2010 U.s. Figure Skating Championships

The City of Spokane, Washington was chosen as host of the 2010 U.S. Figure Skating Championships which serves as Olympic Trials for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. The other bidders were Portland, San Jose and Providence.

Here's the official press release from the U.S. Figure Skating.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=41450

This will be Spokane's second hosting. They first hosted the even in 2007. This also marks the sixth time the state of Washington will be hosting the event. Previous Washington hosting were 1951, 1960 and 1969 in Seattle, 1987 in Tacoma and most recently in Spokane in 2007

U.S. Figure Skating Championships Host Cities from 1980-present

1980 Atlanta

1981 San Diego

1982 Indianapolis

1983 Pittsburgh

1984 Salt Lake City

1985 Kansas City

1986 Uniondale

1987 Tacoma

1988 Denver

1989 Baltimore

1990 Salt Lake City

1991 Minneapolis

1992 Orlando

1993 Phoenix

1994 Detroit

1995 Providence

1996 San Jose

1997 Nashville

1998 Philadelphia

1999 Salt Lake City

2000 Cleveland

2001 Boston

2002 Los Angeles

2003 Dallas

2004 Atlanta

2005 Portland

2006 St. Louis

2007 Spokane

2008 St. Paul

2009 Cleveland

2010 Spokane

Is it just me or Spokane was chosen because of its proximity to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics here?

Is it just me or Spokane was chosen because of its proximity to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics here?

No. I don't think so. I mean all the skaters and winners would have to go home first anyway before heading for Vancouver.

Also, USFS always tries to distribute their championships evenly. Spokane must've done a really good job last year ago (it almost had sell-out crowds) + the other three must've sucked. In addition:

- S probably offered the most advantageous financial incentives for the USFS;

- Spokane must've had really good practice facilities as well; and

- perhaps it had the ice rink whose dimensions are closest to Vancouver's.

Aside from Spokane setting attendance record, beating L.A. 02 and Portland 05 they really pursued this event like the 2009 Worlds which went to L.A. also USFSA is no longer rotating the championships. Too bad for the East coast since Atlanta 04 was the last east coast hosting and 2 out of the last 3 Figure skating trials have been held in Pacific time zones.

No. I don't think so. I mean all the skaters and winners would have to go home first anyway before heading for Vancouver.

Also, USFS always tries to distribute their championships evenly. Spokane must've done a really good job last year ago (it almost had sell-out crowds) + the other three must've sucked. In addition:

- S probably offered the most advantageous financial incentives for the USFS;

- Spokane must've had really good practice facilities as well; and

- perhaps it had the ice rink whose dimensions are closest to Vancouver's.

pracice facility is the convention center.

I see, baron. I would have thought that the USFS used some kind of general thinking, like the way it chose Denver for the 1988 Nationals. One could very generally see that Calgary (1988 Winter Olympics) and Denver has the "same feel" to it, in terms of physical geography and the like.

Archived