How To Influence What We Get To See

I am a GB newbie but have done a fair amount of study of past winter games. I am wondering if anyone has any advice/pointers on how to dig deeper into the process, organizations, decision makers of deciding which events are available for world viewers to see. I realize there are TV rights but there is much more to determining what TV viewers (and that is only ONE of MANY ways to distribute game content) get to see. I would like to see the world audience get to enjoy the winter games even more but it seems that our virtual view of the games is severely limited and I would love to open much more content to the world. Any help from you all would be fabulous! Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the boards - at my knowledge the TV-company of the hosting county, which got the TV-rights, provides every sport event - the TV-companies of the different nations have the possibility to choose what sport event is shown in its country...

It would be amazing if the TV-companies have to show all the events life on several channels...

It would be amazing if the TV-companies have to show all the events life on several channels...

Actually, in Australia the system for the past few games has been for main coverage by the local host rights holder to be on one channel (Channel 7), and coverage of "minority" sports to be hived off and shown on one of the public broadcasters (SBS).

I am a GB newbie but have done a fair amount of study of past winter games. I am wondering if anyone has any advice/pointers on how to dig deeper into the process, organizations, decision makers of deciding which events are available for world viewers to see. I realize there are TV rights but there is much more to determining what TV viewers (and that is only ONE of MANY ways to distribute game content) get to see. I would like to see the world audience get to enjoy the winter games even more but it seems that our virtual view of the games is severely limited and I would love to open much more content to the world. Any help from you all would be fabulous! Cheers!

Well, what is covered is at the choice of the rights holder in a particular country. The host broadcaster of the games is responsible for making sure there are video feeds of all sports _ it is up to the rights holders in individual countries then to choose from these feeds what events they are going to broadcast in their home market (and they usually augment the official host broadcasdter feed with extra footage of their own, usually from outside the actual competition). Naturally, their decisions will be with an eye to ratings _ which events they think will be most popular. As I said above, in Australia at least at Athens, a second network did broadcast some of the less popular sports.

The big question that could shake all this up will be the internet and streaming video coverage. That would certainly open up the posssibity for people to bhe able to access coverage of any event they want. To my mind, though, this is an issue the IOC has not dealt properly with yet and probably has some fear of in terms of what it will do to the value of its conventional TV rights.

The big question that could shake all this up will be the internet and streaming video coverage. That would certainly open up the posssibity for people to bhe able to access coverage of any event they want. To my mind, though, this is an issue the IOC has not dealt properly with yet and probably has some fear of in terms of what it will do to the value of its conventional TV rights.

Yes, I think the Internet streaming is a HUGE potential means to get content to those that want to see what the TV networks will not show. Indeed, TV broadcasts are one means to see events. In the U.S., it seems NBC focuses on figure skating and curling. Good luck to those who want to see something else. You just cannot see the event at all. That is sad and a disservice to the fans. I want to see that change somehow.

Archived