBC version of some parts of the OC, and they have GREAT camera angles NOT seen on the other versions.