Jamaican Bobsled Team - Preparing For 2010!

SkiFreak

Excellent! New Zealand have also done a similar thing to the Jamaicans with ex 100m national record holder in our national team! They are only 0.1 second away from the fastest push start of the year so promicing signs form the kiwi bobsled team

• 1 year later...

Jamaican Bobsled Fails to Qualify for Games

There will be no “Cool Runnings” this time around in a Canadian Olympics.

The Jamaican national bobsled team, which gained acclaim in its Winter Olympics debut at Calgary in 1988 and spawned a Disney movie loosely based on the experience, did not qualify a sled for the Vancouver Games.

The team had spent the last few weeks hoping for a spot. Hannukkah Wallace, the team’s driver, is ranked among the top 50 drivers and the squad benefited from sleds donated by the American bobsledder Todd Hays. But a preliminary list of qualifiers did not include the team, according to The Associated Press.

“I’m in tears, man,” said Devon Harris, a member of the original national team in 1988, in a telephone interview. “It’s one of those things. It’s highly disappointing. Our team worked very hard and fell short.”

Harris said the team was vying for a wild card slot and finished two sleds short of making the Olympics. The team’s attention, he said, is already turned to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

“We intend to come back and come back huge,” Harris said. “This is not the end.”

http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/05/jamaican-bobsled-fails-to-qualify-for-games/

Well, at least there will be a Jamaican athlete at the games (in Skicross), which means that there will be a Jamaican team in Vancouver, unlike Turin.

Man, that sucks. I was really hoping to cheer the guys on. Hope they get to Sochi. Whistler just lost a good attraction. :(

Well, if you want an oddity you will get to see the Liechtenstein Bobsled team that, if my info is correct, qualified for the first time in over 50 years.