Manchester 1996/2000

OlympIAN1981

Manchester 96 Plan (source bid book):

Most olympic venues would have been located in the Barton Cross Olympic Centre: Olympic Village, Olympic Stadium, Olympic Arena, Olympic Swimming Pool, Main Press Centre, Media Village, a small Broadcast Centre and hotels.

IOC Hotel: Midland Hotel

IBC: Granada TV Manchester

Besides Manchester, venues were located in Liverpool (football, fencing, part of modern pentathlon, table tennis), in Chester (archery, shooting, canoeing, rowing) and Pwilheli (sailing).

List of venues:

Archery - Carden Park (35 mn from OV, 5,000 spectators)

Athletics - Olympic Stadium at Barton Cross (access by foot from OV, 80,000 spectators) - built for the Games

Badminton - Ordsall Stadium in Salford (10 mn from OV, 5,000 spectators) - modular stadium (i.e. multi-purpose stadium) built for the Games

Baseball - Old Trafford (15 mn from OV, 20,000) existing + Wytheshawe Park (10 mn, 10,000) new

Basketball - new Manchester arena (15 mn, 12,000) - modular stadium built for the Games

Boxing - Zeri stadium in Huncoat (20 mn, 12,000) - planned

Canoeing - flat water in Chester on Dee river (35 mn, NA) and whitewater in Burrs (20 mn)

Cycling - Tameside Velodrome (20 mn)

Swimming - Olympic Swimming Pool at Barton Cross (access by foot from OV, 8,000 for diving, 10,000 for swimming) - purpose built

Equestrian - Haydock Park (15 mn, 40,000)

Fencing - Festival Hall in Liverpool (4,000)

Football - Old Trafford, Anfield, Goodison Park, Main Road

Gymnastics - the Olympic Arena at Barton Cross (access by foot, 20,000) - purpose built

Handball - Oldham stadium (20 mn, 6,000) finals at the Olympic Arena - existing

Hockey - Bolton (20 mn, 20,000)

Judo - Modular Stadium of Platt Fields (15 mn, 5,000)

Modern Pentathlon - Carden Park in Chester (running, shooting), Festival Hall in Liverpool (fencing), Haydock Park (equestrian), swimming at the Olympic Swimming Pool

Rowing - Chester on Dee river (35 mn, NA)

Shooting - Carden Park in Chester

Table Tennis - King's Dock Stadium in Liverpool (30 mn, 10,000)

Tennis - Matchpoint, Bramhall (20 mn, 10,000 + 2 * 3,000)

Volley Ball - G Mex (15 mn, 5,000) + finals at the Olympic Arena - undeer refurbishment

Weightlifting - Granada Centre (10 mn, 6,000) - under construction

Wrestling - Botlon Stadium (20 mn, 5,000) - to be built

Sailing - Pwllheli

Macnhester 2000 Plan (source, Bid Executive Summary)

The plan is similar but slightly more compact. There was also a much stronger commitment from the Government and the Olympic Stadium, Velodrome were to be built irrespectively of the candidature outcome (and were built).

The Olympic Village was to be located by the canal linking Manchester downtown to the Olympic Centre.

Archery: Hough End (4,000 spectators - 10 mn from Olympic Village) -> to be built in an existing open sports park South of the city

Athletics: Olympic Stadium (80,000 - walking distance from OV) -> was built and used during the Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games

Badminton: Eastlands indoor stadium (6,000 - walking distance) -> to be built for the Games and used as a national training centre after the games

Base-Ball: Lancashire County Cricket Club (20,000 - 10 mn) and Wythenshawe Park (10,000 - 15 mn) -> first one existing, second to be temporarly buit for the Games

Basket-ball: G-Mex and its annex (11,000 and 4,000 - 10 mn) and Victoria Stadium (19,300 - 10 mn) -> exisitng, under contruction

Boxing: Kings Dock in Liverpool (10,000 - 45 mn) -> to be built

Canoe: Rivington Lake (25,000 - 20 mn) -> existing

Cycling: Cyncling National Centre (5,000 - walking distance) -> under construction (has recently hosted the World Champs)

Equestrian: Haydock Park (30,000 - 20 mn) and Tatton Park (100,000 - 20 mn) -> existing for the first one, temporary installation for the second one

Fencing: Air and Space Museum (3,000 - 10 mn) -> existing

Football: Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sunderland, Newcastle

Gymnastics: Victoria Stadium (16,400 - 10 mn) and Eastlands indoor stadium (6,000 - walking distance)

Handball: Salford University (6,000 - 10 mn) and G-Mex (11,000 - 10 mn) -> new and existing

Hockey: Boundary Park (20,000 - 15 mn) -> an additional field to be built

Judo: Old Trafford (8,000 - 10 mn) -> new indoor arena to be built

Modern Pentathlon: Air & Space Museum, Carden Park, Haydock Park and Tatton Park

Rowing: Penninghton Flash (30,000 - 20 mn) -> existing

Shooting: Carden Park (2,500 - 60 mn) -> new

Swimming: Meadow Olympic Park (21,500 - 20 mn) -> new complex to be built for the Games

Table Tennis: Manchester University (8,000 - 5 mn) -> existing

Tennis: Matchpoint (10,000 4,000 and 2,000 - 20 mn) -> existing, to be expanded for the Games

Volley-ball: Kings Dock indoor arena and Kings Dock exhibition Centre in Liverpool (12,000 and 6,000 - 45 mn) -> to be built

Weightlifting: Stretford leasure centre (5,000 - 10 mn) -> existing venue to be extended

Wrestling: G-Mex (6,000 - 10 mn) -> existing

Sailing: Pwllheli (30,000 - 150 mn) -> exisitng with satellite OV to be built.

• 2 years later...

A bit of info on the 1996 bid, and the blame seemingly put on Seb Coe for the failure of London to be the bid city of choice for 2000. Published prior to the outcome of the 1993 votes for the 2000 games.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VAO9AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA116&dq=Barton+Cross+Olympic+Centre&cd=1#v=onepage&q=Barton%20Cross%20Olympic%20Centre&f=false

I imagine this book is probably well known amongst some people here - looks to have a significant chapter on Britain bidding for the game (basically Birmingham 92 and Manchester 96), most of which can be read via Google, though some pages are not available on the preview.

Hmmm...interesting to see there was a lobby group in favour of a London bid. That would have been a great spoiler for both Beijing and Sydney, and I actually think London could have won. Of course if history had played out differently Melbourne would have been the Australian bid instead of the eventual 2000 host.

I recall that Manchester did exceedingly well with its communication plan, but aside from that ranked behind Sydney or Beijing in the tech report. And Bob Scott who was the bid leader had a good rep for the second attempt. And whilst all Sydney 2000 supporters would never have wanted to see the games go to Manchester (unless it was there or Beijing), we're very grateful for the bloc of votes Manchester brought to Sydney for the final round.

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys,

I wonder if you can help me - I'm doing some research on the Manchester 1996 / 2000 Olympic bids, and can't seem to find anything relating to the actual content of the bids, or copies of the bid books. Does anyone have any details they could share?

Thanks,

I

I HAVE THE 1996 MANCHESTER BID BOOK FOR SALE (email me at peterb107 AT btinternet DOT COM

Archived